• This topic has 67 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by jonba.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Post your “500 watts for 5 minute” times here…!
  • DrP

OK, so the ‘main’ thread is here….

But as a few people are giving it a go seeing how long they can hold 500W for (with teh aim being 5 minutes) I thought we could have a thread here purely for that effort..

I’ll have a go at making a custome workout, with warm up etc… and see if i can save it here for us all to use. I can’t find a way of having it set a fixed wattage though???!

This may work..??? it’s a 5 minute free ride section..!
    https://zwofactory.com/?a=&n=New-Workout-2021-2-24-8-39-22&d=&t=&w=r0F014232Is08C1T2Ii300U03C2I1E2S2Df08C!*r0DC230P

“If you have downloaded a new workout file and want to use it in Zwift, simply save it to Documents/Zwift/Workouts/YourZwiftID (where “YourZwiftID” is your Zwift ID number), then start up Zwift. Your workout will appear under the “Custom Workouts” category in the workouts list.”

So..post how long you can hold 500W below, along with your weight and FTP!

DrP

skellnonch
    Free Member

zwift custom workout for those that have it, or just post a 5 minute section from strava, but then youre going to get into trainer difficulty wheel on, DD, crank, hub based meh..

stumpy01

I’m up for this. I am estimating 10 seconds.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    r8jimbob88
    Free Member

There’s no standard across powermeter manufacturers when it comes to accuracy so it’s all a bit pointless for comparison purposes. Two different manufacturers can claim +/- 1% and still give very different readings.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I expect to be challenging the lower half of the virtual willy waiving, but just for clarity, are we talking best effort in the last say six weeks (like you would use for a “valid” FTP estimate) or best historical data etc?

Edit: Oh we’re using that custom workout? In that case I’m out, I’m full of lurgy and off work. 😆 🙁

DrP

I reckon start afresh using the workout above, or if you don’t have Zwift, then whatever data you have…?

ideally it wouldn’t be a freeride section, but a fixed ‘target’ of 500watts… not sure HOW to do that, to be honest..it all seems to be FTP based.

DrP

beej

My best ever 1 minute power was 494w, so… Not long? I am 67kg though.

DrP

There’s no standard across powermeter manufacturers when it comes to accuracy so it’s all a bit pointless for comparison purposes. Two different manufacturers can claim +/- 1% and still give very different readings.

Dude… this is ALL pointless! But..it’s a bit of fun, no one’s life is on the line, and i’m sure some people will play!

DrP

theotherjonv

no one’s life is on the line

I don’t have a powermeter or a turbo, I do have a bad knee, and so I’m out anyway….but I have to disagree with that statement. If I tried to hold 500W for any period of time I think my life would very much be on the line. As would a paramedic, shortly after – ‘Hello, I think my husband’s having a heart attack’

BenjiM

67kg @ 320w FTP – 500w for 47 secs real world. Will try on Zwift 😉

Just seen DrP’s link above, will give it a go 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

This training “season”, wait for it, wait for it ….

18 seconds.

FTP of 272W, weight is 86kg.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Interesting – might have a crack at this before too long..

slowoldman

I’m up for this. I am estimating 10 seconds.

Well I reckon you’ll have the beating of me.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I’m cheating and going on Strava Stats from last year:

3:04 with FTP of 370 and 82kg in Aug 2020. Now 80kg with FTP of 380 so reckon that time is still ‘doable’ 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

What about skinny riders… wouldn’t power to weight be fairer?

nixie

My all time effort is 1:45 @ 77kg. That was a year ago. I might have a go at the workout at some point however doubt I’d be near that time now.

jimdubleyou

Just looking on Zwift Power*

I have a couple of 15s effort above 500W, and one 30s effort. I reckon I could get a minute out of it. Maybe.

*(I’m not playing at the moment whilst my body deals with some lurgy)

DrP

What about skinny riders… wouldn’t power to weight be fairer?

Nah… Let’s remove all variables… and just aim for 500w!!!

DrP (a skinny rider, BTW… 69kg, FTP 301)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

ideally it wouldn’t be a freeride section, but a fixed ‘target’ of 500watts… not sure HOW to do that, to be honest..it all seems to be FTP based.

You can’t share it based on power but you can toggle ftp or watts when you create in zwift. It will then scale with ftp regardless though.

w00dster

Using my mid race Zwift times, 1 minute best is 491 watts. Picture posted in the other thread. (69kgs and FTP of 285)
    Last night, entirely coincidental, my training ride included 5 flat out for 30 seconds intervals. Intervals.icu has rounded this to 30 seconds @ 506 watts, 32 seconds at 480 watts, 29 seconds @ 480 watts, 32 seconds @ 507 and 500 watts for 28 seconds.
    Between each effort there was a sliding recovery, from 3 minutes to 1 min 30.
    The intervals started after 1 hour of Z2 average of 162 watts.

curto80
    Free Member

Well up for this. According to that chart on the other thread, at 72kg I will be a bona fide world class pro when I sail through it no probs. I once cycled up Butser Hill without stopping half way for a cake so I know I’m there or thereabouts. Should be a spot for me on the (admittedly large) STW Grand Tour squad.

mrchrispy

according to Zwift my best 1 minute power is 385w….i may not play this game 🙂

DrP

You can’t share it based on power but you can toggle ftp or watts when you create in zwift. It will then scale with ftp regardless though.

Ah..OK..what i’ll do it make a new workout, but with a 170% FTP section lasting 5 min… in teh lead up to this, you can toggle the %age UP, so that it equals 500 watts…

Here you go!!

