• This topic has 68 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by the00.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Possibly the most beautiful Sailing yacht I’ve ever seen.
  • dyna-ti

Someone was saying in the royal yacht thread about the ostentatiousness of modern superyachts, all gaudy and tasteless chrome and marble.
    This is different, completely different. so simple, so elegant. Words just cannot describe.
    It’s also built in Britain, not fabricated in a yard off in Taiwan.

peterno51

That is a very Lovely Thing.

wingnuts

The key to its real beauty was in the phrase – “For the owner to sail”

gobuchul
    Free Member

so simple,

It’s a beautiful thing but it’s not “simple”.

nickc

Sure, it’s a lot less gaudy bauble than a lot of the others you see, but really, so what? I mean, no one needs one of these ridiculous things. It’ll still end up as the plaything of some ostentatiously rich dickhead. Perhaps some spectacularly tone deaf executive will spend the next pandemic holed up in it?

Don’t understand the slavish fascination TBH, you may as well swoon over a  converted 727, or some other “**** you” to the plebs.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

nickc – Why the resentment of other peoples choice? Is this a carry over from the school playground where the dickhead kid had better trainers than you?

I have a car but I have parked next to nicer cars. That doesn’t make my car worse or the other driver a dickhead. What happens when someone with a worse car than mine parks next to me, do I suddenly change from being the virtuous poor to a dickhead?

Twodogs

Sure, it’s pretty but not sure it’s very practical. Pretty sure there’s a reason why you don’t often see semi-circular benches in a cockpit of a boat that heels over.

ayjaydoubleyou

Its a beautiful boat to be sure, has really captured the lines of a classic daysailing boat, but massively scaled up.
    But therein lies the problem, sizing up a standard bermuda rig to such a scale has certain issues that makes it in some ways just as much as an ostentatious show off as a triple deck gin palace.

I only flicked through the video with sound off, how deep is the keel? Big draft is going to struggle to run up the Thames, get int Monaco etc.

nickc

nickc – Why the resentment of other peoples choice?

I resent the existence of billionaires. Every one should frankly as they are parasites. It has nothing to do with envy, I’m completely content personally but the sort of folk who have enough money to buy one of these, is also at the same time buying all sorts of other political gifts with their money, and in any remotely sensible world; that these people should have been taxed out of existence should not be a controversial thing to say.

These folk haven’t had to “work hard” to become this wealthy (there’s a stat somewhere that says even if you earned $5000 a day since Columbus landed in the Caribbean in 1492, you’d still not be a rich as Bozos) They’ve generally not earned their wealth, so catering for the folk who between them own more than 50% of the rest of the world…shouldn’t be a thing.

ross980
    Free Member

WCA+1. Nickc always seems to comment negatively on things just because he’ll never be able to afford them. Some sort of reverse snobbery? Jealousy? Or just a massive chip on his shoulder? Who knows?
    That is a wonderful piece of craftsmanship. So what if it’s bought by some ‘dickhead’ millionaire. Its sale will pay for the 1000s of hours of skilled labour that’s gone into designing and creating it, surely that’s a positive thing?
    And being built out of wood and powered by wind, it’s about as environmentally friendly as you can get😜

johnners
    Free Member

They’ve generally not earned their wealth, so catering for the folk who between them own more than 50% of the rest of the world…shouldn’t be a thing.

If you refuse to fall in line with the unquestioning adulation of this sort of ostentatious spaffery, you sir are just a damn commie.

bigyan
    Free Member

Its very pretty, like a J class. I would imagine a bit more freeboard, but was still looking wet at some points!

Interior looks a bit to “art gallery” for me.

how deep is the keel?

Draught: 4.05m (13ft 3in)

nickc

you sir are just a damn commie.

If by commie you mean “Not a gullible suck-up impressed by a toy built of wood and stainless steel” then yes, I’m certainly that.

ayjaydoubleyou

“The depth of water (7 meters along the quays and 9 meters along the pier in front of the swimming pool) allows berthing of vessels up to 135 meters in length.”

