Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Power Steering / MOT
  • flyingmonkeycorps

The power steering pump on our trusty but aged Focus is on the way out. It cuts in and out, only really noticeable when manoeuvring. The fluid seems fine so I’m guessing it’s the pump rather than a leak.

Is this an MOT fail? A swift Google is inconclusive.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Electronic power assistance not working Major

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah that’s pretty conclusive. Teach me to Google with a baby. Cheers!

v8ninety

In my experience, depends whether they notice. A lot of the lock to lock examination is done with the wheels on little turntables, so they may not.

Should probably still get it fixed, though. Steering is pretty important!

Also, could just be a slipping belt. And if you want to make the steering work less hard to get through the test, pump the fronts up to about 60psi 👍🏼😉

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Inoperative power steering is a major fault and if it makes the car very hard to drive then it’s a dangerous fault.
    It wouldn’t have fluid if it was electronic power steering…..

johndoh
    Free Member

Crikey! I wouldn’t even be driving a car with intermittent power steering, not wondering if it would fail an MOT.

:-O

v8ninety

Inoperative power steering is a major fault

OP describes PS that’s struggling a bit, not inoperative. Still needs sorting though.

v8ninety

Crikey! I wouldn’t even be driving a car with intermittent power steering

It’s not such a big deal. Power steering hardly has any effect at normal road speeds at all, it’s to make life easier when manoeuvring. And at manoeuvring speeds you have plenty of time to work around the issue.
    Should still be fixed though.

jamesoz

It’s not such a big deal. Power steering hardly has any effect at normal road speeds at all, it’s to make life easier when manoeuvring. And at manoeuvring speeds you have plenty of time to work around the issue.
    Should still be fixed though.

Not true, I had an early 2000’s Astra with intermittent electric power steering when brand new, turned out to be the alternater. The loss of assistance made a dramatic difference compared to say, losing the belt on my 80’s car hydraulic PAS.

I assume the difference was down to having to wind the dead mechanism.
    It was quite dangerous suddenly requiring more effort mid corner.

jamesoz

More on topic, one minor on my last MOT was PAS not as smooth as it could be lock to lock. The pulley bracket had cracked and the pulley had a dent in it causing the belt to slip under load.

v8ninety

Not true,

OP (and me) are talking about hydraulic PAS that’s struggling when manoeuvring, not failing suddenly at high speed. I’ve no experience of failing electric PAS steering.
    Should still be fixed though…

flyingmonkeycorps

Oh we’re definitely gonna get it sorted one way or another, just weighing up whether to sort it and keep the car a bit longer or get shut now.

We’ve been considering something bigger for a while now, and the Focus owes us nothing – at 143k it’s getting to the point where I’m loathe to spend much on it, as I’m expecting lots of expensive bits must be getting very tired (clutch, gearbox, brake system, can’t be far off due a cambelt, the exhaust is getting a bit noisy etc).

The steering is really only noticeable when manoeuvring or parking, I honestly couldn’t tell you if it was working or not once moving. I have driven a few cars without in my time though.

v8ninety

The steering is really only noticeable when manoeuvring or parking, I honestly couldn’t tell you if it was working or not once moving. I have driven a few cars without in my time though.

I reckon you can get that through the MoT, unless the tester has one on him.

In seriousness, check your tyre pressures. A slightly soft front tyre can really make marginal PAS struggle.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Electronic power assistance not working Major

Yes but your Focus probably has hydraulic power steering and not electronic…big difference. you can still steer a car with failed hydraulic power steering pump…you just need a to put your back into it. Not so with electric power steering so clearly more serious if it fails.

If I were you I’d try replacing the fluid. You think it ‘seems’ alright but the nature of the fluid is that if it is compromised e.g. contaminated with water, then you will get intermittent operation. A hydraulic pump either fails completely or it doesn’t fail, the fact it’s intermittent suggests to me its the fluid rather than the pump.

joshvegas
    Free Member

clutch, gearbox, brake system, can’t be far off due a cambelt, the exhaust is getting a bit noisy etc

In my book they are all wear items.

Except maybe the gearbox…

But 143000 is hardly super milage.

I buy them at that 😀

flyingmonkeycorps

It’s quite high for a 1.6 petrol!

trail_rat
    Free Member

While I copied the wrong link. If you refer to the same testers handbook rather than picking in the wrong statement

Defect Category
    (a) Power steering fluid leaking or system malfunctioning Major

Same shit different day. It’s still **** and it’s still a fail.

jamesoz

Sorry missed the hydraulic bit, as I said my hydraulic PAS was in a right state and passed with a minor. What’s it like with the belt removed?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Power Steering / MOT’ is closed to new replies.