Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Potholes…..get over it
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Moan time.
    Potholes? been around as long as I can remember. Once all that was needed was a slight of hand to point out the offending article.
    But mostly if you were behind someone you just followed the wheel and all was fine, if you weren’t on a wheel you looked out for yourself. No need at all for a signal.
    And the tards that shout out ‘holes’ where, left or right or Afganistan?
    And cars, they’ve been on the roads as long as I’ve been riding. Sometimes one comes up behind me and sometimes one comes towards me, I know this I don’t need to be told. Look listen ride.
    One good little signal is the back of the hand on the butt to signal moving out.

So tell me is all this constant jibber jabber unique to the UK? IIRC in Belgium the road is your look out, seems to be the same in France as well.

Sorry just had a great weekend in France without any of this tripe being spoken.

wrightyson
    Free Member

If someone touched my butt whilst in the woods riding I’d presume I’d used my allotted time…

johndoh
    Free Member

Seriously. What the funk are you talking about?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Our rides are pretty much silent of shouts of hole unless its a very fast descent in a big group. Like wise, car up or tail only gets shouted when we’re strung out over the road and it won’t be obvious to the folk at the front because of wind noise etc. The constant shouting does my head in, but a few choice hand signals go a long way to make life easier for everyone.

anagallis_arvensis

What really annoys me are the tards who shout “car single out” like 20 bikrs in single file are easier to pass than ten two abrest.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Roadieworld problem. This is STW, get some suspension and ride the proverbial, then your worries are over. That or go back to land of the cheese eating surrender monkeys, i’m sure they’ll be more sympathetic about the excitable lycra clad rosbeefs! 😆

footflaps

Find a different bunch to ride with?

zippykona

The one and only time I’ve come across this is in Australia.
    We were on our way to the dirt and there was “car back, car front” . Then there was “snake”. A few tuts while I took pictures.

brakes
    Free Member

see, whilst I like road riding, all this tomquackery just puts me off riding in a group.

oldgit
    Free Member

Find a different bunch to ride with?

Funnilly enough 🙂

Bez

Then there was “snake”

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGlyFc79BUE[/video]

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

You are complaining about people complaining! I’m not complaining btw.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“Find a different bunch to ride with?”

Funnilly enough

Funnily enough what ? You do ride with another bunch ? What’s the problem then ?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Potholes and lumpy bits get pointed at.

The craters that litter the Staffordshire roads get a verbal warning.

Don’t normally bother warning about cars with the fast lads on a Sunday ride but the shower of shite I ride with on a Saturday are all over the road and shouting “CAR UP” or “CAR DOWN” is necessary to stop someone being killed. 😯 🙄

brooess
    Free Member

I’m ok with it – saves me or anyone else taking a tumble. Can’t see the holes if you’re riding tight in a group.
    I like the ‘looking out for each other’ culture – it can be hard to find these days.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I thought the idea was to let the bunch know to avoid big tumbles?
    In oz and it’s all done with hand signals except for Car Back – hard to hand signal from the back!

Though the single file thing annoys me, we have local guidleines on bunch sizes to avoid the bigger issues. Someone told me we were riding single file, I was just not in the gutter on a narrow bit of road.

antigee

One good little signal is the back of the hand on the butt to signal moving out.

I do feel that shouting “two up” at this point might be lead to some confusion

wordnumb
    Free Member

The potholes are the best bit.

TheSanityAssassin

brooess – Member

I’m ok with it – saves me or anyone else taking a tumble. Can’t see the holes if you’re riding tight in a group.
    I like the ‘looking out for each other’ culture – it can be hard to find these days.

I’m with you on this. When I’m chewing the bars with the quick lads on a Sunday club ride I want to know what’s going on in front of me when I can’t see the road ahead. Also, the roads are often so bad in places that a shout of ‘out’ or ‘middle’ (or whatever is necessary) is much the preferred option to removing a hand from the bars at pace.

If I find myself in the miserable situation of actually being on tarmac whilst riding my bike, a nice pothole breaks up the tedium somewhat.

They don’t really bother the massive tyres on my 4×4 either!

_tom_
    Free Member

^swoon

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Potholes…..get over it’ is closed to new replies.