Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Pot hole damage! 4 wheel content – advice?
  • PikeBN14
    Free Member

Any one had any experience of getting any form of compo from the Council for car damage caused by a pothole?

Drove a mile home from my girlfriends (needed the car to ferry 5 kids to an ice skating birthday do) hit a big pothole at the end of her road, swore but didn’t think to much of it until I found an oil slick under my car the next morning! It’s not old, it’s done 40 something thousand miles as is well maintained, have I got any hope of the Council coughing up? 🙁

Kind of ruined an otherwise good weekend!

simon1975

You’ll need to prove that the council were aware of the hole and had failed to take action

spooky_b329

Is it an unmade/unadopted road? (If you hit a pothole that big its likely) If so, the council arn’t responsible anyway.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

Pike post this on http://www.pistonheads.com forum

PikeBN14
    Free Member

No, it’s a proper b road. There are white lines sprayed round it, so it looks like someone is aware!!

The roads have a taken a fair hammering in the sunny south, where I am, this year, the worst I’ve seen in my 40 years!!

Cheers Hora, I’ll give it a go….

gwaelod
    Free Member

What’s the point in having a 4WD if it get’s buggered by a pothole?

Sell it and buy a 40yr old Opel Kadett

Lootenant
    Free Member

Er, I have. I claimed a new (2nd hand) set of wheels from Lancs County Council after hitting a pothole and bending two of them. It was cheaper for a set 2nd hand than for two new before anyone shouts at me.

I rang the highways department, they supplied me with a claim form (so they’re obviously used to having to pay out for damage caused by shoddy roads) which I returned with pictures of the wheels, the pothole and the road around it showing the location.

You’ll need to prove that the council were aware of the hole and had failed to take action

I don’t think I did, I just sent them the form and threw myself on their mercy.

To be fair to them there was no problem after I proved the car was mine, insured, roadworthy and I explained why I was claiming for four wheels rather than just the two that were damaged

thomthumb
    Free Member

I got payed out for a bent alloy on my clio; payed the full ammount out.

spooky_b329

He didn’t say its a 4×4, just that it has 4 wheels 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don’t think I did, I just sent them the form and threw myself on their mercy.

You will have to prove they were aware first, I’ve had it twice now. I have two flatspotted alloys and no cash – “we cant be aware of all potholes, you can only claim if we have been warned but not repaired it, oh and if it belongs to the gas/elec/phone company you have to claim from them…”

I give in.

Del

you only need to prove it if they dispute your claim on the basis they didn’t know about it and hadn’t done something about it in a ‘reasonable time’.
    it’ll be the council’s highway’s dept unless it’s a motorway. the fact that it has paint sprayed around it suggests they do know about it. take pics as soon as you can, get a quote to repair from a main dealer, and get the forms to fill.

coffeeking
    Free Member

you only need to prove it if they dispute your claim on the basis they didn’t know about it and hadn’t done something about it in a ‘reasonable time’.

Which is every time in my experience.

Yup, white lines around it suggest you’ll get full payment without question.

Marge
    Free Member

It is not hard to damage tyres / rims but how big a hole is it to cause (I expect) the sump to make ground contact?

Get some photo’s of it ASAP.

I have read some time ago that local councils do budget for this kind of occurrence as it cheaper than having a reactionary repair team. That’s ok financially but doesn’t help when the poor fecker that hit the hole is riding a motorbike…

brant
    Free Member

Ripped the sump off the wifes Alfa at a cost of circa £400.

Inspite of good photos/local testimonies, didn’t get anywhere.

My time is precious – I perhaps could have pursued it harder, but seemed to be all sewn up.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Actually I recently hit a ****-off huge pothole that was like driving up a kerb, now I have wheel bearing damage. Try proving that to the council 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes – as above, take pictures (with proof of size of hole ie take a ruler with you) and then send a nice letter with pictures and evidence of repair costs (with an engineer’s report confirming how the damage was done) and you might get paid out. Ihad similar – bent an alooy, damaged a tyre and threw out the tracking – I was paid in full by Leeds Council.

waihiboy
    Free Member

if you go onto the golfgti forum and search there is a guy that mashed up a brand new R32 Golf, he sued the local council and get a full pay out.

as mr fanylion said, this guys took photos, measurements etc

so it can be done

Gary_M
    Free Member

I hit a large pothole on a narrow 2 lane road a few years ago, car beside me so no way to avoid. Ended up with a big bulge on the sidewall of the front tyre. Called the council (Glasgow) and the guy was very helpful. E-mailed me claim form and told me to take lots of pics. Council settled very quickly for new tyre, fitting and tracking.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Cheers everybody, I’m mildly hopefull being a glass half full kind of guy!

Brant – Guess what – It’s an Alfa!!!

I’ll check the wheel to then, it’s an 18″ alloy, so dont want to miss any problems with that as it sounds fairly common!

I’ve reported to the Highways Agency, raised one report for the pothole and one for the oli slick outside my house 🙄 Can’t be done under the same incident!

I’ll be photographing this afternoon while trying not to make matters worse by getting run over!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

You reported the oil slick outside your house? Most people would just clean it up?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i did the same, told council who were ace. Then the bastards filled it in and said they “knew” about it!!

Flaperon

Lane near us about a mile long. It’s dodgy at the best of times. I came home last week to find a sign warning of a pothole at each end but no indication where the pothole is.

Turned out to be under a puddle. Nearly lost the car down it but instead rewarded with a scraping noise from something that sounded both important and expensive.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Thanks speedy_b329

I must remember to read thread titles properly

coffeeking
    Free Member

Here’s the sod that got my front left wheel the other day, photo taken today, I find out the hole has been reported twice already….

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Pot hole damage! 4 wheel content – advice?’ is closed to new replies.