• This topic has 44 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by irc.
Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Possibly Stupid Question About Single Vision Glasses.
  • prettygreenparrot

Welcome to old age.

Like you OP I had no vision problems until early 50s. Yay! No shortsightedness -> lower risk of retinal detachment.
    But reading glasses are a blessing and a pain. They make close work possible again. But they make seeing anything beyond arm’s length impossible.

The best comments have already been made. ‘Where did I leave them’.

My really nice glass prescription glasses I lost at an airport. Since then I’ve picked up various pairs of OK off the shelf ones. Since they’re like magnifying glasses I’m hesitant to buy another prescription pair. My current favourites are some Moleskine ones.

prettygreenparrot

@eddiebaby

I also have close up glasses for soldering and detail work on guitars and model planes.

what are these magical things?

My reading glasses are OK for text and stuff but trying to solder or manipulate tiny screws in technology is challenging.

longdog
    Free Member

^just get stronger reading glasses! I have some +2 ones that are great for close up stuff (£1.99!). I have +1 for reading stuff I struggle with due to size or contrast.

ads678

I’ve got Oakley* varifocals from RX, they’re great.

*Frames not lenses as Oakley don’t do my prescription, but I like the frame and they fit nice. I’ve had loads of cheap ones and Oakley ones always fit better. I do t really care if they’re all meant to be the same it’s my money so get stuffed the lot of you!!…..

😘

irc

I use bifocals. I forget I am wearing them. I tried varifocals but the only bit that was in correct focus was in the midde of the lenses. So I found when driving I had to turn my head every 5 seconds to check mirrors while with bifocals I just move my eyes.

https://www.thevillageoptician.com/blog/the-problem-with-varifocals/

Apparently the blurriness can be reduced if you pay lots. My brother has lenses that cost about £400. I’m happy with bifiocals. Cheap. And work.

Possibly best getting bifocals fitted at an opticians rather than online. The line between the top and bottom sections needs to be set correctly oryou feel as if either you need to lean back for distance viewing or consciously tilt your head forward to read.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.