Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Potential Logging trailer for the Fatty
  • trout
    Free Member

Partly inspired by McMoonters Logging barrow over in the What have you made thread and the fact that I pass loads of old logs on a few of my rides I wanted to make a trailer so I could bring some home for the fire.

Rescued 3 of these old school table frames from a skip yesterday and thought it would make an ideal log collector.

anyone know of good wheels and axles plus how to fix it to the bike

mattsccm
    Free Member

How about BMX front wheels? 4 sets of front forks. You could link them together to have a rigid axle or allow them to swivel like a shopping trolley. 😆

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Have a wee look at this.

http://www.andrewhazelden.com/blog/2011/12/building-a-do-it-yourself-bicycle-trailer-and-hiking-cart/

Don’t underestimate how heavy even short cut log lengths are. When I loaded mine up with longer lengths it made for a Britain’s Strongest Man style challenge to move it. I quickly learned lighter loads move much more quickly.

Most of my rides these days are thinly veiled log finding sorties. 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JoeG
    Free Member

This is probably the one with the fattest tire that I’ve seen

fatbike trailer

coastkid
    Free Member

Thats my rig :mrgreen:

cut off and welded wider to except a 4″ kite buggy wheel that has 20mm internal bearings, i just added Hope Pro 2 inserts…

More hieght would not be that much advantage as a BOB fully loaded with hardwood logs is easily twice the trailers stated limit. It can take it no probs but the bikes front wheel starts to lift once you start hauling crazy weights, i hauled a Morris Minor engine 4 miles with it but nearly killed my wrists trying to keep the front end down! 🙂

Trailer action;
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX-TQQB7xTY[/video]

trout
    Free Member

Coastkids looks great but would be well over budget

Axle and 2 wheels plus hitch to seatpost was what I had in mind

my google skilz are bad and cant find cheap wheels with bearings in that would fit on a stub axle of some sort.

brant
    Free Member

B&Q do a sack truck with a great pair of wheels on it for £24.99.
    I used two to make a go kart for the kids.

irelanst
    Free Member
    havinalaff
    Free Member

for stub axle hubs go to local disabled equipment stores and beg steal borrow an old wheelchair, stub axle wheels with all fixing and built in tyre guards rated for fat bastards.

trout
    Free Member

Cheers Brant could`nt find one in my local B n Q
    They look pretty good from RS Ta irelanst

Mugboo

What about a used child trailer, that way you get a way of fastening to your bike and reasonable size wheels.

stumpy01

How about wheelbarrow wheels? Bushes only though, so might not last long. Could always replace with an insert and some cartridge bearings?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pneumatic-wheel-360mm-diameter/20600?kpid=20600&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CI_q1v-e2bgCFTLMtAodlhgAYg

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p35536?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googleshopping&mkwid=V1EOxkpk&pcrid=25046312303&gclid=CLb914Of2bgCFcfJtAodcBcAgQ

Might be a bit heavy?

How about the wheels of those off-road baby stroller things? I had a quick Google and they were bloomin’ expensive, but I imagine the plastic ones would be quite light and strong.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

These are the puncture proof wheels I fitted to my trailer.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/051310395

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Couldn’t you just source a couple of BMX wheels running cup and cone, install a longer axel offset to one side and cap off the shallow side with a dome headed bolt?

trout
    Free Member

After much perusing of the links Ta everyone I have gone for these
    Wheels

They should arrive today and as its pissing down I have started the construction

next thing to overcome is some sort of hitch to the seatpost ?

trout
    Free Member

Just waiting for Parcel force to deliver the wheels so I can spin up the stub axles.

righog
    Free Member

Looks like a great project Trout ! ( Nice shed BTW 🙂 )

Coastkid..Thanks I now want something new that had never crossed my radar before 😀

trout
    Free Member

Slowly getting close to its maiden voyage

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

You gonna hang that off your reverb? Brave.

Great idea- makes me want a fat bike in fact.

How about a matching trailer for the on-one fatty brant?

maccruiskeen

You gonna hang that off your reverb? Brave.

not best practice to hitch the trailer up so high, especially when the load is so heavy, you’re better off hitching as low as possible such as at the rear axel – you want the bike to be able to lean independently of the load and at the seat post you’re having to move the load to lean the bike – or its going to shove you and steer you in directions you don’t want to go. If its not too late to do so I’d move the trailer axel back a bit so theres a bit of nose weight so the load doesn’t pick the bike up

trout
    Free Member

No the reverb will be removed for trailor duties .

Maccruiskeen
    I see your points but will have to run with it for now I dont see the speeds I will be doing needing much leaning .
    it is nose heavy at the moment

Like the idea of the matching Fatty trailor Brant

coastkid
    Free Member

Anyone wanting a cheap version of a BoB trailer these are on eBay 🙂

Here is a BOB copy trailer on eBay for £55 free P&P; Cargo Bicycle trailer

And what i used for a wheel for £28 free P&P
    Kite Buggy Wheel

cut the rear yoke, splay and reweld and jobs a good one

maccruiskeen

I dont see the speeds I will be doing needing much leaning .

I’m thinking more about the leaning you do to balance, especially at low speeds, rather than knee-down cornering.

You’ll feel more of the weight with a high hitch as you’re moving that weight about to balance while you ride – it’ll make your bike feel heavy, hitched lower down you’ll be aware you’re pulling the weight along but your bike will feel like your bike.

For the axel position, starting off particularly, if the weight is seesawing about the axel of the trailer the weight will pitch backwards when you pull away and you’ll loose traction, you want the axel far enough back that theres nose weight still as you pull away and also if you’re climbing.

Looks like fun though – I ran a workshop building bike trailers and hand-carts for cargo so that the people of Lincolnshire could continue to trade if a tsunami wiped away all the civil infrastructure.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Potential Logging trailer for the Fatty’ is closed to new replies.