Perfect, you can be seen watching the GrandPrix in Monaco

dyna-ti

I would like to point out to the grumpy members(ok im one sometimes 😆 ) that 99% of all marinas in the UK are chock full to the gunwales of PLEASURE CRAFT, ergo playthings, toys if you will.
    some people here ride bikes that cost many thousands of pounds, far more than other members can afford. Does that lessen or cheapen their interest and love of cycling somehow 😕

It’s a beautiful thing but it’s not “simple”.

It’s simple in its interior design. bare, minimalist if you will.

poly
    Free Member

AJW – it’s a smidge over 4m draft which isn’t going to make it trivial to take to lots of places, although at nearly 60 tonnes she’s not going to be sitting on the visitor moorings in many of the amazing places you might want to sail her.

ayjaydoubleyou

Theres some discussion forum somewhere in the third world that has just discovered that people in the west ride bicycles purely for fun, rather than necessity of transportation, and such bikes (which are wholly impractical for anything else) run from $2000 to $10000. And then someone posts a picture of a new Orange Alpine.

“Sure, it’s a lot less gaudy bauble than a lot of the others you see, but really, so what? I mean, no one needs one of these ridiculous things. It’ll still end up as the plaything of some ostentatiously rich dickhead.”

slowoldman

That is a wonderful piece of craftsmanship. So what if it’s bought by some ‘dickhead’ millionaire.

It was commissioned.

Its sale will pay for the 1000s of hours of skilled labour that’s gone into designing and creating it, surely that’s a positive thing?

This. Better than hiding your fortune in the markets.

Klunk
    Free Member

stw rules

it’s ok to flaunt your wealth as long as it’s tasteful and not gaudy
    it’s ok to be a racist as long as you’re witty and entertaining.

any more ?

martinhutch

“Not a gullible suck-up impressed by a toy built of wood and stainless steel”

How about an expensive toy made of steel or carbon fibre?

nickc

How about an expensive toy made of steel or carbon fibre?

If you’re going to try to justify a superyacht by comparing it to a mass-produced bicycle, then we’ve truly fallen though Alice’s looking glass.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

How is that falling through Alices looking glass? Just the same thing on a difference scale but not different relatively speaking? If you have more money then blowing a few hundred million on a yacht is the same as any of us blowing a few grand on a bike.

What is your real problem? Don’t you understand there is lucrative global industry worth about 24 billion dollars in these things? From the boat designers and craftsmen who build them, to the crews that crew them providing a lucrative lifetime career for hundreds of thousands of people globally?

These yachts are often businesses and leased out as the owners rarely use them…and if there is one thing millionaires hate it is wasting money. So they like to ‘sweat the asset’ and make it earn them money rather than cost them money.

Or would you rather throw a 24 billion dollar business out because you hate a handful of the millionaire buyers you despise despite not knowing them or anything about them, and throwing hundreds of thousands of people out of jobs overnight?

nickc

Just the same thing on a difference scale

This is a common misconception about the exceptionally wealthy that many fall into. That they are somehow the same but with more money than the average. They are not. They damage everything; from the environment, to democracy, to jobs, communities, and nature. Billionaires and multi-millionaires shouldn’t be allowed to exist. That they do signals that we’ve failed as a society even one as rapaciously capitalist as the one we live in. Superyachts and the businesses that surround them are just the parasitic bottom feeding that damages the rest of the world’s ability to get on do the things we should be doing.

That you’re quoting there’s a $24 billion dollar industry serving the arrogant wants of a few thousand people rather than support your argument; somewhat makes mine all the more vivid.

ayjaydoubleyou

Superyachts and the businesses that surround them are just the parasitic bottom feeding that damages the rest of the world’s ability to get on do the things we should be doing.

I do get the point about disproportionalte consumtion for the purposes of showing off, maybe those boat builders would be better off building commercial shipping vessels. But should they only be able to ship food and medicine? Or can they bring you your latest smartphone?

Where exactly is the cut off of industries that are good, and those that are bad?

nickc

Where exactly is the cut off of industries that are good, and those that are bad?

