Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • pramtrackworld – which pram? :)
  • meandyuk

Having spent ages on youtube looking at reviews I still can’t decide on what to get ! it’s becoming like buying a new bike!!

Anyone have one they can recommend, the two that stand out so-far are the Babystyle Oyster 3 and Uppababy Cruz – anyone got these? Not overly bothered about off-roading, just something not too heavy.

Cheers
    Andy

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Our UppaBaby Vista was the shizzle. Travel carry cot good for sleeping from birth (useful if off visiting with the new one), huge basket underneat for shopping/stuff, and very good rain/Sun protection. Also, can take a car seat with adaptors. Nice big, solid wheels, so no punctures. Still comfy and rolled well, though.

Wasn’t cheap, but did two children very well and sold on for a fair few quid afterwards.

ratherbeintobago

BabyJogger was the best one of the several we had. One handed folding in pushchair mode FTW

moonsaballoon

Quinny buzz has carried both our boys .

richardkennerley

We had the Oyster. It’s OK, it will do all the things you’re expecting, push about, fold up, take a car seat or a cot … Just like any other pram (only a bit cheaper than a lot of them.)

But… It’s the little one that will tell you if it’s the right pram, our’s hardly ever settled in it, she liked the car seat but didn’t take to any of the other options.

We eventually changed it for a babyjogger summit, an off-road style pram and she loved that (as did we.) The first trip out in that pram and she fell asleep in a shop, something she had NEVER done before.

stu170
    Free Member

Go to a few shops, we decided we wanted one thing, then decided on another once we played around in the shop. Don’t just buy from reviews without playing with a few.
    We went for the mamas and papas occaro, not light at all. But does what we want well, I do have a few gripes with it as even in the shop you can’t foresee everything.

njee20
    Free Member

We have a Bugaboo Buffalo (I believe it’s been merged with the more city-based Chameleon as the “Fox”), and it’s been superb. Also got a Bugaboo Bee for keeping in the car, it’s far less stable, or sturdy, but much lighter than the Buffalo, and one piece. Both very good, would have both again.

Mrs njee20 has commented she’d definitely consider the Uppa Baby Vista next time, having read hundreds of reviews at the time!

klunky
    Free Member

Look for new ones on eBay. I got a maxi cosi systemthat was 2 years old from an eBay outlet and paid around £200 for buggy, bassinet, seat thing and car seat. Think it retailed for £950

mulacs

Second ebay, they’re a absolute disgraceful ripoff otherwise. Something that’s deemed vaguely fashionable can double the price. Looking at you bugaboo

DrJ

Like all new parents we had a fur-lined ocean-going type, and like most we jettisoned it as quickly as possible in favour of a Mclaren fold-up umbrella style one that you can fold up with one hand and take on a bus.

DT78
    Free Member

We used an UB vista, great bit of kit, and can be added to so you have the flexibility to add a second basket or seat if you are potentially going to have more kids, ours were 2 years apart and it was great very good for hauling one (or two) kids around. Has a massive luggage allowance which is super important given the amount of crap you have to carry around with you. It was not cheap, I think the wrong size of £1k for everything.

In fact it’s sat unused in the dining room for most of this year as our boys are too old now (4.5 and 2.5) so I should really flog it. It’s silver. If you are anywhere near southampton and interested drop me a pm

kimbers

Baby jogger city mini, easiest to fold and folds flatest of all the others. And a very sturdy design & easy to steer.
    Folds flat for newborn (you can get a bassinet attachment which makes a handy carrycot but not essential)

S/H makes sense, we got ours new and has done 2 kids before being passed on to relatives

Loughan
    Free Member

Firstly, which fits into your car best/easiest/leaves the most space

Secondly, what does the missus want? All the ones i thought were good weren’t good – but i was happy to let it go… as long as it fitted in the car, see point 1 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Have a joolz geo.

Mainly as it was one of the few in the shop I didn’t have to stoop to push. Handle came up high enough.

As a plus it handles woodland paths and rough roads around the house with ease.

It’s a two handed fold but it rarely gets folded. Just open the boot and put it in fully built.

