Possibly the most boring question ever… Pilau rice seasoning

Home Forum Chat Forum Possibly the most boring question ever… Pilau rice seasoning

• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 days ago by  Cougar.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Possibly the most boring question ever… Pilau rice seasoning
  • johndoh

Before anyone starts on me, I CAN make pilau rice from scratch and often do (and I ALWAYS make curries from scratch) but sometimes when time is short I make my rice in the traditional method (small amount of of water and boil rapidly then leave to steam) with Swartz pilau rice seasoning added however I can’t seem to find it anywhere at the moment (tried Tesco, Morrison’s, Asda and Sainsbury’s). Does anyone know what has happened to it or know of any other options for quickly adding pilau seasoning to basmati rice.

Ta 🙂

Aldi microwave packet of pilau rice is about 49 pence*

*Though I’m loving the micro wholegrain rice too much at present.

johndoh

^ I do the micro rice sometimes too (normally when just reheating a previously cooked and frozen curry for a quick midweek meal).

brakes

onion, garlic, cardamon, cumin, stock?

that’s quick enough isn’t it?

I guess you could always use powdered versions of onion and garlic to make it even quicker.

Also you could knock up some pilau seasoning with the separate dried ingredients and keep it in a jar.

Premier Icon tuskaloosa
    Subscriber

chop an onion, sautee then bagar some 4 or 5 Cloves, 2 pods cardamom, Cinnamon stick along with a one or two chicken soup cubes.

Stir in your rice, add some turmeric and then add water to your rice.

If using fresh vegetables add it before the rice and fry for a minute or two.

johndoh

^^ I know how to cook it ‘properly’ as I said in my OP – thanks anyway.

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

Pilau seems to vary wildly at restaurants and takeaways. Some places it’s more about colouring (all one colour, sometimes individual colours), some are spice related.

Just get the stuff that Schwartz stick in their seasoning. It’s basically cinnamon, cardamom and turmeric. The spices can vary though for Pilau. Buy pre-ground or pre-grind yourself and stick in a jar.

Anyway if you’re doing boil then leave to steam, it’s not far off Delia’s recipe which is what I use for Pilau:

https://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/rice-and-pasta/how-to-cook-pilau-rice

Frying pan, fry onion, spices, add rice, water, boil and leave to steam basically (onion optional, spices whatever you like, turmeric for colour, or not).

Takes little more than plain boiling rice.

I can’t seem to find it anywhere at the moment (tried Tesco, Morrison’s, Asda and Sainsbury’s). Does anyone know what has happened to it

Its because of the weather in Germany

causing the the Rhine to dry up and preventing BASF from being able to ship their patent Pilau Rice Seasoning pre-cursors

The reason Globalti is always posting about the various exotic locations is because he’s and international Pilau Rice Seasoning Magnate

🙂

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

I rinse with cold water for 5mins then soak my rice in freshly boiled water for a good few hours beforehand to get rid of starch and pesticides/arsenic, when ready to cook i rinse then add a cinnamon stick, few cloves, few crushed cardamon pods and a spoonful of tumeric or a piece of saffron and pour over boiling water, bring back to boil for a few seconds then remove from hob and drain when rice still has bite to it, remove cinnamon stick/cardamon/cloves and throw in a knob of butter/chopped coriander and leave the lid on the pot for 5 mins so the rice steams in it’s own vapour and fluffs up.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

it’s not far off Delia’s recipe which is what I use for Pilau:

I’ve just had a look at that page.  Is the site written by someone on work experience?  The recipe there seems to be a method without the ingredients, and the writing is… well, check this from the parent page:

“If you want to cook perfect rice I can teach you, find out how to boil and fry rice for oriental dishes, the best type of rice to use in salads and risottos.  Now that pasta has become a British staple, make sure you buy the right kind so your lasagne, cannelloni and spaghetti dishes will always be a triumph.”

Jeez.

There is an awful lot of bad English on the internet these days. It makes me want to heave.

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

Bart Spices make it. Another one available on Amazon.

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

The recipe there seems to be a method without the ingredients

It’s fairly obvious what they are and with rice, onion and spices you don’t really need measurements.

Most recipes I barely look at the ingredients other than to get a rough idea if the main description or pictures don’t tell me what’s in it. I skim through and think, “I see what they’re doing” and then do whatever suits me rather than follow it to the letter.

That article is a different one to what I originally read. Might have been this one which is same thing with the ingredients. It’s from one of her books. Even has a video of her telling you how to cook rice 😋, though going into measuring the size of your frying pan is a bit OTT.

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/asian/indian/spiced-pilau-rice

(screw the bay leaf and salt flakes. Basic spice, onion, rice and water, boil and steam, done).

johndoh

Most recipes I barely look at the ingredients other than to get a rough idea if the main description or pictures don’t tell me what’s in it. I skim through and think, “I see what they’re doing” and then do whatever suits me rather than follow it to the letter.

I tend to be a bit like that with much of my cooking although I find it’s better to follow the recipe more closely with curries. However with baking I follow the instructions to the letter – it’s far more scientific. 🙂

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

I hope there’s a special place in hell reserved for people that leave cardamom pods in Pilau rice

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

It’s fairly obvious what they are and with rice, onion and spices you don’t really need measurements.

That wasn’t really my point, rather I was commenting on the half-assedness of the page / site generally.

though going into measuring the size of your frying pan is a bit OTT.

Looks like a sales pitch to me.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.