Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Potholes…
  • PrinceJohn

On my cycle to work a couple of days ago I hit a pothole in the road, didn’t see it until the last minute, managed to lift my front wheel up but my back wheel took the full force & I ended up with a puncture.

I’ve now reported the pothole & had an email back this morning that said… (it’s about 200mm x 100mm)

We have inspected the reported issue and we have determined that in accordance with our Highway Maintenance Manual it does not require attention at the present time However the area is inspected regularly so should there be any significant deterioration then appropriate action will be taken at that time

I’m not looking to claim, I want them to fix it. Can I escalate it at all?

TiRed

Depth is the issue not size. Guidance is 70 mm for immediate fix on a road and 40 mm on a bike path. Tell them it is an area that is regularly cycled and is deeper than 40 mm so needs immediate attention.

Point to the case of Ralph Brazier in Surrey and the Coroner’s findings about 40 vs. 70 mm on routes ridden by cyclists.

PrinceJohn

Ok cool thanks – I’ve given that a go & will see what happens

GrahamS

Cycling UK (formerly the CTC) run the FillThatHole website and apps: https://www.fillthathole.org.uk/

Worth reporting it on there.

Also look up your council in the league table to see what their response time is like and what previous potholes they have dealt with in the area.

PrinceJohn

109 in the league table – definite room for improvement.

DezB
    Free Member

Get a chisel and make it bigger.

I claimed for tyre damage after the winter’s pothole extravaganza – followed all the online recommendations – asking the council for the history of repair on the road, all that stuff. They say they have 3 months to reply. They didn’t, so I chased it. Turns out, this year councils have been inundated with claims and are still catching up with them. My claim has since been forwarded to the contractor responsible for that road, and still not gone through (was only £90!).

So they cut the council budgets so they can’t repair the roads properly and then have to pay out christ knows how much in repairs and compensation for damage to people’s vehicles. Make sense that.

PrinceJohn

So… I re-reported the pothole & just had an email back saying they’ve inspected it & it’s on the repair list!

parkesie
    Free Member

Plant flowers in it or become your areas wanksy and paint a penis around it

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Potholes…’ is closed to new replies.