Sven

Baby Jogger City Elite or Baby Jogger City Mini GT

peter1979
    Free Member

After spending a lot of time researching this when we had our first child we went for a second hand Quinny buzz for about 50£ with pram and car sEat. It allowed you to clip on the car seat to the frame which is much more practical than getting baby in and out of a pram.
    We found that in reality, we hardly used it at all. Most trips out involved baby being carried in a sling or in the car seat for short periods. Really glad we didn’t spend a fortune on a new pram system as it wouldn’t have been used enough.
    By 10mths old they were in a maclaren stroller, much more practical.
    Second child used the same thing. I can’t understand why anyone would pay a grand for a pram, seems crazy.

simon_g

Like CF we had an Uppababy Vista. The carrycot did both kids fine until they were big enough for a proper cot – mate bought the proper stand and we borrowed it for both kids’ early months. Walked hundreds of miles with it, liked how you can have them facing you or forwards, car seat compatible for when doing errands and you’re back and forth, good basket underneath for shopping and change stuff, easy fold, fits fine in most cars, not too big for trains etc.

No right answer to the “best” as all down to what you need. We did buy the uppababy new (it was pretty new to the UK at the time) but I’ve bought and sold half a dozen other pushchairs since (Phil&Teds for 2 kids, lightweight ones, travel ones, etc) – it’s a much better way of trying them out.

user-removed
    Free Member

We spent insane amounts on a massive Quinny system which allowed the seat to be moved from a rolling chassis to a car base and thence to a carry handle, and realised far too late that the whole thing’s a massive racket. Every separate component weighed a metric shit ton.

Honestly? Buy a cheapy folding buggy for out and about and spend the money on a static car seat.

meandyuk

Great advice, cheers. Now looking at the UP Vista (although I think it may be a bit big due to it allowing for two seats). The baby jogger wasn’t on the radar as I hadn’t thought of a running type one. Going to John Lewis tomorrow so will check both these out.

@DT78
    : Thanks, would of been interested but we’re in west yorkshire.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Buy a cheapy folding buggy for out and about

And for the first 3-6 months ?

domtastic
    Free Member

We’ve just got a Mountain Buggy, will be great when we can take the little one running in it, rolls well and will fold with 1 hand Can be had for buttons 2nd hand.

batfink
    Free Member

We have an UB vista, it’s been great, but the downside is that it’s heavy – especially once you start filing the basket up, or using it for two kids.

We also have an Thule urban glide which we have been really pleased with – the bigger wheels make for a much smoother ride, and it’s much easier to push. Whats immediately noticeable though is the significantly lighter weight.

If I was buying again, Thule have a more “everyday” version of the urban glide…… I’d be getting that. And that’s from somebody who been very happy with the uppababy vista

soundninjauk

We’ve got a Joolz Hub, which is suitably sized for relatively straightforward bus/tube travel in this here London. We didn’t bother with the humvee style cot section, just went for the ‘cocoon’ which was cheaper and lasted until she was older.

in terms of things to look out for, make sure you can stand up straight when pushing it (like the other Joolz guy here I’m quite tall), that it fits where you want to put it (car boot/public transport), and that it doesn’t weigh a ton.

cookeaa

Best one one we had was a Phil and Ted’s explorer, used off fleabay for £150 when we had two under 3 briefly having a jump seat and an insulated baby cacoon thing worked a treat, but TBH a mclaren folder that you can chuck in a boot once they’re over a year is more use… Always had separate baby seats for use in the car.

Shiny new £500+ “travel systems” are a rip off TBH your not going to be using it that long, it’s pretty much worthless 2nd hand, they go. A bit baggy after a few months use and odds on your missus won’t be able to operate the bastard thing anyway.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

Egg pram

marp
    Free Member

we have a mountain buggy urban thingybob which we bought second hand in Oz. It is awesome for outdoors, running, walking, off roading etc but pretty big and a bit impractical for going in some smaller shops…. Build quality is awesome, they are cheap as anything second hand and you can buy loads of spares for them….

We use the mountain buggy nano for around and about town, it is tiny, packs down to nothing (hand luggage size for planes) and has a pretty decent recline on the seat. It is way cheaper than the babyzen

geomickb
    Free Member

First you need to decide what wheel size you want (I suggest 29 inch because that’s what I have), then what material alloy, steel or carbon.

What sort of terrain will you be pushing? This will help determine if you need FS.

It may be just a passing trend but “gravel” or “adventure” prams may meet all your requirements, they are equally bad on all terrain.

Are the wheels tubeless compatible?

Maybe you need two or three different ones?

🙂

Joking aside, see what is available on local FB groups (probably called Yummie Mummies or similar), they are a rip off new and some secondhand ones have hardly been used.

You may also find that having 2 is a good idea, a massive buggy thing and then a pushchair (when old enough) which can be thrown in the back of the car or taken on holiday.

