• This topic has 29 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • posting bars – how much !
  • iainc

Wife went to PO this morning to post some bars I am selling – they are wrapped as a tube which is 80 cm long, about 10cm dia. £11 🙁 seems a lot ?

jam-bo

try collect plus or my hermes

iainc

^^^ I think she has sent them anyway….. 🙁

Northwind

£2.78 with myhermes, or IIRC £3.78 with a bit more insurance.

It ought to be a royal mail medium parcel with those dimensions I reckon so maybe it’s weight or insurance that’s pushing it up?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

it’s over the max size for a medium parcel – 60cm.
    https://business.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/89/~/size-and-weight-formats-for-uk-mail

It’s really hard to ship ‘oversize’ stuff at a decent price without a contract.

Northwind

simons_nicolai-uk – Member

Nah, tubes have different rules.
    “Length + twice the diameter must be 104cm or less. No one dimension can exceed 90cm.”

thenorthwind

I tried to post something recently and the helpful 😡 woman at the PO reckoned it didn’t quite fit in whatever parcel category I wanted (I’d measured it, it did) so it’d need to go Parcelforce, £16. I said no thanks, took it bag to the office, repacked it slightly smaller, took it back to the PO, posted it second class £2.80 😯

nickjb
    Free Member

Can work out expensive just going to the PO without knowing the rules as the staff often don’t know either.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

it is £11 at postoffice, I had the same experience sadly, think I just paid for them on Parcelforce 24 as it was just as cheap

kcal

Bars I think went Hermes – just under size.
    £11 sounds plausible – especially if quite wide bars..

nickjb
    Free Member

From the PO website: For tube-shaped items, the length of the item plus twice the diameter must not exceed 104cm, with the greatest dimension being no more than 90cm.. You should be able to send it as a medium parcel

lee170
    Free Member

I posted some a few months ago through my Hermes, it was around £3-4
    PO also quoted me £11 which is daylight robbery

BigJohn

If you have a big cardboard square box 600*600*600 then the 800 bars will fit in diagonally and youll get the lower rate.

chakaping
    Free Member

MyHermes by far the cheapest, under £3.

Collect+ about £2 more and technically don’t accept parcels that wide, but I’ve never had problems.

oxym0r0n

I have used My Hermes in the past as they don’t have a silly length limit like RM

mark90
    Free Member

“Length + twice the diameter must be 104cm or less. No one dimension can exceed 90cm.”

At the current rate for bar growth by 2018 won’t be able to post ‘enduro’ bars 🙂

iainc

retrieved 🙂 The Boss hadn’t gone back to PO, so myHermes done, at £3, cheers all

chakaping
    Free Member

Post Office knocked me back for am 800mm bar at the poster rate last week, hence discovering MyHermes were much more reasonable.

Daffy

Most Post Offices don’t understand the Tube = Medium Parcel rule, so will charge for Large Parcel or Parcel Force.

Royal Mail Price Finder shows that it would cost £4.89 via Second Class which is equivalent to Hermes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hermes is £2.70 though.

Daffy

chakaping – Member
    Hermes is £2.70 though.

Yeah, but it’s Hermes. It could arrive at ANY time and by ANY method short of an orbital catapult.

P-Jay
    Free Member

simons_nicolai-uk – Member

https://business.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/89/~/size-and-weight-formats-for-uk-mail

It’s really hard to ship ‘oversize’ stuff at a decent price without a contract.

Tell me about it, sold a FS frame to a guy in Russia (that was a mistake) anyway, lovely guy, but our usual courier shagged me over, estimated £30, actually wanted £120 when I sent it.

Took it to the PO, the guy got the book out and worked out the cheapest way would be £60… so I sent it, only after he’d taken the money he said “it’s a shame you couldn’t split it in two, it would have been less than £20.. but you can’t split a bike frame ha ha ha”.

Which, of course I could have, quiet easily…

curvature
    Free Member

Post office counter staff are evil! Full stop.

Worse than doctor’s receptionists.

I tried to post some Alton Towers tickets once and as usual they asked what is in the envelope/package as I was sending it by recorded mail, they then asked a value and said I needed to ensure them which I declined as the person I was sending them to didn’t want them insured.

I was then told that I could not post them unless I paid for the insurance!

Northwind

Daffy – Member

Yeah, but it’s Hermes. It could arrive at ANY time and by ANY method short of an orbital catapult.

I’m at about 1000 parcels now I think, they’ve broken 1 (which was a bad ‘un, the courier threw it over a fence) and lost I think 3. But their compensation process is quick and painless which balances that out. TBH I’d rather deal with them than royal mail, now.

MoreCashThanDash

*cough*

Email me iainc.

😳

preciousmetals
    Free Member

I swear the fatest women on earth behind my local PO and convenience shop looks at an item I have to send i.e. Bars and goes errrrm yep let me think about that a moment, that’ll be £13 to send those cheapest service.

A flat 630mm bar which what takes up all of the posties door space in his vauxhall corsa or whstever cack they turn up in.
    Royal Mail are beyond a joke for a long time now.

But going to PO other day to send some five tens off to a forum member I was expecting from said fattest woman on earth that’ll be £9 cheapest service or so but noooooooo!

£2.85!! So I ran with that and got the hell out of there before she realised I had took her good n proper.

thomthumb
    Free Member

when i sold some bars on STW maybe 10 years ago it was fine (600mm)
    Last bars i sent i had to repack to get under some PO limit (750mm)
    Probably will just stockpile current fashion of 800 mm bars.

There is also (according to the grumpy hag in the PO) a different limit at main POs.

I wish the PO would sort it’s self out as i can see that the crazy pricing, and inability to compete with hermes etc, is going to ruin it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Either I have the same local post office as you or they deliberately recruit unhelpful, obstructive and passive aggressive counter staff.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Weirdly I was in a post office a couple of days ago and the really fat woman behind the counter was wearing five tens…

andyl
    Free Member

How did you get to see the feet of the woman behind the PO counter? 😕

oh and yes, Hermes for most things tbh. Been doing a lot of selling lately and used hermes a lot.

Under 1″ thick and less that £20: Royal Mail large letter
    Over 1″ thick and value £30-50 and small enough for a small parcel: RM small parcels signed for
    Outside of RM small parcels and up to £25: Hermes
    Anything else look at Hermes insurance etc on top of the normal service.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘posting bars – how much !’ is closed to new replies.