Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Practice golf for free WHERE?
  • bukobuko
    Free Member

Golf is so expensive even just to practice, so where can I hit balls all day for free on grass legally. Probably nowhere these days.

Drac

A local recreation field.

maccruiskeen

A cemetery

trailwagger
    Free Member

where can I hit balls all day for free on grass legally.

Amsterdam?

bukobuko
    Free Member

And where I live every playing field is full of dog walkers 24/7 and most have a no golf policy anyway.

bukobuko
    Free Member

Amsterdam very funny.

scruff9252

I can’t imagine a public park and randomly flying golf balls would work too well.

Do you have a quiet beach near by? A friendly farmer’s field that has just been harvested? A golfing range thing as against a golf course?

Drac

I can’t imagine a public park and randomly flying golf balls would work too well.

Works fine if there’s no one else around or you not launching them miles across the field.

theotherjonv
    rene59
    Free Member

Amsterdam?

Very good!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Our local range quotes,

•   30 ball basket = £2.50
    •   60 ball basket = £4.00
    •   90 ball basket = £5.50
    • 125 ball basket = £7.00

I’m not being funny but at 7 quid for 125 balls that’s not expensive. If you’re playing right that’s minimum 2 hours worth. If you hit 30 balls on a field somewhere you’re (unless very good) gonna lose a couple and at a few quid a box you’re soon gonna rack up a bit of a loss.

stumpy01

Golf is so expensive even just to practice, so where can I hit balls all day for free on grass legally. Probably nowhere these days.

You’ll just end up spending hours picking your balls up – hit 20 balls in under 10 mins – spend an hour looking for them.

Might as well just go to the driving range. Often you can bulk buy balls on a card so the price per bucket comes right down.

Or get a golf practice net for the garden and a mat to drive from….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Driving range, not free, but someone needs to pick the balls up.

Local golf course will have a practice area, and no one will bother if you’re a member or not. I live right next to a golf course that’s 215 quid a round, and have used their practice area many a time.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Depends on what you want to practice.

For a total beginner, Those plastic balls are OK for learning to make contact with the ball, but beyond that absolutely useless.

Appreciate that you want to do this on the cheap  but tbh golf isn’t the cheapest of activities in the first place. 3 quid for a bucket of balls at the range is the least of your issues. If you don’t want to pay that see if there is a golf club near you with a practice area. It’ll be for members only but noone will know you aren’t one as long as you rock up looking like they do. Other than the club pro, so wait till his shop has shut. You’ll need a bucket of balls to practice with obviously.

As someone who got down to a very reasonable handicap back in the day.. If just starting out here is my advice..

Learn the fundamentals before you even try hitting a ball. If you aren’t paying for lessons then learn the proper golf stance at least. Correct position before you swing the club is the most important part of the swing.. Get it wrong and you will always struggle.

Practice with no more than a 7 iron…

If you want to play on a course then the old saying ‘drive for show, putt for doe’ is very true. If you intend to take up the game spend as much time chipping and putting as slogging endless shots down the range.

scotroutes

You want someone to provide custom-built facilities, to the exclusion of other user groups and you want them for nowt?

Is golf the new mountain biking?

DezB
    Free Member

Is golf the new mountain biking?

I thought we were like polar opposites. Golf is for people who can’t ride bikes anymore (or was before eBikes filled that void 😉 )

P-Jay
    Free Member

As above, whilst it’s my idea of hell, my local range has an offer on for 50 balls and a pint for £5, which makes it cheaper to drink in than my local.

nickdavies

Can’t you just put a net in the back garden?

Nico
    Free Member

whack away with impunity

Steady on!

wwaswas

Steady on!

🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

In your back garden.

Not every golf shot needs to be a full pelt swing to try and knock the spots off the ball.

Turn a golf brolly upside down and chip balls into it from 5 feet, then 10 feet, then 15 feet until you reach the limits of your garden.

Developing a delicate touch round the greens will likely shave lots  more strokes off your game than constantly  battering 200 balls up a driving range

bukobuko
    Free Member

Its obvious that you cant practice for free anywhere then(stupid post really), it seems the range is just worth paying for although hitting balls on a real fairway is completely different to hitting ball off a golf mat/rubber tee. Maybe playing on a quiet course with few more balls would help me improve quicker.

<div class=”bbp-author-role”></div>

Rich_s

Municipal courses near me have a free practice area. It’s just a field on the boundaries but it suffices for me.

Houns

I used to use football pitches for practice

gauss1777
    Free Member

Free golf on Bruntsfield Links, Edinburgh.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The local courses are empty around here about 7pm, the golfists are aw too busy necking pints before driving home.

Hop on and practice on one of the greens, no one will bother you.

wrightyson
    Free Member

The range I quoted above has auto tees, fake grass, real grass and the aforementioned rubber mats. It also has loads of short catch baskets at 10 20 30 yds etc. As also said above thrashing balls down the driving range will not improve your game if your swing isn’t right. As a beginner golf can soon become your worse nightmare if you don’t sort your swing out as you’ll spend more time searching for balls when you actually play a round than enjoying the game.

molgrips
    Free Member

My dad used to try and chip plastic balls over our house.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Practice golf for free WHERE?’ is closed to new replies.