DrP

EDIT – do you like the fact that i’ve included a warm down in the workout… Like you’ll be going “ooh, that’s the hard bit done, let’s warm down….”

james-rennie

ooh, I’ll have a go at this later! I think I can ignore zwift and just set the wahoo kickr at 500 (after a little warmup).
    Realistically I doubt I’ll manage 60 seconds.

dannybgoode

There’s no standard across powermeter manufacturers when it comes to accuracy so it’s all a bit pointless for comparison purposes.

If you look at DC Rainmaker’s site, when he tests a power meter he usually compares it to at least 2 others as part of the testing and they all largely give very similar numbers. Cycling power meter development is very mature now and they all are within a few watts of each other. Even the Kurt Kinetic Power Pod which estimates power gives a remarkably similar reading to a true power meter.

They are also very easy to test at development stage hugely accurately using known loads etc

Power meter readings are also considered good enough by Zwift and even the Pro teams (using different power meters) to compare riders against each other and this would not be the case if readings varied wildly.

This gives a good low down – as Ray says, a power meter is either accurate or not and this can be lab tested:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/12/how-to-troubleshooting-power-meter-and-trainer-accuracy-issues.html

Running power meters – now that is a completely different story…

richardk
    Free Member

507W for 1 minute according to Garmin Connect power curve (Stages 1 sided PM)

351W for 5 minutes

Not on Zwift, these are from an outdoor ride

mrchrispy

strava power curve has me at 500w 22 seconds 😀
    I’m certainly more of a diesel engine

tpbiker
    Free Member

I don’t think I can actually produce 500 watts so I’m out..

kentishman
    Free Member

I will give it a go tonight. But at 60kg that is over 8W/kg. Not been on zwift long so be interesting to see if I can get to 500. There is no chance I will stay there for very long though.

Haze

64Kg +/- a bit depending

1:48 according to TP…indoors…actually 497w as it’s the closest I could get the cursor. And about 1:30 is the best I can find outdoors, albeit 4 and a half years ago!

5 mins is dreamland…

anagallis_arvensis

Just watching UAE tour Scottish commentator said Chris Hoys sprint reached 2500w, which will give us all something to aim at!!

mrhoppy

Zwiftpower power curve says 40-45 seconds.

95kg 275W FTP.

tall_martin

I have a road bike, a flat road, Strava, and a heart rate monitor.

I’m 93kg, my bike is 12kg.

What speed would I have to hold to hit 500w?

tomlevell

Both PM and Turbo read nearenough the same from dual recording.

Outside was last year 500w for 1min35 that was for an all out 1m15 and includes a bit of the speed build up prior to the segment. Turned around roled home curled up into a ball.

Inside was this year 1min11 on a 30 second sprint segment up the Aqueduct.

Been close to 400w for 4min30 but that was the end of the hill climb then the chart falls 40w to 5 minutes.
    That still puts me 1min25 behind Andrew Feather’s time from last year :0/

I have no desire to try again anytime soon or set the turbo to hit 500w for as long as possible thankyouverymuch.

easily
    Free Member

*I’m up for this. I am estimating 10 seconds*

Like the old joke: My personal best for the 100 metres? About 80 metres.

djflexure

Great idea – will give it a go – may have to wait until after tomorrow nights Zwift TTT as looks like a hard course and I’ll need all my strength for that. Training peaks suggests that I might currently do 2 min 30 @ 500 W. hopefully I can back that up 🤞.

I’ll see if I can coax my son to do it too. I noticed @tpbiker described him as ‘untrained’ in the other thread. I just stated that he didn’t cycle seriously – not the same thing at all.

djflexure

Not exactly what was asked for I know; but I thought a few numbers might jazz up the thread and help spur a few on.

Power curve for last 6 weeks – combination of Kickr and Powertap hub

and last ramp test – final 2 minutes at/ above 500W, then I broke

https://godjf-blog.tumblr.com/post/644009158204604416

molgrips
    Free Member

I might try this. I’ll warm up and try to keep 500W for as long as I can. I’ll end up with 485W for 90 seconds or whatever it ends up being, but it’ll be a good way to monitor progress if I do it every week. I think doing two of these with a decent rest would actually not be a bad short sharp workout.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’ll see if I can coax my son to do it too. I noticed @tpbiker described him as ‘untrained’ in the other thread. I just stated that he didn’t cycle seriously – not the same thing at all.

Well clearly if he is training in other sports to a decent level then that would be a massive factor if he can do it or not. You didn’t really indicate that though, merely saying he cycles for transport

Likewise if he’s a 100kg rugby player then it’s not that Impressive a feat. If he’s only 75kg however (like the lad who has been cycling for 6 weeks on other thread) then I’d be hugely impressed if he can do it as ‘easily’ as you suggest he will, even if he is trained.

Obviously some folks will able to hit those numbers without being serious cyclists or athletes, but let’s not pretend that’s the ‘norm’ just because folks are young. And given this is the internet please excuse me if I am sceptical of such bold claims without evidence to back them up (which this test will provide!)

All I know is I won’t be attempting this challenge..

james-rennie

I’m really sweating a lot now (76kg, 220 FTP).

12 minutes random warm up, then 500w GO! …and I managed a measly 20 seconds.
    That cant be right, I thought to myself, so I pedalled easy for 10 minutes before 2nd attempt.
    20 lousy seconds again, with bonus calf cramp.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Post your “500 watts for 5 minute” times here…!’ is closed to new replies.