Mick

natrix
    Free Member

We had an out’n about 360 which was great. From birth to 4 years old, fairly light, folded up to go in the back of the car. Had a seperate car seat as it was easy to lift a sleeping child from the buggy to the car seat (the travel system ones do seem to be a waste of money). Although it was a single seater, for short journeys the oldest one could sit on the front, with the youngest inside.

We were given a Maclaren folder but never used it as it wasn’t so good off-road.

butcher

Honestly? Buy a cheapy folding buggy for out and about and spend the money on a static car seat.

This. You can get a folding buggy for next to nothing and you’ll not curse it like you will a pram that cost you 20x as much.

And for the first 3-6 months ?

Boba Carrier.

Travel anywhere you like with zero-inconvenience while Jr snuggles up and gives the ZZZs.

mashr

We’ve got a Bugaboo Buffalo, now on child 2. Bought second hand as new prices are bonkers. The Missus puts in some hefty mileage with it, and it’s far better for long on/off/rough walks than the Cosato we keep in reserve.

You will need a decent sized boot to take it about if you plan on buying extra things at the same time (VW Transporter then Mondeo estate has worked out nicely for us)

siwhite
    Free Member

You may need loads – we have four of different styles for different purposes.

Started off with a second hand iCandy, which was great as the car seat could clip in – sleeping babies can be moved without waking them. Also good when number two came along, as you can double up. Folds up small and fits into my wife’s Golf. Buy second hand as a bundle and save hundreds of pounds. Sold this recently for what we paid for it three years ago.

We also have both a single and double Out and About Nipper – big tyres are SO MUCH BETTER for pushing around, and vital for anything other than smooth pavements. We use this for walks from the house, and they fold small enough to go in the boot of my Estate. I take this whenever I take the children out (now 1 and 3) as I hate the small wheeled buggies. Both bought second hand, but not ideal for tiny babies.

My parents have a Phil and Teds off road buggy, and it’s really poor compared to the Out and About.

Lastly we have a double umbrella fold for impromptu trips out, which is convenient but pretty naff to push, or fold for that matter.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Baby jogger city mini.

– three wheeler much easier to direct
    – large enough wheels work off road but not too big for city/shop
    – lighter than the Phil and ted
    – mother in law didn’t like it as it doesn’t have the silver cross perambulator curb appeal

Only downside is baby doesn’t face you.

IMO You don’t need a bassanet thing or any of the other rubbish that comes with a “travel system” or if you do you only need it for 5 mins.

Thing that sold it to us was how easy it Is to fold and chuck in the car as well as ease of use to push.

cheers_drive

Carrier for when they are really small then Maclaren Techno XT.
    We also have one of these, which is built like a tank but is impractical to take into shops and needs and large car to transport it. It’s been great for the kids sleep outside Scandi style when they were babies but wouldn’t recommend for out and about.
    Odder Pram

TiRed

Cheapest used version you can find. In six months you’ll be pushing a McLaren Buggy wondering why you didn’t buy a new bike with the money you spent on that boat anchor of a Swiss Army Pram that is currently sat in the garage at home. Trust me, we’ve all made the same mistake.

timmys

As pretty much everyone has said don’t blow your budget on the initial ‘system’. You’ll want to be swapping it for a lighter one surprising quickly, and if you’re posting here, quite likely an off-road one or trailer soon enough as well. Keep the money for those (and buy used obviously).

Bugaboos are for those who it’s unfortunate that they’ve managed to distribute their genetic material.

DrJ

Cheapest used version you can find. In six months you’ll be pushing a McLaren Buggy wondering why you didn’t buy a new bike with the money you spent on that boat anchor of a Swiss Army Pram that is currently sat in the garage at home. Trust me, we’ve all made the same mistake.

This, sooooo many times. But nobody will listen to you 🙂

TiRed

To be fair, the Phil and Ted off road three wheelers where pretty good for my sisters – both had 4 kids – at 2 year frequencies. We stuck with the McLaren and a rucksack to carry them off road.

Forget sweating the pram decision – the time will pass fast enough.

mashr

DrJ

This, sooooo many times. But nobody will listen to you 🙂

Of course some people will actually make good use of the Swiss Army Pram

stumpy01

+1 on buying a second hand one.
    I think our Babystyle Oyster with all the accoutrements was getting on for £800.

I think we got £110 for it when we got rid after a couple of yrs.

There are so many really good condition ones on eBay going cheap…

My Wife insisted she wanted a new one, but we could have spent that money on loads of other things…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘pramtrackworld – which pram? :)’ is closed to new replies.