Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Poverty induced maintenance question.
  • Harry_the_Spider

Due to the current economic climate I have been forced, after several decades of bicycle ownership, to start doing my own maintenance.

So then… How do you ensure that a new chain is the correct length? (I’ve got a longer cage on the new mech, so I can’t just make it the same as the old one)

… next week – How do I pump up these tyre things?

Trimix
    Free Member

Thread it through and shift into the Big/Big rings. Size it up from there and then split accordingly I would have thought.

paul4stones

I thought you were an engineer?

happysnapper
    Free Member

the cage length doesn’t affect the length of chain you need. wrap the chain around big front and big rear but not through the derailleurs. If it’s a full suss add a link or two (depending on travel). Split it and then thread through derailleurs and join.

That’s about it.

Olly
    Free Member

oh

dear

me

estimations of HtS have just plumeted.

Put it in big ring, big cog, and split it as short as it will go in that ratio.
    if your sensible with your gears (and dont cross over chainline) you could run it shorter, but would bugger your mech if you ever forgot (and forced it to cross over)

mech length should only make a small difference, suss bikes need extra length to account for chain growth(as above)

hora
    Free Member

If I can build a bike up from scratch, anyone can. I have muppet hammery-hands. I used to build bikes with the aid of kitchen scissors, table knives, allen key set, 1xflat headed screwdriver and a trusty claw hammer. Now I am more civilised 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

(I’ve got a longer cage on the new mech, so I can’t just make it the same as the old one)

Yes you can. But it’s generally big-big + 2 (at longest chainstay for FS)

Harry_the_Spider

oh

dear

me

estimations of HtS have just plumeted.

I was just testing. You have all passed. Well done.

uplink
    Free Member

………..or measure it against the old one

wurzel
    Free Member

…and a trusty claw hammer. Now I am more civilised

invested in a rubber mallett? 😉

Harry_the_Spider

paul4stones – Member
    I thought you were an engineer?

I am, but look at some of the other clowns that were in my graduation class 😉

hora
    Free Member

invested in a rubber mallett?

hahahaha… actually yes! 😕

paul4stones

I am, but look at some of the other clowns that were in my graduation class

Oh. And I’ve been telling people that it is ok that Alfas burn oil because an engineer told me they’re supposed to 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Lol.

You haven’t got one as well have you?

I saw him yesterday topping up the oil before the drive home… It was less than 10 miles.

Petrolhead? Oilhead more like.

jond
    Free Member

BTW, the big/big+two links thing is usually done *without* running it through the mech at the same time (I suspect the ‘add two links’ bit covers that)

paul4stones

An Alfa is too sexy for a dentist apparently.

I did have a Landrover that used more oil than petrol – about 15mpg for both :-0

bent_udder
    Free Member

BTW, the big/big+two links thing is usually done *without* running it through the mech at the same time (I suspect the ‘add two links’ bit covers that)

Wrong. The extra two links allows the chain to shift on and off the large sprocket and large chainring. No gold star for you today. 😀

As said above, take into account chain growth in the back end if installing on a full suss bike, too.

plop_pants
    Free Member

No, no, no. Don’t you lot know anything?!
    Put the chain around the middle chainring, through the mech and around the little sprocket. Pull ends of chain together putting tension in the chain, bringing the bottom jockey wheel down until there is a gap of about 1cm between the chain and the underside of the top jockey wheel. Cut and shut.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Poverty induced maintenance question.’ is closed to new replies.