Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Posting a frame to Canada,who to use
  • bikerevivesheffield

Any ideas, worth £900. His do I go about posting this?

b230ftw
    Free Member

That’s going to cost a LOT of money. The trick will be to get the box as small as you can without sacrificing protection. If you have to buy pipe lagging, or thin wood to help protect it to get it in a smaller box it’ll be cost effective.
    A few years ago I was quite active on Retrobike and things used to be bought and sold with the USA often, then one year all the prices went up massively for over the Atlantic posting and it dried up quite a lot.
    I’ll have a look around but I’d be chuffed if it was less than £100 fully insured.

Try here: https://www.parcel2go.com/parcel-delivery/usa?gclid=CjwKCAiAu8SABhAxEiwAsodSZPnmtQBB9NPKIL5PqOXv_vP8rq24nXYu8r_XKEmWQM1DAR7Zv1IAFRoCJEMQAvD_BwE

I’m struggling to get a frame size package sent for less than £200 with insurance just trying some example sizes in their quoting service.

However you send it it’s going to have to be bombproof packaging. Don’t just use the plastic bits a frame comes with, use an old QR hub axle bolted into the dropouts to stop them being squished. Rigid protection (wood/plastic) around all the tubes going round softer protection as well, then packed tightly with cardboard as well. Plenty of protection for puncturing, squashing, throwing, bouncing etc. Basically make it so you can ride over it with a motorbike and it survive. It WILL get thrown and squashed especially as it’ll be relatively light.

And for pity’s sake don’t put fragile stickers on it.

bikerevivesheffield

I reckon about £150

dovebiker

See if you can get the right type of shipping box from a bike shop with all the interior packing, spacers etc. to keep it well protected. The shipping price depends on volume / size of box as air freight is based on volumetric shipping. Once you have the size and weight of the box, you can compare prices online – you can often get a better DHL price by using another company – they buy freight space / consolidate shipments.

b230ftw
    Free Member

See if you can get the right type of shipping box from a bike shop with all the interior packing, spacers etc. to keep it well protected.

I wouldn’t send a £900 frame with just the standard bits you find in a frame box. Lots of experience doing this!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Posting a frame to Canada,who to use’ is closed to new replies.