Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Potential silly lumenator battery mounting Q
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

So I picked this light up yesterday. Being my first ‘serious’ light with an external battery I wondered whether I am mounting it in the most secure way?

Using the clip and strap doesnt seem very secure on the top tube of my hard tail. I’m sure its probably just me being an ignoramus but how do you secure yours?

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I have a couple of lights I use regulalry and the all mount on the frame or bars in a bag with a velcro strap. Never had one fall off but depending on your frame tubes they can slide along the tubd and start to rattle.

I stuck mine in a water bottle in a cage the other night though and its a much better mounting option – neat, waterproof and rattle free.

wwaswas

my lupine batteries have a strap above and below so one goes around the top tube and one the down – keeps it in place and stops it swinging.

jam-bo

light on helmet and battery in bag/pocket.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I’m probably not explaining very well here but the lumenator battery has a velcro strap but that seems designed more to enclose the rubber battery and not for mounting.

My hard tail is a 456 so has quite a skinny top tube which probably isnt helping matters much.

Does anyone have pics of theirs mounted to the frame?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ditto jam bo. Get it on yer head, has such a good spread that there is not really any need for a light on the bars.

trout
    Free Member

does it look like this cos its mega secure on my toptube

ell_tell
    Free Member

Ditto jam bo. Get it on yer head, has such a good spread that there is not really any need for a light on the bars.

I potentially would for off road but I also plan to use it, albeit on its lowest setting, for my communte which is half on road and half through a park. Wouldn’t want to blind drivers with the helmet mountin.

Edit: @Trout – got the battery pack beside me now and was thinking the same idea as in your pic. Cheers 😳

Kind of renders the strap on the side a little pointless though doesn’t it?

trout
    Free Member

Belt and braces approach if the velcro lets go

ell_tell
    Free Member

I used to keep an old Animal velcro watch strap on the top tube of my old bike, in case of need for an emergency strap.

Never did have cause to use it but maybe I’ll try and bodge some sort of velcro back up 🙂

alex222
    Free Member

Get it on yer head, has such a good spread that there is not really any need for a light on the bars.

The helmet mount isn’t very good though.

IMO

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The helmet mount itself is fine, the Velcro is guff. A couple of cable ties soon sort that out.

jam-bo

Helmet mount is guff, mounts straight onto a hex with a bit of closed cell foam to get the angle right.

Untitled by jambo-uk, on Flickr

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I found that on both my hardtail and full sus the velcro will wrap round but the strap bottoms out before it really tightens and because of it, it moved. The way I’ve solved it is by wrappnig a dead inner tube round the top tube where the battery will sit to bulk it out and also to give it something to grip to. It seems to work, that’s for sure.

Mike_T

The supplied battery bag lasted one ride for me, so I cobled together some hook and loop velcro (3 and 5 cm width)strips. Works a treat no movement.

[/url]
    battery mount by mikemike948, on Flickr[/img]

drofluf
    Free Member

I’ve got mine at the junction of top tube and down tube. Velcro strap round top tube, other strap round down tube. Skinny tubed Swift and no issues

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Potential silly lumenator battery mounting Q’ is closed to new replies.