• This topic has 105 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by dazh.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Predictions for the future
  • jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Not gonna lie, the world has changed a lot in my 42 years on earth… from bikes with all kinds of bouncy goodness, to phones that are like something out of star trek (albeit dusted with crack cocaine).

What can we expect 100 years from now?

What will life be like for your great grandchildren…

hols2
    Free Member

The Rolling Stones doing yet another farewell tour.

johndoh
    Free Member

A very good question and one I often ponder. I am 50 years old and I grew up with three TV channels (with channels off air for much of each 24 hour cycle). I saw the first freely available calculators and digital watches, video recorders and video rental shops. I played the first computer games and even when I set my web design agency up 14 years ago the first ‘smart’ phones were barely in existence. The rate of acceleration of technical advances seems to magnify year on year and I really can’t imagine what life will be like in 100 years time.

slowoldman

More open, accountable government and world peace.

Nah, only joking, fascism.

binners

matt_outandabout

These guys predicted it really well…

seosamh77
    Free Member

They made a documentary about this:

scaredypants

hoverboards in the next 50 years – or I’m out and taking you all with me

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Rolling Stones doing yet another farewell tour.

Or the Stones not having finished their current farewell tour…

Petorl cars to be only seen in a museum

Less borders

perchypanther
    Free Member

I, for one, welcome our new lizard overlords.

Drac

Nico
    Free Member

I, for one, welcome our new lizard overlords.

What Kent said.

Anyway why are we only invited to make predictions for the future. My prediction for the past is that Hitler will lose the second world war.

</thread>

PJay
    Free Member

These guys predicted it really well…

Every 10 years or so Tomorrow’s World used to do a look back programme  to see how they’d done. Some things were spot on, others not so and I think that the computer revolution & Internet caught a lot of folk by surprise. One thing that they repeatedly predicted over the decades (and they weren’t alone) was the domestic robot (I’m pretty sure it turned up as a failure on a number of their look back programmes); currently we seem to have small plastic slabs that make a piss poor attempt to vacuum the carpet or mow the lawn.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member
    jivehoneyjive
    Free Member
    deadkenny
    Free Member

Will be dead in 100 years. Likely 50 even, potentially far less than that going by statistical life span, risk of the C word, or just killing myself on the bike.

What happens then means nothing. Just worm food and non-existence for eternity.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

We’ve always been born from meat and destined for compost, so that’s not really a prediction for change in the future…

Course, I could harp on about the past and how Tesla had wireless power transmission, before it was scuppered by those with large investments in the copper industry, or how the fibre and oil in hemp (a sustainable crop) led to the demonization of reefer, but that’s all in the past.

The future however is there for the moulding and it’s down to us all…

maccruiskeen

We’ve always been born from meat and destined for compost, so that’s not really a prediction for change in the future…

theres a theory that the first immortal human being has already been born – that someone born now could live to see exponential increases in life saving and life extending practices and treatments – by the time they are 100 it’ll one possible to live to 1000 and so on- over the last few thousand years we’ve gone from life expectancies of around 25 years to our current 80 years or so – and currently centarians are the the fastest growing age group. So we’ve effectively quadrupled our life span in that time and some don’t think its impossible for that to increase, and for the rate of increased to accerate.

But thats for someone born now, not living now – sop not us…. As antibiotics fail (pretty much as Flemming predicted they would) we’ll be the generation that dies of diseases that our great grandparents died of, but which our parents, and up til now, us,  could easily have treated. Cancer, stroke and heart disease will be over taken by cuts and scratches as the biggest causes of death

maxtorque

Read this and wonder:

hols2
    Free Member

Cancer, stroke and heart disease will be over taken by cuts and scratches as the biggest causes of death

If you cure all the other causes of death, everyone will eventually die of cancer of some sort. Each cancer is unique, so no chance of a general cure. Given long enough, healthy cells will eventually produce cancer cells and you’ll eventually die.

thepurist

I’m hoping for evidence that there is/has been intelligent extraterrestrial life  the ensuing meltdown between science, religion, conspiracy theorists and plain nay-sayers would be great to watch.

PJay
    Free Member

theres a theory that the first immortal human being has already been born –

It’s certainly possible (although it’ll probably only be available to those that can pay – H G Wells’ Eloi & Morlocks perhaps).

