Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • PRANG! SMASH! BANG! (Front page content)
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And what exactly happens in the event of a crash spinning your bars around?

Bye bye top tube? 😕

nixie

Should come with free stick on rubber bumpers.

Liftman

Just put the stem on the right way up and it will be fine 😉

Rio

the Flatforce is intended for riders having a hard time finding a good position on longer-travel 650b and 29in bikes

A bit of blue-sky out-of-the-box throw-it-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks thinking here, but what if instead you made the wheels smaller, say 26″? Oh, wait…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just put the stem on the right way up and it will be fine

But then the ‘decals’* would be upside down! 😉

*Stickers, obviously.

franksinatra

There are pages other than the forum? Wow, learn something new every day

miketually
    Free Member

The bars/levers of all my bikes hit the top tube if the bars spin around in a crash, even with positive rise stems.

Houns

I may get that and stick it the proper way up. Ideal for my dodgy back, can get rid of all the spacers then too

nedrapier

The bars/levers of all my bikes hit the top tube if the bars spin around in a crash, even with positive rise stems.

Prezactly. I’ve tweaked my levers up a smidge so they don’t on one of mine, but the bars’ll hit first every time in that stem.

organic355
    Free Member

Looks like that stem has had one too many Stellas

tomhoward

What’s that you say about decals stickers being put on upside down?

Cock up in the design = marketing opportunity!!!

Northwind

That’d go nicely with my 50mm risers.

LoCo
    Free Member

Want that 44mm one, frankenbike currently has a flipped 45mm on anyway, working on some bump stops for top tube 😉

miketually
    Free Member

working on some bump stops for top tube

A bit of old inner tube and some duct tape works. It looks gash, but it works 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

A bit of old inner tube and some duct tape works

😀 True, but can’t be see with that on the ‘nice’ bike 😉

wwaswas

working on some bump stops for top tube

Maverick used to do some nice ones.

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

Just put some BikeShield on the TT

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It looks gash, but it works

So does the stem!

LoCo
    Free Member

Will match the rest of the bike 😉 and rider

faustus

Why not mount a normal stem between fork crown and lower headset bearing and be done with it?

It’s a matter of leverage though.
    For the same force at the bar end, there will be more pressure on the frame the closer the contact point is to the stem. That’s why Lefties use a bump stop.

It looks like a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist to me, but if it did exist, designing some sort of upside down riser bar would be a better solution.

wwaswas

upside down riser bar

a Lower?

Sort of.
    If you just turn a riser bar upside down,the grip parts will be angled downwards, a bit like sports motorbike bars.
    I was thinking of something that drops from the middle,then rises up again slightly at the ends.

drofluf
    Free Member

Brewer’s Droop for your bars 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

What we actually need it he bars to be directly mounted onto the crown of the forks. This way we can use much larger wheels and look even dafter.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Theres a photo of a russian made track bike with bull horns protruding from the fork crown. Looks a bit odd as obviously it stil needs a conventional top tube and headset!

rOcKeTdOg

All solved by getting a bike that fits. Short people on big wheels look as ridiculous as I do on 26″

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Theres a photo of a russian made track bike with bull horns protruding from the fork crown

Sure you don’t mean this;

Houns

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    All solved by getting a bike that fits. Short people on big wheels look as ridiculous as I do with this beard”

POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

😛

aracer
    Free Member

No conventional top tube or headset on this one – though clearly the “forks” still have to pivot somewhere.

It seems incredible that bike is over 20 years old.

igm

And bizarrely I saw a one of those Lotus bikes on a bike rack in Annecy this summer. Or a very good copy.

ninfan
    Free Member

Is it wrong that I thought this thread was going to be about the Diana film?

PS – could easily solve the problem by putting some spacers underneath 😀

nicko74

I was thinking of something that drops from the middle,then rises up again slightly at the ends.

Sounds like one of brant’s godawful designs… 😉

nedrapier

It’s a matter of leverage though.
    For the same force at the bar end, there will be more pressure on the frame the closer the contact point is to the stem. That’s why Lefties use a bump stop.

leverage doesn’t come into it. The grips/levers will hit the cross bar before the stem, and they’ll hit half way down. Lefties have a bump stop because a riser stem or bars set-up could well have the levers/grips clearing the top tube, allowing the fork to hit the frame.

rOcKeTdOg

Houns – Member
    rOcKeTdOg – Member
    All solved by getting a bike that fits. Short people on big wheels look as ridiculous as I do with this beard”
    POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

its gone James, keep up at the back!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘PRANG! SMASH! BANG! (Front page content)’ is closed to new replies.