Well, for a starter for ten: You have $24 billion. Would you rather spend that money on making floating palaces for a few thousand people to try to pretend they can escape the real world…or well, just about anything else really?

Look I’ll admit; by any measure that yacht up there is empirically good looking. But superyachts represent everything about billionaires and the singular world they’re allowed to inhabit that’s ugly. Most (if not all)  superyacht purchases reflect all the worst traits of these people: Hubris, personal greed, an over-aggressive need to compete and a total contempt and disregard for the world they inhabit with the rest of us.

IHN

So what’s the cut-off for the amount of money you’re allowed to have without being a parasite?

stevedoc
    Free Member

Yes is pretty, yes it costs a lot of money, people will always hate stuff thats not theirs..

Time to move along

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oooooh, can we do expensive reliced guitars next please. 🙂

matt_outandabout

*backs quietly out of the thread*

sl2000

even if you earned $5000 a day since Columbus landed in the Caribbean in 1492, you’d still not be a rich as Bozos

Made me ponder. He’s apparently got $190 billion so you’d have needed to earn $1 million a day to match him.

nickc

So what’s the cut-off for the amount of money you’re allowed to have without being a parasite?

If the limit on personal wealth is up to me, frankly I wouldn’t get voted in. I’d want to tax anything over a million in earnings very heavily (90-95% levels) and restrict the very wealthy’s ability to both donate to political parties and probably even vote. I’d have 100% inheritance tax as well. But honestly if we’re taking “If I ruled the world” levels of imagination, then there wouldn’t be that problem to sort out in the first place. I’d make poverty impossible, and that world can’t exist while there are billionaires and their like in it.

people will always hate stuff thats not theirs..

I’d imagine this probably goes a long way to explaining why the billionaires who currently don’t have a toy-boat will at some point order one, and why the industry keeps churning out ever more grandiose ones.

matt_outandabout

He’s apparently got $190 billion so you’d have needed to earn $1 million a day to match him.

Anyone seen the job advert? I fancy applying.

matt_outandabout

If the limit on personal wealth is up to me, frankly I wouldn’t get voted in. I’d want to tax anything over a million in earnings very heavily (90-95% levels) and restrict the very wealthy’s ability to both donate to political parties and probably even vote. I’d have 100% inheritance tax as well. But honestly if we’re taking “If I ruled the world” levels of imagination, then there wouldn’t be that problem to sort out in the first place. I’d make poverty impossible, and that world can’t exist while there are billionaires and their like in it.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oh and can I point out that we’ve done this very boat in a thread earlier (or maybe even last year).

finbar
    Free Member

Interesting thread. I’ve generally thought that terrifically witty “Commie” putdowns for anyone who dares question the more extreme implications of capitalism was a uniquely American trait, reflecting the legacy of McCarthyism. But it seems its another thing we’ve imported. Goody :-/

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you’re going to try to justify a superyacht by comparing it to a mass-produced bicycle, then we’ve truly fallen though Alice’s looking glass.

Except that on a global scale you’re always going to be someone else’s richest 50/25/10/1%.

Even just taking job seekers allowance (currently £93/week) that would put you in the top 30% globally.

The living wage then puts you in the top 5%!

bridges
    Free Member

I’m with nickc on this.

Except that on a global scale you’re always going to be someone else’s richest 50/25/10/1%.

Even just taking job seekers allowance (currently £93/week) that would put you in the top 30% globally.

The living wage then puts you in the top 5%!

So; you’ll be perfectly happy on £93 a week then won’t you? Crack on.

Perhaps if some people on here had actually experience genuine poverty, such as that experienced by millions globally, where you suffer malnutrition, illness and educational deprivation, they wouldn’t be quite so quick to defend the rampant unchecked capitalism that has created billionaires with more power than actual democratically elected govenrments…

Fall in line, proles!

Cougar

I’m curious as to the term “sailing yacht.” Are there other forms of non-sailing yachts?

martinhutch

Motor yachts?

dyna-ti

Land yachts ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Possibly the most beautiful Sailing yacht I’ve ever seen.’ is closed to new replies.