There are also plenty of extinction theories including super volcanoes, comet/asteroid impacts, a catastrophic (already ongoing) decline in human sperm counts and a runaway greenhouse effect that would leave the Earth in a similar state to Venus.

bikebouy
    Free Member

A machine to make tea, that tastes like tea.

British Rail to take over the current Franchise Phi-Ass-Co.

Sports Direct to buy out Amazon.

IT systems to use one universal language, and talk to each other.

Water to cost the same as Petrol per litre.

Food shortages, except genetically modified.

China to run the worlds shipping fleets.

Door sensors to open doors as you walk towards them.

tomhoward

Discounted water? Never!

piha
    Free Member

Following on from ThePurist, I would like to see God/religion either completely proved or disproved by science, facts and evidence. Either way and irrefutably. It would stop so much of the discourse we see today.

amedias
    Free Member

If you cure all the other causes of death, everyone will eventually die of cancer of some sort. Each cancer is unique, so no chance of a general cure. Given long enough, healthy cells will eventually produce cancer cells and you’ll eventually die.

Even if a generalised ‘cure’ is not available*, specific treatments and mitigation could still be possible that will essentially render cancer one of those mild annoyances that gets dealt with as a ‘day case’ at your local hospital. Maybe not in 100 years, but ‘the future’ is a very long time for us to get good at stuff, I live in hope.

The problem is if you can and do cure all causes fo death, you’re left with accidents and ‘spontaneous’ illness as the only controls of the population, which causes a whole set of other problems…

*who knows, maybe it is if we can understand and control the mechanism that means

healthy cells will eventually produce cancer cells

PJay
    Free Member

*who knows, maybe it is if we can understand and control the mechanism that means

healthy cells will eventually produce cancer cells

Telomerase?

rene59
    Free Member

As a species we will have finally commited suicide by plastic.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Garlic bread will almost certainly be a part of it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think in lots of ways things we remain remarkably the same as they are now, or at least the changes will be more subtle than we think they will be, but still:

Depolarisation of the political climate, it ebbs and flows, but it’s less than a generation ago when here, in the rest of Europe and the US when Left/Right were largely interchangeable, John Major was a red Tory and Tony Blair a Blue Labour, if you’re into ‘them v us’ they might seem like traitors or whatever, but really it allowed them to accept both side have their merits and things were generally pretty good day to day, certainly better than they are now, the public by and large are fed up with politics being the headline everyday and big scary changes happening, there will be a backlash, and politicians will be told to go back to making sure the bins are collected and the lights stay on and stop pissing about with important things, they’re not to be trusted.

The Death of ‘Middle England’ well, I mean the Boomers really, but it’s hard to blame an entire generation and I don’t like generalisations, you can’t blame people for making the best of the hand they’re dealt, but they won so much, for so very long they don’t know what it’s like not to be on the winning side and their love affair with housing wealth has hurt their kids and their kid’s kids for so long now. The bulk of them are retiring now, they’ve got a stack of cash and equity to go with their very nice pensions thankyouverymuch and their triple-locked state pensions so they’re enjoy their retirement, even if most of the time they seem to moan about having a tiny bit of the wealth they didn’t earn eroded when we dare to try to address the supply / demand problem with housing, but I guess it’s only a problem if you’re not on the winning side. Anyway, their numbers are falling and X, Y and the Millennials are growing, next GE their will be more non-boomer voters than their will be boomer voters, expect changes.

The Death of the City, I’ve moaned about this before, but asking a load of people all to go to the most densely populated parts of the country at the same time to stare at screens all day is inefficient and something you’d only ever consider if you’d have to do it for decades before. Remote, flexible working will be the future, the only thing to fear there is the dreaded ‘efficiency’ because if you can do one job between 6-2 you could do another one ‘part time’ between 2-6 and still be working the same amount of hours you do now including travel time, at first a few people will make a lot more money, but soon everyone will have to do it just to make a living in the same way we shifted to two-income families a generation ago.

Cougar

It’s an interesting question for sure.  I ‘manage’ a few apprentices, late teens / early 20s, and I’ve very much turned into my grandad despite my best efforts.  “When I was your age…”  I’m basically a walking Facebook meme.

When I was a teenager, we got all giddy when a fourth TV channel was announced. My first bedroom TV as a kid was a 12″ monochrome set which had a loop aerial and had to be tuned in manually every time you wanted to change channel.  My first computer had 48kB of RAM.  My first actual PC had less storage space than I currently have on my key ring.

