• This topic has 68 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by the00.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Possibly the most beautiful Sailing yacht I’ve ever seen.
  • Premier Icon johnners
    Free Member

So what’s the cut-off for the amount of money you’re allowed to have without being a parasite?

Tell you what, for the sake of (very simplistic) argument let’s consider wealth in the context of the individual global average carbon footprint required to keep our planet’s temperature increase below 2 degrees C by 2050. That’s around 2 tonnes each. If you could have, say, a modest £100 million, what are you going to do with it? A big house, a big car, manufactured goods in general, foreign travel and all that good stuff will absolutely cane your 2 tonnes allowance, and you’ve still got food and drink to buy. Aside from just piling up some art, what are you going to do with your wealth that won’t have an adverse impact on every other person on this planet?

Given that the average person’s annual carbon footprint in the UK is currently about 12 tonnes it’s going to be a real struggle for us not to be parasites of one sort or another. But to show I’m one of the good guys I’m going to state categorically that I’m forgoing a super-yacht, even one made of wood and powered by wind.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Sailing yacht

Motor yacht

Land yacht

Mega yacht.

Hold my beer…

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

If you could have, say, a modest £100 million, what are you going to do with it?

Likely buy a nice tract of land to rewild, build a passive house,  give away as much as possible to charity and die penniless, with the land left to JMT.

Premier Icon tonto

I understand hating the super rich, but that doesn’t translate to the appreciation of an object

I can’t bring myself to hate the Taj Mahal, the Trevi Fountains or Versailles because their commissioner was loaded.

Premier Icon johnners
    Free Member

Likely buy a nice tract of land to rewild, build a passive house, give away as much as possible to charity and die penniless, with the land left to JMT

Sorry to break it to you, but you really don’t sound like the kind of bloke who’s ever going to have £100 million.

And your passive house is only passive once it’s built.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

@bridges
    So; you’ll be perfectly happy on £93 a week then won’t you? Crack on.

Been there, done that (when it was only £73), couldn’t afford the t-shirt.

So yes, I can confirm it’s shit.

Premier Icon WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I was made redundant back in 2008 from a ridiculously over paid job and I remember it as £69.20 per week. I went to the Job Centre each week and showed that I had applied for approximately 40-60 jobs a week but was struggling to pay to get to interviews. It cost £130 to fill the car with petrol at the time.

They said they would pay for travel but when I submitted a request for tickets to Paris for one interview and Dubai for another they refused. I had an interview in Manchester and they suggested I take a series of bus trips from Southampton rather than a direct coach ticket as they would only fund bus tickets.

I have lived rich and poor. Neither make you happy unless you want to be happy but it is more comfortable being rich and miserable.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

When I was homeless in London, given you’ve no address you have to fill out the claim forms each and every day, wait around till mid afternoon and be handed the princely sum of £4.
    There is not a great deal you can do on 4 quid in London, even in the 80’s.
    I was once told I was getting an extra payment as there had been an underpayment. Felt quite happy about that till i saw I was getting a giro for….£0.14p
    I thought I should keep it, though I didn’t have a wall to put it on 😆 and in the end I cashed it and bought a packet of biscuits. Raspberry creams.

Premier Icon CountZero

If you’re going to try to justify a superyacht by comparing it to a mass-produced bicycle.

How about a custom made bicycle costing around £15,000 for the frame?

If the limit on personal wealth is up to me, frankly I wouldn’t get voted in. I’d want to tax anything over a million in earnings very heavily (90-95% levels) and restrict the very wealthy’s ability to both donate to political parties and probably even vote.

I think you’re probably far too young to remember the last time a government tried that jolly wheeze, everyone pissed off abroad, taking their money with them, thus losing the exchequer huge amounts of money.
    Or are you advocating taking passports away from the very rich and placing a travel ban on them, as well as taking away their democratic right to vote?
    Because you’re teetering on the edge of a very slippery and steep slope at the bottom of which resides the likes of political leaders of Venezuela, Hungary, Poland, India, and a former President of the United States.
    The politics of envy are certainly not indicative of a free society.

Premier Icon CountZero

Nothing can touch a J-Class under sail…

Premier Icon jim25
    Free Member

“If I ruled the world”

I’d have 100% inheritance tax as well

you definitely wouldn’t get voted in.

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Beautifully crafted boat, great to see such craftsmanship.

Good on the lad who has made his millions in his mid 30’s and provided lots of employment for others.

Premier Icon nickc

everyone pissed off abroad, taking their money with them, thus losing the exchequer huge amounts of money.

well, no. Not everyone, a handful of people at most, and I’d have been at Heathrow waving them off frankly and it sort of demonstrates that folk don’t get how marginal rates work. In my fantasy world, you get to keep you first million at normal rates of tax, same as now, it’s just after that the rates go bonkers. And here’s the thing; those tax rates did nothing to stop the Beatles making music (the thing they actually did, rather than make money) All their best music came after the “supertax”…

as well as taking away their democratic right to vote?

If you end up with so much money that societal changes have little to no benefit or loss to you, if you’re so insulated by money, should you be allowed to have a say in how the rest of us sort ourselves out? Maybe I’d let them voted locally, certainly I’d offer the very wealthy a choice….Voting rights or extreme wealth, but not both.

you definitely wouldn’t get voted in.

If any government is serious about redistributing wealth, then we need to talk about inheritance tax, which in reality is an unearned windfall. If we agree that VAT is regressive and effects the poor disproportionally harder, and we’re all (mostly) OK with a tax on our income, then why is hoarding unearned wealth OK?

Premier Icon bridges
    Free Member

The politics of envy are certainly not indicative of a free society.

