Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Prefab garages anyone had one?
  • Premier Icon xcgb
    Free Member

Hi all
    I have just purchased the garage next to mine on a plot not attached to the house and am now wondering what to do with them! they are in pretty poor state so i am considering putting a double in place of the 2 singles.

anyone used prefabs? recommendations and any idea of what it cost would be helpful

Or if anyone has any ideas to make a great garage workshop cheaply another way feel free to throw in your two penneth

Ta all

Premier Icon xcgb
    Free Member

Bump!

Premier Icon MrNutt
    Free Member

yeah she was a dirty slaaag, faqr more accomodating than a shed, I find them to be too poncy and always demanding things like new coats, begging for shelves to be put up etc

I suggest you find one and go out for a bike ride

I hope that helps?

Premier Icon turin
    Free Member

They are pretty cost effective unless you know a friendly builder whois short of work just now?

A few friends have them and they seem pretty happy with what they offer for the price. Yo have to watch out when fitting shelves etc as they are thin in the middle of all the sections. One bonus is that I dont think you need planning permission (certainly in Scotland) as they are technically not a permanent structure as they are not fixed to the ground, just sitting on the concrete slab. Its also easy to buy, or acquire extra sections and magically expand them.

No doubt people will be along to say that they are crap and the only way to do it right is build something from scratch, which it probably is but the prefab ones are much less expensive and quicker to put up

HTH

Premier Icon xcgb
    Free Member

Mr nut hmm thanks,,,,,,
    Turin thats helpful good point re shelving ta

Premier Icon epicyclo

Good source for the panels?

Premier Icon turin
    Free Member

A friend got some out of the free ad papers like cahoot or similar plus freecycle.

it might end up looking like a mongrel if the panels have different harling on them,if thats a problem I suppose you could always paint the lot of them

Premier Icon Rockhopper
    Free Member

Try these people http://www.nucrete.co.uk/

The bit about them being a temporary structure is a bit misleading – you have certain permitted development rights if you are building within your own boundary however its quite complicated and you are always advised to speak to the council first.

Premier Icon fubar
    Free Member

Investigated but didn't buy one. Cost I found was anywhere from £1500 to £8k (plus…) plus the cost installing a flat concrete base first

Premier Icon spooky_b329

If security isn't an issue, how about a big wooden shed style garage, you can get them with proper garage doors etc. My gf's Dad bought one second hand.

Personally I'd use it as an excuse to practise some bricklaying and just build it out of concrete blocks 🙂 How hard can it be…

Premier Icon xcgb
    Free Member

Spooky that thought had occurred to me too!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Prefab garages anyone had one?’ is closed to new replies.