Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Powerbank for longer days
  • mcnultycop

I’m planning a longer road ride for the next few weeks, maybe 11 hours in the saddle.

My Wahoo Bolt should be good for that, but I’m using it for navigation and it’s a one way route so it’ll have to stay on the full time I’m riding. iPhone XR should last too, particularly as I’m not going to be using it.

As a back up I’m thinking of a powerbank with USB output, is there something light and small that i can stick in my framebag or are they all much of a muchness?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

or are they all much of a muchness?

Unless you need something a bit niche like passthrough for running off a dynamo then yep.

lunge

Just pick up an Anker one from Amazon, I’ve had one for years and it does the job.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Yes Anker stuff is quality. I’ve got a power bank from them which is slightly bigger than my phone but it’ll charge my phone from flat to 100% three times.

simonalex99
    P20

Another vote for the anker packs

mcnultycop

Nice one, Anker it is!

jimsmith
    Free Member

For the small and light I got one of these:
    https://www.nitecore.co.uk/Shop/Products/Batteries/13940-Nitecore-NB10000-Power-Bank.html
    seems better than anything else Ive tried

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

anker on amazon, done.

jimdubleyou

In case you needed another opinion…

Anker FTW.

They do various sizes. A 20000mah battery does me for phone (running live track), garmin & watch over 2-3 days (10-12 hours ish riding a day).

lardman
    Free Member

This solar powerbank has done a good job charging stuff whilst I’ve been camping.

AMZGO Solar Charger 26800mAh,…

Aidy
    Free Member

Contrary to above, I’d just get something tiny. Wahoo Bolt only has a 1600mAh battery in, no point carrying something that’ll charge it 10 times over.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m with Aidy, those Anker banks will last you a weeks touring or camping, bit overkill for along ride.

damascus
    Free Member

I’m using one that takes 18650 batteries. I have a few that holds 1, 2 and 4 batteries depending on what I need.

My torch uses them so I carry 18650 batteries anyway and an empty box weighs hardly anything.

Its also very useful as you can plug a USB into it to charge the 18650 batteries.

Alpkit have just started selling some normal cache batteries.

https://alpkit.com/collections/outdoor-electronics

butcher

For the use you describe I’d go no bigger than 5000mAh. Those recommended already are what I’d use when going away for days. Smaller the better for a 11hour ride.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Anker do all sorts of sizes, they have really good after sales service too.

MoreCashThanDash

Fwiw, my Bolt has run with turn by turn navigation for 15 hour, and a mate claims 18

jimmy748

I use one of these on my helmet to extend the run time of my Diablo helmet light.

Anker PowerCore 5000 mAh External Battery Power Bank, Compact Mobile Phone Charger with Power IQ, Compatible with iPhone XS Max/XR/XS/X/8/8 Plus, iPad, Galaxy and More (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CU1EC6Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0CK6CWQCJAQB22RDZC1A

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anker Astro E1 6700mAh, it’ll do a full charge of most big smartphones, or two charges of smaller ones. Roughly the size of a multitool (it’s the size of 2x 18650 cells plus the protective circuit and USB) so fits nicely in a small top tube bag with all the other kit.

(they do a cheaper 5200 version too, but seems a bit pointless)

The only other thing worth considering is if your phone, gps etc uses USB-C it might be worth getting a power bank that has a usb-c port so you only need one cable to charge the power bank or the phone.

mcnultycop

Fwiw, my Bolt has run with turn by turn navigation for 15 hour, and a mate claims 18

I’d expect mine to do the day, it seems to still have about 60% left after a 6 hour ride with nav and live tracking on. I’d just rather be safe than sorry.

deltacharlie72
    Free Member

I’ve also got the Anker Powercore 5000mAH. It fits perfectly in a generic cheapo torch mount on my bars and keep maps and nav apps running on my phone all day.

This one: Universal torch mount

cookeaa

I just picked up a 10000 mAh PowerCore from Amazon during the “Amazon Day” sales for ~£15 Specifically for some (half) planned bikepacking long weekends this summer. it’s smaller and flatter than my previous 10000 mAh bank, It will live in the (waterproof) top-tube bag, and a cable can be snaked up to the Garmin if necessary on the go.

I reckon 10000 mAh should easily be adequate for a couple of phone and Garmin re-charges, assuming I’m being frugal with device power use. (i.e. sticking the phone in flight mode/turn off while trundling during the day?), Running navigation on a GPS will obviously spank that more during the day.

My BH 1000 light also has a power bank function, so if it’s been a long weekend with some excessive use of devices that could provide an extra top up for the last leg home if needed. I’m not sure what the power capacity of that actually is, but it’s must be a fair amount, at least another 10000 mAh(?)

So Yeah I reckon I’ve conservatively got ~15000 mAh between the power bank and the spare charge in the light to charge 2 devices for 3+ days…

5000 mAh power source should more than do as a range extender for the OP’s 1 day use case…

anagallis_arvensis

I bought an alpkit one, thanks Damascus saves me using Amazon!

mcnultycop

5200 Anker arrived today. Charged the Wahoo from about half full really quickly without the Anker still showing 4/4 bars.
    Reasonable small size and confident it’ll do a phone charge too, if I need one.

Thanks all.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Powerbank for longer days’ is closed to new replies.