Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Powerlink / Missing Link woe
  • marvincooper

I set my chain length for a 34t chainring but have now put a 36t on so need to add links. I thought I’d use a powerlink to join the extra links to the chain but I can’t get the link to join. Been trying for the last half an hour and I’m thinking I might have to just get a new chain.

Should I be able to join a powerlink off the bike? This is the first time I’ve touched a 10 speed chain and I’m not liking it!

RealMan
    Free Member

What kind of link?

marvincooper

It’s a KMC Silver chain. I just bought some black SRAM Powerlinks (LBS didn’t have KMC ones).

allthepies
    Free Member

I gave up with the KMC missing-link or whatever they called it and put an old SRAM 9sp powerlink in when I fitted a new KMC 10sp chain. Works fine.

legend
    Free Member

Join it without a power link like the good old days?

marvincooper

To join the link normally you assemble the link then push on the cranks to pull the link pins apart. yes? I can’t do this if I’m adding more links so how do I make the join? Or is it just time to get another new chain?

marvincooper

That’s what I was going to do until I read that it weakens the chain plate with a 10 speed chain. I can see that it would too – I tried it on one link.

marvincooper

OK I think I have just sorted it. Chain tool to hold end of links to be added. Rag around other end of chain. Insert powerlink. Pull by hand hard and repeatedly. The link is just about half together so should tighten up with a stomp on the cranks. Phew!

allthepies
    Free Member

Undoing it will be a different matter however 😉

Northwind

KMC links work well, and can be bought cheap if you have a Decathlon nearby- decathlon own brand are repackaged KMC.

trailflow
    Free Member

SRAM and KMC chains can only be joined with a powerlock/link.

marvincooper

All fixed now, my 1×10 conversion is finally complete so I’m a happy boy. Cheers all!

JoeG
    Free Member

SRAM 10 speed aren’t called Powerlinks, they’re called Powerlocks. They’re supposed to be one use only. Some folks have reused them, but they can be a real bitch to open. Chain pliers (either bought or homemade) are a big help. The KMC missing links are reusable, & easier to open.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Powerlink / Missing Link woe’ is closed to new replies.