Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Potential Scam?
  • ravingdave

I am selling a SC Heckler frame on Gumtree; just before the advert expires I got an email from someone asking if I could ship to Mexico City (at their cost) and to pay via paypal; could this be a complicated scam? Anyone got any experience or advice? Would like the frame sold but don’t want to be out of pocket!

cheers
    Dave

allthepies
    Free Member

Now, what does your instinct tell you ? 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s not complicated. It’s just a scam. you post it. They say they didn’t get it or it’s damaged or not as described. PP side with them. You are out a frame and cash

hugo
    Free Member

You will find yourself without a frame, and with Paypal refunding your chap in Mexico for non-delivery if you go ahead with this.

Gumtree is great, but it leads to cash only transactions for me.

ravingdave

fair one; I was thinking if I had them pay for proof of postage and adequate insurance that could be countered, but instinct makes me nervous. the internet really is a s**t place!

rickmeister

Ask them to pay up front, with shipping cost using paypal gift only.

Either, they will and you get the cash up front then post.
    Or
    They know exactly whats going on and how paypal works, and refuse.

I think that you are responsible for it until it arrives, proof of postage or not… proof of postage is not proof of delivery.

scandal42
    Free Member

Go along with it and don’t send the bike, just for a laugh like.

njee20
    Free Member

Could be a person wanting to buy the bike who’s in Mexico City? The gumtree bit makes me dubious admittedly.

akira

Email them back with the amazing news that you’re about to holiday near there location and counting the bike with you.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

atlaz
    Free Member

Email them back with the amazing news that you’re about to holiday near there location and counting the bike with you.

It’s Mexico city. I’m sure they’re happy to liberate the bike in person, at gunpoint so I suspect they won’t be put off by this turn of events

plyphon
    Free Member

Ask for payment with Western Union

globalti
    Free Member

Does the email include the phrase: “I will not want you to worry”?

419 scam.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Would you buy a bike from Mexico City over the Internet?

oddjob3000
    Free Member

Could be legit, could be scam. One thing is for certain though: The internal postal service in Mexico City is very very poor and delays/lost items are common.
    The only way I’d sell to someone there is to have them arrange and pay for the collection using their courier of choice. That way the second its been collected from you its their responsibility and you are stress free.

kerley
    Free Member

Ask them to pay up front, with shipping cost using paypal gift only.

Although I wouldn’t entertain the idea this is the way to do it if you really must as a gift means they don’t get any protection/can’t claim their money back

chris36860
    Free Member

I have my SC Nomad on Gumtree at the moment and so far I’ve had 3 different offers to pay full price via PayPal right away. I responded to one of them asking for a bank transfer but had a reply saying that they were blind and were confined to a wheel chair and couldn’t use the computer to transfer!! They didn’t reply to my email asking how they would ride the bike or even reply to my email if they were blind!! Never using Gumtree again!

Cheezpleez

Kill everyone and eat your own testicles.

scandal42
    Free Member

Kill everyone and eat your own testicles.

Agreed, it’s the best way of ensuring you don’t lose the bike and the money.

DrP

I have my SC Nomad on Gumtree at the moment and so far I’ve had 3 different offers to pay full price via PayPal right away. I responded to one of them asking for a bank transfer but had a reply saying that they were blind and were confined to a wheel chair and couldn’t use the computer to transfer!!

Oi – hands off Rose, she’s mine…

DrP

chris36860
    Free Member

DrP – that’s the one! I had both of those emails!!

garlic
    Free Member

Seems odd considering the number of used Heckers available in the US. It’d be easier/cheaper for the buyer to source one from there. Either the buyer is an idiot (stay clear) or a crook (stay clear).

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Potential Scam?’ is closed to new replies.