Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Potential perfect mudguards for cross/gravel…
  • s1m0n
    Free Member

Just been on the SKS site and note they have a new SKS Speedrocker mudguard set (not due to March 2019 though).

As someone who likes to take mudguards on and off depending on the conditions and the riding I’m doing these could be ideal. Shame can’t get them now for the current cr*p conditions.

S

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve been rolling with an ass saver on the gravel bike works really well for something so simple

bikejon
    Free Member

I have just ordered a set of these. I’ve been crying out for mudguards that give something like the coverage of full mudguards for wide tyres but also have enough clearance for mixed terrain type rides. I also want quick removal as I have horizontal dropouts and my rear wheel and mudguards prevent removal of it. Hopefully these will fit the bill. I’ll report back in case anyone is interested (They are too new for any online reviews).

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’d be interested to hear your opinion and about how they fit – look like they’d be a good solution for my comuter as I’ve no guard mounts on it. The blumels could be a good option but from what I can see the rear needs eyelets.

bikejon
    Free Member

They are due to arrive today. I should be able to get them fitted today but I’ll not be able to road test until later in the week.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The blumels could be a good option but from what I can see the rear needs eyelets.

Any lack of eyelets can usually be p-clipped if your tube-profile is standard*. A little insulation tape beneath will help with lining up if they are regularly removed and refitted.

* Even if not there’s usually a way around it, bending, fashioning etc. Thick zip ties tightly-cinched against a pads (made of vulcanised-together layers of inner-tube) are an easy option.

bikejon
    Free Member

Ok, they arrived and I fitted them. They are simple to fit with nice sturdy rubber bands. You get some nice frame protective strips with it so its worth taking the time to clean the frame and carefully applying these. Mud under those bands would start scuffing your frame if you didn’t.
    They are just what I’ve been after for years. Removal of both guards should take under a minute and only slightly more to refit. There is bags of clearance due to the way the arms come out at 90° before bending down to the forks. They are 43mm wide. Luckily they fit between my rear stays, although I don’t have much clearance under the bridge of my stays.
    You can choose multiple locations to mount the arms to the frame or fork so it’s easy to avoid disc brakes or other fittings. There is some fore/aft adjustment on the arms and you can lock in the position with small allen key bolts. You can also attach over the top of any cables you have running down the frame.
    I would describe these as the closest thing you can get to full length gravel guards. They should work well when just on the road but still have the clearance for light mud.
    I haven’t road tested yet. I suspect I will notice the toe overlap on the front guard so I’ll have to remember that. Otherwise they seem a really solid product. I cannot imagine they will rattle, slide or bounce about. But I’ll confirm soon.
    It’s a shame I cannot post up any pictures but hopefully I’ve described them ok. Let me know if you have any questions.

hardtailonly

It’s a shame I cannot post up any pictures but hopefully I’ve described them ok. Let me know if you have any questions.

Would be rather good if you could work out a way to post …

The SKS website doesn’t seem to have any pics actually fitted to bikes. Currently I make do with an ass-saver and mucky nutz downtube fender on my Pickenflick, but it does limit my ability to go off road in the slop (or indeed go for a wet road ride) unless I’m happy to get caked in crap.

So, I might be interested. But a) I don’t want my nice Ti bike to look gopping, and b) would like the know how well they stay in place off road.

john_l
    Free Member

Problem Solvers do some nice little adapters that work with your QR if you don’t have eyelets. They work really well.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I use some Tortec reflective commuter guards – just normal full-mudguard style ones on my gravel bike. We’re pretty cheap – £15 or so.
    They just stay on year round. I have 38mm tyres and have only once had them clog up with mud.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*bookmarked. Good that they seem to be working out so far, keep us updated 👍🏼

Now try them on a frosty morning with some neuwave pulsing from the earbuds for the full effect!

jimdubleyou

Mrs Dubs has these on her bike.

https://www.evanscycles.com/zefal-trail-hybrid-city-mudguard-set-700c-x-23-38c-EV170414

I’ll be buying some for my cross bike too – cheap as chips.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I use similar ones to those Zefal ones for bikes that might see mud and SKS full length ones for commuting bike that sticks to the road.

I live near the south downs and the claggy clay mud would still clog up those SKS speedrocker ones.

Decathlon do some zefal style clip on ones for 5.99 too…
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/300-bike-24-28-mudguard-kit-id_8328053.html

SimonR

Tredz website has some photos of a bike with those SKS Speedrocker guards on – looks pretty tidy ….

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Speedrocker-Mudguard-Set_212923.htm

SimonR

Using SKS Raceblade XLs at the moment and they’re OKish in terms of coverage but seem to be pretty flexy and easy to knock out of place so they need regular adjustment.

Dead easy to remove and refit though ….

bikejon
    Free Member

Yep, that is how they look on my bike too. The most inelegant bit is by the too fork attachment but I still think it looks ok. Worth it for being able to whip them off. It takes less than 30s for both guards when I tried it.
    I’m planning a ride with that later today. The trails will be very muddy after this storm so it will be a good test.
    I’ve created a bit more clearance under my rear bridge by cutting a suitable hole in the guards and enables them to sit about 3mm closer to the bridge. That does make a difference on the tyre clearance for me.
    Those cheaper guards might be ok. In my experience the guards tend to bounce around if they don’t have stays near the end.

scruff
    Free Member

Any updates on these? I’ve snapped another bluesmells.

SimonR

Took the plunge and bought some Speedrockers – bit pricy but very pleased so far. Easy to fit, good coverage and seem pretty sturdy – no rubbing at all even off-road. They’re on a Sonder Camino so admittedly there’s plenty of clearance to play with even with 700x42c WTB Resolutes.

woody2000

The SKS urban Velo 42s are a cheaper alternative if you’re not running really wide tyres – I use mine with 38mm “cruiser” tyres, no problem with clogging. 2 minutes to remove, though you are left with the sliders attached if that kind of thing bothers you.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Potential perfect mudguards for cross/gravel…’ is closed to new replies.