Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Power Plant
  • jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I know you can run a clock off a lemon…

But now, you can charge your phone off a plant:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5APfpfyrRNg[/video]

How long until this is scaled up and we have a decent source of clean energy, negating the need for dumbass fracks and nuclear wasters?

Would less competition for resources reduce the need for wars, which themselves cause a huge amount of pollution…

TheBrick
    Free Member

This reminds me of solar roadways.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I take it you have never heard of diversity of supply? No?

Very fragile power supply you have there, imagine the damage that could be caused by crop dusters…

slowoldman

How long until this is scaled up and we have a decent source of clean energy, negating the need for dumbass fracks and nuclear wasters?

Makes you think.

wwaswas

How long until this is scaled up

GM giant lemons?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I take it you have never heard of diversity of supply?

How many species of plant are there? 😀

With a bit of imagination, could probably get a lichen to squeeze out some free energy for juicing your ipod. Imagine what they could do with the rainforest, if they weren’t chopping it all down on behalf of McDonald’s, Rio Tinto and pals

On top of that, on a planet that’s 3/4 water, odd that tidal hasn’t had more investment, especially when we live on an island…

Keeping the diversity theme, rather than transporting oil, gas and fossil fuels all over the joint (burning more oil, gas and fossil fuels in the process) and squabbling about who controls the oil and gas market with weapons of mass destruction (burning more oil, gas and fossil fuels in the process), why not have an international grid, utilizing global diversity in climate to exploit natural, clean and sustainable energy?

Solar, Geothermal, Wind; it’s all there for the taking, but profit is soooo very important and balls to the grandkids

squirrelking
    Free Member

They’re currently building a dc link between Ayrshire and the Wirral to export (import) all the wind power (baseload) we (don’t) have spare. Hardly international. £1.5bn, most of that being the cable.

Its not as easy as you imagine it is, believe me, I’ve studied it (like as an actual uni course). Possible, but costly in terms of resources.

Edukator
    Free Member

What’s your personal energy consumption Jive? And your carbon foootprint? If you look at energy saving and alternative production the vast majority is down to personal initiatives which may be encouraged by government policy but are not forced on people. If you care about your grandkids do something about it yourself first; don’t worry about things you can’t do anything about. (just posting about them is doing something about some things so keep posting your stuff about the elite that thinks itself above the law).

molgrips
    Free Member

Seriously, there are practical issues with many renewable technologies. One plant for one phone is cute, but how many plants for an aluminium factory?

Soar is expanding anyway. Saw a massive one ou riding yesterday on a disused airfield.

Best thing might turn out to be using local renewable resources (Geo in Iceland, solar in Africa etc) to turn atmospheric carbon into a liquid fuel that can be moved and stored.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Power Plant’ is closed to new replies.