Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Posts without punctuation – a discussion
  • likeabiker
    Free Member

Opinions on posts that are difficult to understand because of poor punctuation…

allthepies
    Free Member

Is that a question ?

😉

rOcKeTdOg

L.I.T.S.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jon1973
    Free Member

Is that a question ?

It has two unnecessary full stops whatever it is.

Cougar

On the same subject, can I add that “lol” is not punctuation lol

doof_doof
    Free Member

No worse than people who refer to a fork or bar as a pair/set.

fadda

I always quite like those three full stops (periods – discuss…) They invite reply or further discussion, in my opinion…

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t use punctuation as it was taught in school.. but then I read a lot of books.. and there are a fair few that use more appropriate punctuation these days.. (and historically)..

So.. out of familiarity I have forgone the schoolboy punctuation formalities.. reasoning that it was only schoolteachers that were stupid enough to require it..

badly used punctuation is another kettle of fish..

wwaswas

where’s the mbukeriser when you need it?

Oim alvayz quiete pleezed if i can jsut gte the spillign right in mi psots tbh.

GrahamS

Ellipses dear boy.

And they should not be three full stops like this… They should be a single character like this…

antigee

Opinions on posts that are difficult to understand

suspect that punctuation has very little to do with that

IanMunro
    Free Member

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

i love em theyre my favourite kind of post they really help determine the level of intellect or possibly age of any given poster a well timed ( without its partner an occasional lol it all just helps to convey personality what i think is interesting is that it seems regardless of level of education the younger someone is the less likely theyre to use punctuation so i ask myself is this the curse of the mobile phone generation or am i just looking back through rose tinted spectacles at the golden age of look and read and the loveable orange type writer wordy

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I’m a fan of ellipses. The can add gravity to a sentence – a pause, time to reflect on the noteworthiness of the previous statement.

Not every sentence requires that gravitas *cough* Ton *cough* 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Thats because its a PITA with i phones.

mattbee

Surely you have an ‘App’ for that?

GrahamS

Thats because its a PITA with i phones.

No it’s not. The iPhone will auto-correct “Thats” to “That’s”, “its” to “it’s” and “iphones” to “iPhones”.

The only PITA is when it’s dictionary auto-corrects the possessive “its”. 🙂

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

the younger someone is the less likely theyre to use punctuation

I’ve pondered on this, particularly in relation to how more and more children are reported to pass their GCSE exams every year.

RealMan
    Free Member

Ellipses work quite well on the internet I think, except when they’re overused, especially by people who replace full stops, commas, and every other bit of punctuation with them. Then it just looks a bit dumb.

Lots of people need to know when to press the enter key as well, I don’t have the attention span to read a massive chunk of text… 😀

scaredypants

proportion of posts on stw that are genuinely incomprehensible (MDatz aside 😉 ) is virtually nil, and would not be reduced by better punctuation – it’s the content that’s at fault IMO

proportion of threads that would benefit from a lack of gramma/spellen commentary is approx 50%

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Posts without punctuation – a discussion’ is closed to new replies.