Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Post-rock fans UNITE
  • stevious

Mogwai have a new album out this week, and it’s a close run battle for the number 1 album slot:

If you’re a fan and you haven’t already bought/streamed it then I think today is the last day you can do so for it to count.

Do it! Help make something cool happen!

johnners
    Free Member

I would but tbh the new album hasn’t really clicked with me yet, it’s sounding nice enough but a bit “Mogwai by numbers”. It’s featuring on Tim’s Twitter Listening Party tonight at 9 though so I’ll be cranking it up on the headphones for a proper listen.

zilog6128

Didn’t even realise album charts were still a thing tbh! Must represent the listening habits of only a tiny percentage of the population now… old people who haven’t discovered streaming and youngsters who’ve rediscovered vinyl I guess 🤣 Wonder how few units you have to shift to get the no1 spot these days?

DezB
    Free Member

It’s a goodun.

Here, I didn’t know til today that the soundtrack to that Binners’ recommended “Calm With Horses” Netflix fillum was by Blanck Mass. Gonna have to check that’un in a post-rock typa vein though genres schmenres if you ask me. Must’ve been a good soundtrack cos like all the best ones, I didn’t notice it!

DezB
    Free Member

Also, to get Mogwai to the Pop Picking Top a The Charts Number 1 Spot do you have to buy the album from a chart returns shop? Or is it dun different these days?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Didn’t even realise album charts were still a thing tbh! Must represent the listening habits of only a tiny percentage of the population now… old people who haven’t discovered streaming and youngsters who’ve rediscovered vinyl I guess 🤣 Wonder how few units you have to shift to get the no1 spot these days?

its sad isnt it….. my teenage daughters have no concept of listening to a collection of songs from the same artist

johnners
    Free Member

old people who haven’t discovered streaming and youngsters who’ve rediscovered vinyl I guess

Streaming contributes to its placing on the chart.

kelvin

Or is it dun different these days?

I asked Mr Braithwaite on twitter, and he said it’s all outlets now, apparently.

I bought the CD from bleep.com in the end… because they offer an instant download of the mp3 as well… like Amazon, but not Amazon. Also pre-ordered the next Blanck Mass while I was there.

DezB
    Free Member

I discovered this amazing album today. Holy moly it’s got some weirdness in it… but I think it’s relevant to this thread.. I mean, where else? (I won’t be paying £47.50 for a cassette though! 😀 )
    https://algierstheband.bandcamp.com/album/mondo-decay

(Oh sorry, missed this “dubbed out noise, doom-jazz, rap, and post-industrial-stained death disco.” of course! 😆 )

johnners
    Free Member

Holy moly it’s got some weirdness in it

Opened the link, saw the words “featuring Mark Stewart”, thought yup…

Sounds like someone’s been listening to old Maffia stuff to me.

DezB
    Free Member

Bit more polished n heavy though, I’d say.
    I don’t think I’ve heard Algiers before. I recognise the name, gonna have to check them out.

Erm, maybe not. Rawk vocals not really doing it for me. Shame, music’s good.

footflaps

Wonder how few units you have to shift to get the no1 spot these days?

half a dozen 😉

Northwind

As much as I love Mogwai there’s not many of their albums that I actually like, tehy’re more a Deftones “couple of brilliant tracks on every album that make up a properly deadly setlist” for me. But I’ll buy it anyway.

This kind of blew me away… First time I saw Mogwai was in 1997, I was working in the Edinburgh festival and they played my venue (support from Uresai Yatsura, who I loved). I skived off for a bit to watch the bands and, well, hated Mogwai. Absolutely hated them, just thought it was pointless noise. Took over a decade to give them another try (though, I must have come close during the Blur: Are Shite thing)

But, just by sheer mad luck, tripped across this a while back, a bootleg of that 1997 gig. And it’s alright! All the basic ingredients are there, though I was right about the vocals, bloody dreadful.

“This next song’s going to be on our debut album”

codybrennan
    Free Member

I am very much enjoying the new album. I’m sort-of in the default category for being a Mogwai fan though.

stevious

The new album does sound exactly as you’d expect a Mogwai album to sound, and I can’t put my finger on why I’m enjoying it so much more than their last couple.

@Northwind
    – I saw them play around that time as well and it pretty much rewired my 17 year-old brain. And did no small amount of damage to my hearing.

I like it so far. Only about halfway through.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I meant to remind you that it was on Tims Listening Party tonight on Twitter. But forgot.

kelvin

One more stream before midnight folks.

kelvin

Oh, ‘Midnight Flit’ is very un-Mogwai, but I love it.

Northwind

This plotline is very unconvincing tbh

kelvin

stevious

Yes!

EDIT: too slow

Oh, ‘Midnight Flit’ is very un-Mogwai, but I love it.

+1

DezB
    Free Member

re: Blanck Mass – In Ferneaux a bit disappointing. Too much noise, not enough tune.

kelvin

Oh well.. I’ve ordered it now… and I don’t mind it when he goes full wall of sound anyway.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Post-rock fans UNITE’ is closed to new replies.