• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aP.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Possibly Daft Camping Question – Electric Hook up
  • franksinatra

We are camping next week at a site that offers electric hook ups. Is this likely to be a weatherproof three pin socket? Just trying to work out if we can use a standard extension lead or do I need a outdoorsy round plug?

Ta

Rubber-Duck

You need the outdoorsy version. Readily available at places like GoD and camping shops.

Have fun weather looks great. :o)

ssboggy

You’ll need a blue ‘commando’ plug

Edit too slow 🙂

franksinatra

I have an outdoorsy lead with male and female end so will need a connection thingymajiggy then to make it usable for my stuff

MartynS

It’ll be a blue, round connecter, you won’t be able to use a domestic extension

franksinatra

So, continuing the thick questions. I plug in the blue round connector, and then in my tent I havethe other (round end) How do I charge my phone then?

chorlton
    Free Member

Something with a round connector at one end and normal 3 pin plug sockets at the other.

ssboggy

You’ll need something like this Linky
    Or make something similar. We had a steel box with a RCD and 2 sockets in it that we used to take camping

andy8442
    Free Member

Its called a 16amp C-Form adaptor. GoD will have what you need at a price. You could make your own from CEF for a fraction of the price.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I got a reel style one with two 3-pin plugs and some USB charging sockets and fully circuit breaker protected. Wasn’t too expensive – maybe £20, got it from Go Outdoors.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Chop the female round plug off and replace it with a weatherproof rcd double socket!

colster808
    Free Member

The supply your plugging into should have a RCD already to comply with regs so just chop the female blue plug off and replace it with a four way which has a 13a fuse built in.

colster808
    Free Member

Like this

colster808
    Free Member

You’ll be plugging into something like this
    http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/2b9d7849e8414cd0b29ef7508bb2597c/electric-hook-up-power-point-on-a-campsite-in-the-uk-used-by-caravans-erck8f.jpg
    The RCDs are already in line so no need to waste your money on another one.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I guess if you’ve already got an additional fuse in the extension lead you’re modifying then an additional circuit breaker is not required 😉

I think all of the shop bought leads I saw had circuit breakers, as does every Caravan and Campervan.

To be honest most of the camp site electric hook up’s i’ve used look a bit old and tired. some attached to a gnarly bit of wood, the plastic looking a bit faded and crazed, the small plastic lid covering the RCD switch cracked and flapping in the wind. I’m sure they’re required to be tested routinely by the camp site, but i’d rather have an additional level of protection that I’m personally in control of and sure of, especially when things can get wet.

db

I will say I have been on sites where they check the lead and if its the type colster808 has shown without a breaker they will not let you connect. Absolutly your choice and I’m not saying its unsafe but some sites will not allow it.

colster808
    Free Member

Argh. Could be a problem then as we’re gonna use it next week! Sure it will be alright though, never had a problem before. This particular leads done the rounds too.
    Yep there’s a fuse in the 4 way. Doing same job a miniature circuit breaker(fault current only obvs).
    My bodge doesn’t provide you with a easy accessible isolator I suppose.
    Yes your relying on someone else’s rcd which they have a duty of care to provide especially for external use. Should be earth staked as well with a further 100mm rcd down the line.(TT). Actually pretty safe. Just don’t go standing in a puddle with a hair dryer on.

colster808
    Free Member

Wobble…just re read your post. Two RCDs at 30mA are doing the same thing so no need to have two. The pillar will be 16A the fuse in the 4 way is 13A so doing different things. Hence why you need two. Fusing electrical circuits down is common practice. Sticking rcd socks on a rcd protected circuit isn’t.

colster808
    Free Member

OP, up to you. The one linked by others will do you well.

Have fun. Hope the sun shines.

shuhockey
    Free Member

On a similar theme. Off to France in a couple of weeks camping. The site mentions the electric hookup is Electrical terminals (10 amps) European plug P17. Can’t find anything about p17? What do I needed to get top get my English blue plug to fit?

RoterStern
    Free Member

All campsites in Europe use the same blue plug IME.

crewlie
    aP
    Free Member

We got caught out in Europe last year by campsites having standard Euro 2 pin plugs, so finally we were able to go to a campervan shop and buy a converter – about €5 I think. Just about managed to get out without the 5 berth van reduced to €35000 from €50000.
    One of these

Cougar

On a similar theme. Off to France in a couple of weeks camping. The site mentions the electric hookup is Electrical terminals (10 amps) European plug P17. Can’t find anything about p17? What do I needed to get top get my English blue plug to fit?

It should just work I reckon, it’s the same thing.

We got caught out in Europe last year by campsites having standard Euro 2 pin plugs

Most European sites will have the blue 16A ‘commando’ weatherproof hookups (though not all will be rated to 16A). Some may still have 2-pin plugs like that, but they’re old and dying out.

franksinatra

£50 quid from Go outdoors. £50 bloody quid. And if course no-one goes into go outdoors and buys just one item. So it actually cost me £90. Currently charging every electrical item I have with me so i feel like I am getting some benefit.

Camping at Fforest Fields in Buith Wells. Great site for family camping.

aP
    Free Member

Most European sites will have the blue 16A ‘commando’ weatherproof hookups (though not all will be rated to 16A). Some may still have 2-pin plugs like that, but they’re old and dying out.

From recent personal experience about half of the French, German and Italian campsites we’ve stayed at in the last 2 years still have 2 pin supply. For €5 it means you get power.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Possibly Daft Camping Question – Electric Hook up’ is closed to new replies.