Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • PPI claimbacks..
  • jonjones262
    Free Member

How far back into the past can you claim for? I had ppi on loans when I wAs freelance back in 2001 -2005

theotherjonv

Mis-sold. I agree, however there have been plenty of cases where the terms have not been adequately explained (eg: did you know specific medical conditions were not valid? Which?), or there was an auto-acceptance that wasn’t pointed out at the time so you weren’t properly given the chance to opt out, or even as in some cases above where the PPI was added later without permission or knowledge.

I’d like to think I’m savvy enough to say that where I’ve been offered PPI I’ve declined it. But have i had cases where PPI was included without my knowledge? I don’t know – if I’ve had a loan in the past and PPI wasn’t offered I’ve previously assumed it wasn’t an option that needed declining; now maybe it wasn’t offered but was added on anyway.

Merak

Im going to enquire as well. Ive had a fair few loans over the last few years.

I have no paperwork at all. Can those who have used a company to get recourse advise on who to use? Id imagine those that take the lowest cut.

Pieface

A long time ago I took out some PPI they said they’d pay back if I didn’t claim, which I didn’t and I didn’t get paid.

I’ve since lost the paperwork but for the sake of filling out a form (readily available on the banks website) and the cost of a stamp I thought its worth a punt.

crankman
    Free Member

Can those who have used a company to get recourse advise on who to use? Id imagine those that take the lowest cut.

Yes, who is good?

peachos
    Free Member

DON’T go with a company. The banks all have special depts set up to handle everything. Just call them and tell them you want to start a complaint, they then have a certain amount of time to respond which might involve sending you out some forms to fill in or might just be that they send you a letter offering you a settlement. if they don’t it’s against financial ombs regs.

just call the bank!

£3k from mine earlier this year…

ell_tell
    Free Member

Like others on here I’d be interested to hear from those who have actually gone through the claim process.

I have a loan and have had many credit cards over the past few years and have always actively refused PPI. What I dont know is whether they have sneakily added this without my knowledge.

Is there a simple way of finding this out or do you have to delve through all original loan/ c card agreements?

hammerite
    Free Member

jonjones – I spoke about a loan I took out in 2000 which ended in 2005 and another that started in 2006 and finished in 2009. I think there isn’t a limit, however they say that it might not be possible to trace anything more than 6 years ago (from loan ending).

maccruiskeen

Erm…don’t you have to claim that it was MIS-SOLD to you?

The issue with PPI (although this varies a little from vendor to vendor) is it was a policy that could pretty much only be mis-sold. If you look at typical insurance policies the major chunk (all but a few percent in some cases) of the premium is used to pay claims, with PPI schemes less than 10% of the income from premiums was going back out as payouts, not by accident, thats how the schemes were devised from the offset – as a pocket lining exercise. Even if you knowingly ticked the box for the cover you would have done so in good faith that you were buying a legitmate insurance product, what you didn’t know was the payments you were making were 90 – 95% commission and only 5% – 10% premium.

bren2709

Fully understand that the claim process can be one by the individual, but cannot be bothered with sorting out past loan and credit details.
    So which claim’s management company have you used and what % did they charge?

santacruzsi
    Free Member

http://www.which.co.uk/campaigns/personal-finance/the-ppi-campaign/

This guide and auto-fill letter template on Which? website seems to be quite good and has all the appropriate details for the particular financial institutions. I’ve used this to send some away recently but still waiting to hear. Worth a go! My brother got £6k back.

theotherjonv

but back to the issue – I don’t remember exactly who all my loans were with over the years, although i remember a number of the companies (GE Capital, Black Horse, V12, to name a few, plus a multitude of CC companies) – and I sure as hell haven’t kept the paperwork for loans that finished some years back so can’t say what the terms etc. were.

If I get a claim company to progress for me, can they check this by enhanced credit checks for example, then they send me all the forms to sign or will they turn their noses up at the thought of having to do some work?

crankman
    Free Member

If I get a claim company to progress for me, can they check this by enhanced credit checks for example, then they send me all the forms to sign or will they turn their noses up at the thought of having to do some work?

Yes, they do all of this and they are happy to because they take a cut.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

we just did it and got £1400 back!

but it was on our barclays account not a loan, most people seem to think PPi on loans.

anyway we got charged about £8 a month for PPI on an overdraft, the wife just sent a bog standard claim letter off and forgot about it, 3 weeks later we had a letter saying they have looked into it and that was that.

MrGrim

Did this on the back of this thread with Egg on a loan I had for a car 10 years ago. Just over £2,000 back today. Thanks for all the posts on this thread. Definitely worth avoiding these claim companies. Took me 5 minutes.

kongman28
    Free Member

DO IT! Write to the bank to ask if you’ve had a loan with them, if you’ve forgotten/lost the details, they have to tell you. Then write to them again once you’ve got the details saying you believe you had PPI, what are the details. They have to send this to you. hen finally write to them saying you think you were miss-sold, and they have to look into it. EASY. Use the Moneysavingexpert website. do it yourself, don’t use a company. It’s as easy as 3 letters and as cheap as 3 stamps.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have been thinking of doing this myself for a few months, ive had a few loans and credit cards over the years and WAS going to give one of those companys a ring and let them sort things out , but ive just been onto various bank and credit card websites and they all have there own claim forms on the websites, so save yourself some money and go direct … i am at the weekend 😀

andypaul99
    Free Member

[quoteI never thought it was worth it as I’ve always turned anything like that down.

but free money sounds like a reason to start caring…[/quote]

Its not free money, you are simply Claiming back what you already paid!!

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘PPI claimbacks..’ is closed to new replies.