Possibly daft questions about a cyclocross bike build

Home Forum Bike Forum Possibly daft questions about a cyclocross bike build

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Possibly daft questions about a cyclocross bike build
  • tpbiker

Putting together a cyclocross bike and have some daft questions!

Can I just use normal road wheels or will they break as soon as off road? I was considering using an old set of bontranger select.

Assume standard road bars are up to the job, or do I need something CX specific?

Can I use an old set of MTX cantis or v brakes or will these not work with the levers?

ta

aP

Road wheels will be fine, I’ve never had a problem in nearly 20 years of riding cx bikes, my current cx wheels are an old pair of 2006 Campag Eurus which I’ve retired from my road bike.
    My bars are standard road ones, actually they came off my road bike as well.
    Brakes – mtb v-brakes won’t work without an adapter, everything else will be fine, I use cantilevers which do the job I want them for.

orangeboy

I do use road bike brake levers with v-brakes and all with out the silly travel adaptor
    It does mean the lever feels spongy an has a lot of travel
    And the brakes can feel a little on or off bit the bike has now done 3 winters like that and I’m yet to die or crash
    If you have the bits to hand try it and see

For me canti brakes are rubbish but then I’ve just build somthing with discs on

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Possibly daft questions about a cyclocross bike build’ is closed to new replies.