Everyone caught measles.  And chickenpox.  And mumps.  And German measles.  A bloke used to come to the house once a week collecting a little envelope with money for a polio charity.  I had tonsillitis and almost died from it.

We had the Internet in the early 90s but no World Wide Web (that really breaks their heads).  There were no search engines – you found new sites by word of mouth, arcane text files buried in dark corners of the system by last year’s students, or well-thumbed fan-fold printouts passed around.  Actually connecting to those sites involved leapfrogging from system to system in order to reach something which had an open route to the destination.  Your Internet bookmarks and password managers were an A5 notebook you guarded with your life.

Mobile phones would be a decade away from being commonplace (I got my first mobile in 1999), hacking public telephones to get free calls was a holy grail and phones with buttons rather than a dial were a novelty.  If you were a kid wanting to talk to your mates you’d have to ring their mum going “is Steven in?” or schlep round to their house and knock on the door, hopefully not to be told to bugger off because he was having his tea.  As we got a few years older, if we arranged to meet somewhere and someone didn’t turn up then we… did absolutely nothing about it because there was nothing we could do.

You could smoke, well, anywhere.  Not just pubs but cinemas, restaurants, buses…  Coming home after a night in a club, the morning after your clothes would smell like you were a 40-a-day man even if you didn’t smoke.

Music on the move was either a cassette Walkman, a ‘pocket’ CD player if you were posh, or a ghettoblaster / boom box that took eight D-cell batteries and needed to be carried on your shoulder.  A tape held one album, or two if you were a dirty pirate, which literally everyone was.  Taking photos involved waiting until you’d taken a couple of dozen and then sending the film away to be developed.  No-one took a selfie, ever.  Recording your own videos required a hugely expensive camera which took tapes the size of a hardback book.

Cars didn’t routinely come with stereos, unless they were fancy.  After-market head units were routinely stolen and sold in the local pubs for a tenth of their value (only to be bought, fitted and re-stolen, the circle of life).  Manufacturers came up with easily removable stereos – so you literally carried the entire thing around with you when you left your car.  There was no power steering; no central locking; no ABS; no alarms or immobilisers unless you fitted one yourself; windows were usually opened by winding a handle and if you got in a car with electric windows you felt like the most pretentious tosspot ever.

I’m sure I could go on.  Even typing this out just now it all feels like an eternity away, a different world.  And yet all this has changed in, what, the last 30 years?  It astounds me.  And the rate of change of technology appears to be accelerating (or is that just my perception?)

I can’t even begin to speculate what my apprentices will be telling their apprentices in another 20-30 years.  “When I was your age, we didn’t have neural interfaces, we actually had to pick up a phone and dial numbers to talk to people.  We had to make do with 42″ TVs, none of this holographic projection business.” (“Wow, you’re old.  And what’s an ‘inch’?”)

We live in interesting times.

deadkenny
    Free Member

There were no search engines

There was WAIS and Gopher, though all you could do was search academic documents.

In the future though searching for things may be redundant as Google/Amazon AI will just predict everything you are thinking or likely to want to search for or buy.

Cougar

There was WAIS and Gopher

On the Internet proper, yeah.  Such things weren’t available to us on JANET’s walled garden (without considerable effort).

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

BING will make a comeback!  Just Google it.

maccruiskeen

As cheap as that? I don’t think I’ve been to a service station in the last 10 years where a bottle of volvic doesn’t cost less than a litre of diesel. 🙂

I think in 100 years time we’ll get the revelation that its not Salt thats bad for you, its Pepper. Salt was just guilty by association.

Cougar

We’ve known that since the 80s.

maccruiskeen

Taking photos involved waiting until you’d taken a couple of dozen and then sending the film away to be developed.

Yesterday I was explaining the phenomenon of photos coming back with snarky quality control / advice stickers on them to a baffled team of professional photographers

wordnumb
    Free Member

In the future I will find the sock that I lost, by which time I will have either misplaced or binned the other one.

deadkenny
    Free Member

On the Internet proper, yeah.  Such things weren’t available to us on JANET’s walled garden (without considerable effort).

Yeah, I remember those days, and getting a bollocking for trying to get out of it bouncing emails around servers to find one with an external gateway (available only to post-grads and staff) 😀

Final year we got a modem in the student house to finally get “online” (Demon internet of course). Might even have been at the heady speed of 14.4kbps

funkmasterp

Yodel will deliver a package on time, to the correct address and completely damage free

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Predictions for the future’ is closed to new replies.