Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Potential new job.. how big a sacrifice for a better work/life balance.
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

That’s a good idea in theory Singletrackmind.. I have a wish list for my current employer.

Every second Friday off

no weekends

2 nights out a week

cap hours at 55 hours a week

no 15 hour days or starts before 4am

the list is longer than that but that’s the major concerns for me, I have been unhappy there for a while now and feel like they are just burning me out all the time, it has had implications on my mental health so I wouldn’t be lying in saying that.

However.. my manager is the owners son and he would make a great politician, answers a question with a question, you go in asking 1 thing and come out agreeing to work for free 3 days a week. He has a way of diverting off topic to avoid dealing with it. If he does deal with it it’s only for a short time and it’s soon back to being hammered all day every day. He thinks we are all motivated by money and want the maximum hours possible, I have already told him I’m not bothered.

Plus when your known as accommodating and willing to help out when you can you get taken advantage of, those who shout loudest get catered for and those who plod away get screwed over.

I was at breaking point last May/June time and managed to haul myself back up then had another turn of feeling very low about October/November time but again I managed to dig myself out of it. I’m less inclined to give 2 hoots now, I’m done arguing with them and knocking my pan in.

His standard reply is “well other guys manage it and they are older than you”.

singletrackmind

Then go over his head to his Dad?
    remember this
    48 hours a week
    48 weeks a year
    48 years off your life
    then its golf or audax riding till you go into a box

toblerone1

Great post STW. I’m mulling over something similar myself and this was such a refreshing read.

kennyp
    Free Member

You will only get one chance to see your daughter grow up. Don’t be looking back in years to come and regret missing it.

1981miked
    Free Member

Said it before and I’ll say it again.. some great responses on this thread.

It was pretty much what I was thinking. STW has it bob on.. I will see what comes on Monday when I get told and then approach my boss and see what he says.

I have given them 10 years of hard work and locality. I have missed numerous family commitments to pull them out the sh#t and worked myself to as near a total breakdown as I ever want to go. I was signed off by the doctor as a result of work related stress. Let’s hope he remembers all that.

singletrackmind

Write down how you feel. Letter copied to senior people who have any influence. Try not to draw lines in the sand , be amiable , don’t threaten or demand.
    You are still employed , and now have option which is a great situation to be in. Having worked with the company for years shows loyalty.
    Just because the other staff want to work all hours thats up tp them , you are an individual with a family.
    See what they say , you may be surprised

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Potential new job.. how big a sacrifice for a better work/life balance.’ is closed to new replies.