Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Pot holes & car damage
  • Mounty_73

Whilst driving & visiting my parents yesterday, I hit a large and deep pot hole which caused instant damage to my front passenger  wheel.

Resulting in me having to call the AA to get the car recovered and taken to my garage/mechanic.  I have paperwork, details, photo’s etc, but what is the best thing to do….

Can I report it to anyone?  Is it worth the hassle?

Drac

You can report it the council for that area, it’s usually very little hassle as many have an online form. However, I think the need to be made aware of the pothole before which relies on people doing that. They then have a time frame to make repairs which I think is 14 days depending on the extent of hole but I’m not sure.

kayak23

I’ve just been staying up near Clitheroe. The roads were like the surface of the moon, only rougher.

They must get a lot of claims, or just a lot of swerving. 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s an appalling situation that we have in this country.

It’s understandable the rise of SUVs and 4×4’s considering the condition of the uks road network.

jam-bo

It’s an appalling situation that we have in this country.

war, famine, disease i would put in the appalling category.

potholes i’d class as annoying. 😉

CountZero

war, famine, disease i would put in the appalling category.

potholes i’d class as annoying. 😉

Apart from the fact that cyclists have died as a result of hitting potholes in the dark, yeah, they’re just annoying.

cheers_drive

It’s understandable the rise of SUVs and 4×4’s considering the condition of the uks road network.

Yes but at the same time tyres are getting lower and lower profile which makes no sense.

I don’t drive this much but had to do quite a bit this week, really shocked at the surface of some motorways and dual carriageways. I wouldn’t want to be riding a motorbike these days, some potholes looked deadly if you hit them at speed.

paulevans
    Free Member

I live in Cumbria and the roads around here are in dreadful condition with some being beyond dangerous. A good friend of mine came off his bike before Christmas and is likely to loose the sight in one eye as a result!

I would say that the amount and severity of the potholes locally are having a depressing effect upon me – sounds stupid, but i think it is true.

Also, when did it become acceptable to have potholes on the motorway. Took a trip down the M6 recently and you have to swerve to avoid them. As mentioned above, some of them would have a motorcyclist off their bike!

With the state of the country’s finances at the moment it is hard to see when there will be sufficient funds available to repair even a fraction of the roads. I live in a tourist heavy town and i’m embarrassed by the state of the road network!

tonyf1
    Free Member

A lot of the roads around Stroud and the five valleys are third world and have been for years.

The area is very popular with cyclists and some of the potholes are getting to be negligent level in how dangerous they are now.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I work & drive in & around Harrogate, which is possibly one of the more ‘affluent’ towns in Britain. The roads are shocking, absolutely disgraceful.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Report it to fixmystreet.com

There will then be a public record of them being informed. You may even find it has already been reported, and if not within a reasonable time period you may have a claim…

fossy

Contact the council. If the hole has been reported they have so long to repair it.  My BIL had two tyres paid for.

I’ve smashed two road bike rims on potholes, one wheel was brand new !  Didn’t bother claiming.

somafunk

you want potholes?, we got potholes (dumfries & galloway) deep enough to bury a tory mp

Del

did a tyre on my car this week and it’s going in for geometry monday as it’s out. made a hell of a bang when i hit the pothole.  :/

zippykona

Chris Grayling will be onto it once he’s saved the hedgehogs.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/grayling-finally-gets-the-top-job/

johndoh
    Free Member

I work & drive in & around Harrogate, which is possibly one of the more ‘affluent’ towns in Britain. The roads are shocking, absolutely disgraceful.

Agreed – Beckwith Road in particular is dreadful and Skipton Road near the East Parade junction is collapsing right now.

Drac

A82 Ranorch Moor.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Beckwith Road isn’t being resurfaced until the drainage has been done, sometime in the next couple of months apparently.. then they’ll resurface the whole road.

The Farm had a letter about it the other week.

But I agree Harrogate is pretty terrible..

Anyone use the A27 between Emsworth and Chichester? It was one of those old concrete roads from BITD, then they lain tarmac over the top and now it’s like a minefield for 7 miles.. Just disgraceful.

Appalling is the correct term to use to describe the UK Road surfaces, yes there are plenty of other issues to worry about and building a White Elephant Train to the North is one of them. HTH’s.

johndoh
    Free Member

Beckwith Road isn’t being resurfaced until the drainage has been done, sometime in the next couple of months apparently.. then they’ll resurface the whole road.

Good! About time.

Nico
    Free Member

It was one of those old concrete roads from BITD

That’s because it’s on a soft substrate, being on a low-lying bit of coast.

There’s a pothole on the Leatherhead by-pass, on the bridge over the Mole, that opens up every year once the weather gets a bit crap. They come out and patch it really quickly these days, then the process is repeated the following winter, sometimes later the same winter. I’d be interested to know at what point it becomes cheaper to do a proper fix.

RustyNissanPrairie

If only there was a better way of raising the attention of potholes?

Anonymous Artist ‘Wanksy’ Draws Penises On UK Potholes To Make Government Fix Them

stevextc
    Free Member

I’ve just been staying up near Clitheroe. The roads were like the surface of the moon, only rougher.

They must get a lot of claims, or just a lot of swerving. 🙂

Lots of this happened last Winter …. and just hasn’t been repaired.
    Not saying they were brilliant before but a definite step change… they managed to put in the 20 limit and resurface after the railway bridge going towards Waddington but after that it’s pretty bad… (as in you’d probably not unlock your forks)

TBH the road/track to Guisburn Forest is about as challenging technically on a bike as one of the Blue’s… some of the drop offs (pot holes) are quite possibly bigger than anything on the blue trails,,,,

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

For those in harrogate, don’t worry, the road repairs are due to start just after the train update.

bedmaker

On some of the really bad bits around here, the council have taken to just sticking a sign up saying ‘Temporary road surface’…

It would be comical if it wasn’t just depressing at the same time.

And WTF is going on with tarmac these days, one stretch near me was resurfaced last summer and it’s already opening up into potholes.  It’s some brittle shite that seems to get used instead of actual flexible material.

I read somewhere it’s all the fault of carbon bike makers, creaming off all the good stuff from pitch to make carbon bikes.

That’s why I bought a Pole. 😉

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Sick of potholes.  18” 40 profile wheels too lol

vongassit
    Free Member

Don’t come to Skye! we dont have pot holes , we have miles of cluster bomb craters. It’s never ever been this bad & we are use to crappy roads. I think the council have run out of 20mph & temporary road surface signs, they have grass cutters & grave diggers out with buckets of cold tar as the work force has been decimated over the last 10 years.

We are doomed!

vongassit
    Free Member

example

">http://

vongassit
    Free Member

">http://

vongassit
    Free Member

http://

vongassit
    Free Member

http://

Get the picture?

btbb
    Free Member

vongassit – where’s the last photo taken, the one with the car in?

I’d take a photo in Braes but if I let go of my car it may disappear without trace down a pothole.

vongassit
    Free Member

It’s the road to Greshornish & thats not the worst part of it either.

crewlie

Ah, it looks like Skye’s roads are a lot like Arran’s.

epicyclo

I can’t help thinking that some of those roads would be better if they simply tore up the tarmac and did a decent job of turning them into a gravel road.

Then a light skim with a final trim grader every so often would keep it in order.

And those of us running 2″ tyres on our road bikes would really appreciate it. 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Pot holes & car damage’ is closed to new replies.