We live in a society where people are bound by economic forces, and where the illusion of ‘democracy’ is sold to us by those who have a vested interest in maintaining a status quo of ruling elites and worker drones. A society where money talks, where wealth = power. The point nickc is making, which is being missed by some, is that we need to work against a system that allows few individuals such power over others.The likes of Bezos might enjoy incredible wealth and ‘freedom’ to do whatever they want, but that comes at a cost of exploitation of billions of others, globally. Just because you have the relative ‘power’ of being able to spend £5k on a bicycle, still doesn’t mean you have any real say in how society is being run. It’s just a little trinket to keep you satisfied and distracted.

Good on the lad who has made his millions in his mid 30’s and provided lots of employment for others.

And lo, the myth of ‘providing employment’. The same could happen, without the company owner/CEO/etc taking a massive salary for themselves. Why not distribute the profits more equally, to ensure everybody has more, rather than just an elite few? Amazon warehouse workers are on what, MW or barely above, whilst Bezos ‘earns’ millions per hour? Please explain how he’s working so much harder than everybody else?

Wealth is largely the product of luck; whatever anyone says about ‘working hard’. Nurses work **** hard, harder than almost anyone else, and they get paid shit wages. So forget that bullshit. That’s just there to make people slog their guts out, in the desperate and forlorn hope they might someday get lucky…

Premier Icon Cougar

Sailing yacht

Motor yacht

Land yacht

Mega yacht.

What makes a yacht a yacht then, as opposed to a ‘boat’?

Premier Icon nickc

I think it’s one of those “Everyone understands what it is, but no one can define it” things…

I think if the passenger bit has a lid, and it’s X* long it’s a yacht as opposed to a dingy or a boat…

*some measure that’s indistinct, movable and may or may not use some weird nautical term like a “yard-arm or fathom”

Premier Icon julians

What makes a yacht a yacht then, as opposed to a ‘boat’?

https://www.backcoveyachts.com/yacht-or-boat-w/

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

The same could happen, without the company owner/CEO/etc taking a massive salary for themselves. Why not distribute the profits more equally, to ensure everybody has more, rather than just an elite few?

Cant be bothered to figure out the amazon numbers, and there is a difference between a salary and his huge theoretical worth.

His annual salary from Amazon in 2020 was $81,840, which qualifies as a middle-income wage in his home state of California. In 2020, he took no bonuses, stocks or options, however, he earned $1,600,000 from “other types of compensation,” according to the website Salary.com

I remember from last year there was objections from the peanut gallery about the Tesco CEO getting a salary of 6.4million.

“why doesn’t he work for free” they asked, “give that money to the poor minimum wage employees”.

Distributing the £6.4million equally amoung the 423000 Tesco employees gives them a life changing 29 pence extra per week.

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

Nothing can touch a J-Class under sail…

is the correct answer except ofcourse…

Noice

Premier Icon stumpy01

Nice boats, but this seems to have moved onto a conversation of wealth.

This was a good visualisation (and quite shocking) of how rich, rich people really are:

Premier Icon IHN

If any government is serious about redistributing wealth, then we need to talk about inheritance tax, which in reality is an unearned windfall.

I agree with this. You can now pretty much inherit £1m tax-free; that is ridiculous.

Premier Icon bridges
    Free Member

Distributing the £6.4million equally amoung the 423000 Tesco employees gives them a life changing 29 pence extra per week.

What about all the other high paid Tesco execs? all the various managers etc? You don’t have to give every single other employee a share, just cut the wages of those at the top, and pay those at the ‘bottom’ a bit more. Those at the top wouldn’t suffer in any way, but those at the bottom could benefit a lot.

Cant be bothered to figure out the amazon numbers, and there is a difference between a salary and his huge theoretical worth.

He can afford yachts that cost $500million. Whilst some Amazon employees are pissing in bottles because they’re too scared of being sacked for taking a toilet break.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/amazon-protests-workers-urinate-plastic-bottles-no-toilet-breaks-milton-keynes-jeff-bezos-a9012351.html

Amazon don’t want unions representing workers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53998201

Why are you defending Bezos?

Premier Icon Dickyboy

A friend of mine worked at an amazon warehouse & found it a very dehumanising experience added to above is why amazon don’t (to my knowledge) don’t get any of my money.

Premier Icon espressoal
    Free Member

Surely if it is a beautiful thing in it’s own right then good on the guys that crafted it, saw it as a project to completion, and enjoy seeing it function, that is some journey, the owner just bought it and deserves zero credit in this story other than being able to buy something.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

Quoted 😉
    ” There is no nailed down definition of what makes a yacht a yacht, but most boaters consider a yacht to be any type of sea vessel that is used strictly for recreational or pleasure purposes like cruising, entertaining, water sports, fishing, or year-round accommodations ”

This was a good visualisation (and quite shocking) of how rich, rich people really are:

It’s incredible.
    But only set to increase though isnt it as decades roll on. Might be less than ten years before the richest are worth a trillion.
    I’m kind of with Bridges on this one.

Premier Icon TheDTs

Interview with the owner.
    Owner

Love the boat. Sounds like the owner intends to use it for what it was built for.
    These people have money, lots of money. No point getting upset when they spend it. We should encourage them to spend lots of money.

“Do you need another boat to keep in the Caribbean, sir?”

Premier Icon chestercopperpot
    Free Member

On the subject of disproportionate wealth off the back of exploitation and a tilted playing field.

99.6% have a refrigerator outrageous

Premier Icon pondo

This thread is quite revealing of character.

Premier Icon the00
    Free Member

Nowhere for a cup of tea and a book alongside the bed… That really is form over function!

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.