• This topic has 26 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by steveb.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Possibly the most flukiest bit of DIY I’ve ever done…
  • DrP

You may or may NOT have been aware of the saga of my house purchase… anyway..it all went ahead in the end and have been there nearly 3 weeks now..
    Obvs LOTS of jobs to do… move, build furniture etc…

OH wanted a few new plugs put into a wall that would require a bit of drilling/chasing etc.. a job i’ve never done before into masonary..

On this image you can see the location of the original plug I was going to spur off off…

I was going to simply drill through the wall (on theleft) and come out somewhere, then chase around into the socket.
    Then I wondered if i could measure out accurately, and drill accurately, and come out ‘nearish’ the socket…

Well….
    From here:

To here:

BOOM!!!

Obviously it’s what I was aiming for, but TBH I was mega surprised I actually hit the target with a 1m long masonary drill bit on a heavy SDS drill~!!!!
    I was sooo excited I rang my Dad to share!!

Anyway… I felt like a sniper with an SDS drill over the weekend!!

Here’s my final attempt as chasing out the brickwork for the new plug…not too bad for a first attempt!

DrP

fadda

I love it when stuff like this happens!

(but your last photo may not be the one you intended, there…)

Edit: that’s better!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’ll be a few days before the smell from the hidden soil pipe you’ve drilled through hits home

didnthurt

Nice bit of raggling, the drilling was obviously a fluke 😉👍

leffeboy

did you just eyeball the angle/direction or did you overthink it in some way? (which is what I would have ended up doing and taking 10 times longer)

thepurist

Well done – for your next job how about building a shoe rack that’s big enough for all your shoes 😀

PS – assume you are absolutely, positively, 100% sure that none of those wiggly wires were in the way of the drill?

finbar
    Free Member

*doffs cap*

I’d have come out at a shallow angle 5 inches before the plug and carved most of the plaster off the wall no doubt.

DrP

Well done – for your next job how about building a shoe rack that’s big enough for all your shoes 😀

That was yesterday’s Job… 3 more of those units you can see built and stacked along the wall!

did you just eyeball the angle/direction or did you overthink it in some way? (which is what I would have ended up doing and taking 10 times longer)

I used the laser level in the ‘target room’ to mark a point on the corner of the tiled room.. then brought the laser level into the tiled room… therefore I knew the laser line was on the same plane as the target plug.

Then measured the distance to teh internal corner (the wall the target plug is on) and added 15mm… Marked a point, and then drilled as level as I could!

assume you are absolutely, positively, 100% sure that none of those wiggly wires were in the way of the drill?

Yeah… they all go UP UP UP…!!!

DrP

tillydog
    Free Member

I feel torn between congratulating you on your aim on one hand, and pointing out Part P of the building regs. on the other…

Well done on hitting the mark.

and

https://flameport.com/wiring_regulations/BS7671_selected_subjects/zones_concealed_cables.cs4

(I *think* you’re OK – IANAE)

DrP

@tillydog

Yeah, I believed that as it’s level with the ‘target plug’ it’s a safe zone…

Also..is a new spur, a new circuit??
    Anyway…that plug was here when I moved in guv’nor

DrP

martinhutch

I feel torn between congratulating you on your aim on one hand, and pointing out Part P of the building regs. on the other…

Luckily we have a Dr J on the forum when the time comes for OP to self-install a woodburner.

Sandwich

BOOM would be my experience as the drill bit bridged live and neutral!

DrP

Luckily we have a Dr J on the forum when the time comes for OP to self-install a woodburner.

I self in stalled a woodburner in my old family home… so that’s a job i can tick off 😉

DrP

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I was also proud. That’s through an external cavity wall, so the floor level is off, there’s no sight line, I had to trust the wall was the same thickness there as at the other side of the house and given the access I had to lie on the floor at 90 degrees to the hole and try drill straight.

I used a battery sds. I do not trust the cables to go up or anything else.

leffeboy

I used a battery sds. I do not trust the cables to go up or anything else

Why would the battery SDS help with cables?

and nice aim 🙂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Why would the battery SDS help with cables?

It just helps with being able to use the drill with “the big switch” turned to off so at least I get to say “oh cock” when I push the inspection camera through the hole as opposed to when I wake up in hospital. 🙂

Truth be told I was more worried about the gas line which runs somewhere along that wall/under that floor.

and nice aim 🙂

You say that but I was aiming for up there↗️ 😉

Greybeard
    Free Member

I believed that as it’s level with the ‘target plug’ it’s a safe zone…

The diagram you posted next that text shows the opposite?

Also..is a new spur, a new circuit??

In my understanding, a spur is not a new circuit. Provided you comply with the rules for spurs, you don’t need to be Part P qualified to do it. A new circuit is something that requires connecting in the consumer unit.

Anyway…that plug was here when I moved in guv’nor

A stock of red & black cable is always helpful in that argument!

DrP

The diagram you posted next that text shows the opposite?

So the new hole/cable runs directly BACK from behind the NEW plug i just installed, and joins the OLD plug ‘side on’, i,.e in the pink safety zone..

DrP

Greybeard
    Free Member

the pink safety zone

Ah, I see, we’re at cross purposes on the significance of the safety zone. Yes, I agree it’s a safe place to put a new cable, but it’s not a safe place to drill holes – I thought that’s what tillydog was saying but I may be wrong. But if you knew the exact route of the existing cables then that’s OK.

tillydog
    Free Member

I thought that’s what tillydog was saying

No, I was just cringing at the *seemingly* arbitrary choice of cable route, but my concern appears to have been unfounded. 🙂

DrP

@thepurist

Here you go 😉

DrP

thepurist

@DrP – nice rack 😀

Now how about a teeny bit of conduit to tidy those wires under the bench?

DrP

Jeesh…you sound like my OH!!!

Cable management is on the ‘to do’ list (you should see the lounge!)…
    Plan is to get the virgin router and the mesh box in one of the rack units, maybe behind a false wall (with the mesh node wall mounted up high)

DrP

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Jeesh…you sound like my OH!!!

The carpet also needs to be combed in the same direction.

the-muffin-man

@DrP

You’ve even got pictures up! Ours are all still in boxes! 🙂

We’re going for the ‘live in it for six months’ approach before tackling anything. That’s my excuse anyway. 🙂

DrP

@the-muffin-man
    Yeah…
    Still got all my OH’s stuff (and her kid’s stuff) to move in this friday, so I’m wanting to minimise the impact of that move too!

It feels like i’ve spent the last 3 weeks building furniture..clearing the garden..and cleaning!!

DrP

steveb

Don’t forget the grommets in the holes on the back boxes.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.