Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Power meter on the cheap.
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Looks like I could get Garmin Vector 2 pedals for £200 odd, all I need is an ANT device to get the data, is that right?

Ewan
    Free Member

And shoes / cleats that work with the pedals (I don’t think mtb ones do)

scaredypants

should be , yeh (I don’t actually have a pair but they ought to pair up with a head unit like a garmin (err, obvz, so I assume you don’t mean that) – whether phones that claim ANT capability have the right variant, I dunno

Have a look at the dcrainmaker site; he’s bound to have done ’em

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    frogstomp

Where are you seeing them for that price? I could be tempted..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes I would need road shoes (mine are on mtb spds) and cleats.

Frogstomper – fleabay, SH

servo
    Free Member

I just ordered a 4iii ultegra 6800 Left crank power meter for £276 from halfords who have 15% off at the moment. With my British Cycling discount this comes down to under £250 which isn’t too bad.
    They have 105 ones for cheaper.

letmetalktomark

@servo – Am I correct in thinking that these are cross compatible with the Shimano crank range – both MTB & Road?

rezis
    Free Member

And remember not all head units/watches with ANT+ support power meters.

servo
    Free Member

I must admit I hadn’t thought that MTB and road cranks weren’t compatible. I am going to use it on my ultegra 6800 road bike.

I think it’s worth asking in a new thread if they can be swapped about.

peteimpreza

They will be cheap for a reason. DC Rainmaker does not rate either the V1 or V2 versions of the Garmin pedals.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If you’re patient, 4iiii 105s have been as low as £200 in the last six months at Probikekit.

cyclistm
    Free Member

IME you can’t mix and match road and MTB crankarms, they are different widths.

DT78
    Free Member

don’t know the answer but with pedals should be able to swap between road and mtb cranks?

just means you will be using road cleats / shoes offroad.

If that is £200 for a pair I would snap them up quick. I have the v3’s and it has some great features which you won’t get from a stages (which I also have) and the like. In particular I really like the pedal dynamics – its identified I have an issue with stability in my right ankle and platform offset, this I think has helped pin down a niggly back issue and its getting better. Lots of other geeky data too

bob_summers

I’ve got a Stages v2 MegaExo I’m not using, can’t remember the length, can check later if any use to you.

TiRed

Even at £200, I wouldn’t. So many issues with battery covers. I’d either go 4iiii crank or Favero Assioma if I wanted an easy life.

I like my power meters, but I wouldn’t buy Garmin or Stages I’m afraid.

EDIT: Since you are looking on EBAY, BePro are the earlier Assioma version and have a much better track record for reliability.

sockpuppet

The be heard trouble about vector 2s, tge 3s seem much better, but are much more money.

You could keep an eye out here at stages seconds/blemished stock, they have LH crank arms for as little as $100 sometimes. If you happen to travel to the states, or know folk who do. (If it’s less than £390 and ‘for your own use’ there’s no duty to be paid.)

Gov.uk website for things from outside EU

cookeaa

If you’re spending £200 on a used PM, you could probably get a used powertap hub/wheel for that, might be more reliable, obviously lacks the L/R measurements and functions but, reliability has a value too…

Kryton57

Merlins cycles have a 4iiii XT crank arm reduced to £299 currently…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m flogging an Ultegra 170mm 34/50 with a Giant twin-sided PM soon, off a new Liv Langma. £300.

DT78
    Free Member

other than not getting anywhere near claimed battery life on my stages they’ve works fine for years. the rival version is potentially up for sale now I have v3s. v3s also haven’t had claimed battery life but reviews say the can often come with depleted batteries

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Got my 105 4iiii for under £300 last year. Been great. Battery life still on about 60% after nearly 1000 miles, though not seen many wet rides but plenty of wet car journeys exposed to the elements on the bike rack. Seems pretty durable and power efficient. I wouldn’t want to ride an MTB in road cleats and do you really want to faff about changing pedals between bikes? Sounds easy and quick enough but you’ll Soon tire of it and will increase wear on the screw threads.

schmiken

I have a Powertap for sale for £150, it could do with a new freehub but works perfectly with a fairly new rim on it too!

BenjiM

Don’t do it. They’re on V3 for a reason.

Constant problems with mine particularly low battery warnings with fresh batteries, pods giving up the ghost (£50 each!) Calibration not picking up correctly, pedals not seeing each other. The list is endless. When they work they’re great, otherwise, steer well clear.

Edit: forgot to mention they’re less than predictable in cold weather.

eddiewoodie
    Free Member

How about http://www.Avio.mobi – £250 sees your existing crank bonded with their powersense unit and they do most MTB cranks. You’ve just got to send them your left crank and they send it back with the powermeter attached and ready to use!
    The unit gets through batteries quite quickly, but they assured me on the phone that this was a software problem that will be sorted in the next week and that you can update the software from your phone!! I’m using mine to great success!!

mos

Read the reviews on vector 2 pedals. Personally i wouldn’t.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve had all versions of the Vectors and if they’re well maintained and software kept up to date then the Vector 2s are fantastic pedals. If someone has let the bearings wear and damaged the axles then they’re next to worthless.

The V3 came out more for aesthetic reasons I believe than for performance issues. And it took them almost a year of user field testing and 2 rounds of battery door covers to get them working reliably. Personally I wish I’d stuck with the V2s.

If you use them without your phone in your pocket and a garmin head unit make sure you turn the bluetooth off mind.

BenjiM

After last night’s rebuild and again failure of the vector 2s to do anything on the left side I called Garmin UK support this morning. Explained that I’d done pretty much everything I could and asked if I can send them in for repair. Unfortunately they don’t have any in stock, however they do have Vector 3 that they can replace them with for £175 if I send them my old Vector 2. Gobsmacked to say the least. I’ll be posting the Vector 2 of tomorrow! Excellent CS from Garmin.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Power meter on the cheap.’ is closed to new replies.