Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Post excercise food – I cant seem to keep anything down after the gym
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

ignore barnes, he's clearing doing a TJ

I know what he's doing

you can do 2 things, answer the question asked, or address the actual problem. I'm attempting the latter.

TLH brought up the matter of stress which is far worse for you than overweight, and is a better explanation of the vomitting, which struck me as odd in the first place.

Flaperon

I didnt. I was asking what kind of foods people managed to eat before/after exercise.

And everyone told you that they can eat anything they like after exercising, which is why me and a few others suggested you get a proper medical opinion.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and it goes without saying that no foodstuff will address stress…

hilldodger
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member
    I always feel deeply chilled afterwards…

simonfbarnes – Member
    …. Exercise is well boring.

So what is it then, chilled or bored 😉

I suspect you do not exercise even close to the levels the OP is discussing so your contributions are pretty irrelevant….

and it goes without saying that no foodstuff will address stress.

Yes it can, dietary modification can be a key part of stress management, both of psychological and physiological origin….

you can do 2 things, answer the question asked, or address the actual problem just post rubbish for the sake of it. I'm attempting the latter.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

So what is it then, chilled or bored

2 different things, a ride is fun, not exercise :o)

I suspect you do not exercise even close to the levels the OP is discussing so your contributions are pretty irrelevant….

too right – but I think doing it to the level where it makes you puke is self evidently inadvisable

Yes it can, dietary modification can be a key part of stress management, both of psychological and physiological origin….

haha, yes a kind of witch doctoring 🙂 You may be able to convince yourself that eating different things will affect your mental states, but really it's misdirection!

just post rubbish for the sake of it

what, and you're not ?? Stress is caused by living and working conditions, not food. How you eat is far more relevant, taking time to enjoy it and not doing it in a rush being stress relieving.

juiced
    Free Member

agree with zaskar. It always amuses me when people ( not stw but collegues etc) get angry about protein shakes. Admittetly I only use basic ones and to some extent do not trust more complex formulae ( but that's just me). I find that a protein shake post workout is important for recovery during the night and at 9pm eating some chicken or tuna does mostly not appeal.

Have you tried drinking some milk shortly after training?

zaskar
    Free Member

@Simon Barnes-it depends on the cause of the stress.

If you are a female, with heavy menstrual cycles and training hard then you could lead to aneamia causing mild to severe stress from a low heamaglobin level-if found a Gp perscribes Folate, B12 and iron support -nutritional therapy.

I feel stressed, I have a major presentation and report to do, desert made me feel better just now but the stress is still there-behold so is the work! I better get weaving…

😉

juiced
    Free Member

Now I do not understand Zaskar.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Stress is caused by living and working conditions, not food

😆

Simon, you're just showing your ignorance – dietary factors are an important part of stress management – high salt, high GI, high saturated fats, additives, acidity, allergies/sensitivities the list just goes on – best stick to whatever it is you do behind that keyboard, at least it doesn't matter when you get it wrong.

You may be able to convince yourself that eating different things will affect your mental states, but really it's misdirection

No, it's established scientific fact, just browse through PubMed for articles on food and mental state, you never know you may learn something…….

…anyway, not wanting to waste my evening debating with your pedantry so have the last word on me 😆 🙄 😆

juiced
    Free Member

i would say that 'feeling' how much protein too eat can be useful, rather than measuring it out all the time. IMHE. Although for cycling this is probably different.Mind you everyoneis different.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Simon, you're just showing your ignorance – dietary factors are an important part of stress management – high salt, high GI, high saturated fats, additives, acidity, allergies/sensitivities the list just goes on – best stick to whatever it is you do behind that keyboard, at least it doesn't matter when you get it wrong.

I think this is also part of my problem which i am trying to alter. My diet can be little short of shocking.

All i wanted was a few frindly suggestions of what people find easy to digest quickly. I was expecting things like honey or jam sandwiches. Gonna try to eat closer to finishing the exercise and see if that helps along with the rego sis

Trekster

you might also want to eat something proper @ lunchtime. Maybe try keeping a food diary just to see how good or otherwise your diet is.
    You would not advise your customers to run junk fuel in their new Mercs would you????

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Is a fryup classed as 'proper'. I have gathered that my eating habits are not right before and after. Lets see Tuesday & Thursday

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Just a quick update.

Went to circuits last night. I had a proper meal for lunch and had a bottle of rego after the circuits. By 10pm i was feeling the munchies so had a couple of Tuna Rolls.

No problems whatsoever and i had my best circuit session so far.

Oh and Rego tastes horrible 🙁 Chalky strawberry smelling water

ourmaninthenorth

dont eat untill i have got home, bathed and then settled down which can be up to 1hr after exercise. By which time its 9pm

I'm not sure that 9pm is that bad. I regularly eat at that time or later (10pm last night, after I got in from riding at 9-ish).

Is a fryup classed as 'proper'.

That better be a troll.

Oh and Rego tastes horrible Chalky strawberry smelling water

It is rather manky tasting, and expensive to boot. If you're going to be regularly consuming protein, have a look at the whey protein powder available from the likes of myprotein.co.uk. Rego tastes like Play-Doh to me.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I regularly eat at that time or later (10pm last night, after I got in from riding at 9-ish).

I suspect the creatures which evolved bad times to eat subsequently became extinct. I often eat at 1am.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I dont troll.

The fry up comment was kind of an admission to the fact i bring part of it on myself.

Going to sleep on a full tummy doesnt seem to agree with me. It may do for others but not me.

Yep, rego tasted horrible but i felt good after so i will stick with it for now

mikey74
    Free Member

My post-gym meal is a tin of tuna and a Uncle Ben's 2minute rice thing, maybe followed by some Rachel's low-fat yoghurt (Rhubarb mmmmmmmmm). That seems to do the trick for me when I get in around 8:30-9.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Thats sounds tasty Mike but not sure the rice would digest enough. We always have a few bags of that in the house so might try it on thursday

ourmaninthenorth

I suspect the creatures which evolved bad times to eat subsequently became extinct. I often eat at 1am.

Wonderful logic 😉 . SFB, you always entertain me. I wish more people were as confident in expressing their opinions. Hats off..!

ourmaninthenorth

Littlest Hobo – fried food is something I would never eat during the day if I knew I was going to be excerising (hard or otherwise) the same day. Just never sits well.

If you're trying to get into shape, and lose weight at the same time, consider seeing a nutrionist (who isn't too left field) to get some advice on good and bad things to eat. yOu probably know what they are, but sometimes it helps move the process along by seeking the opinion of a third party (even if you don't agree with/follow any or all of it).

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I am not 'that' serious about getting into shape. I want to get fit and continue to enjoy eating my food. My enjoyment of food dictates that if i have to stop enjoying food to get fit and get in shape, i dont want to anymore.

I know fried food isnt good, but then if water tasted nice they would find something about it that wasnt good for you.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Post excercise food – I cant seem to keep anything down after the gym’ is closed to new replies.