Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Possible stupid question but… Trangia pots on a gas camping stove
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

As above.

I have a single burner gas camping stove and some trangia pots. Am I ok using them on it??

augustuswindsock

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it’s a bad idea, trangias burn at a much lower temp than gas stoves and you could melt the pans or something like that. Could be twaddle tho!

convert

As trangia do a gas conversion they obviously don’t think it’s much of an issue.

My Trangia pots went around Australia with me for 9months 20 years ago and were used every day, 99% of the time on a gas stove and are still going strong today.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    monkeychild
    Free Member

Cool. Didn’t fancy having to buy some more pots. I already get moaned at for having stuff everywhere 😀

rosscopeco
    Free Member

I’ve used the Trangia gas conversion kit for 15+ years with my Trangia pots….they’re still going strong.

Rscott
    Free Member

Some Youths in our youth group managed to melt a trangia pan on the meths burner, anything is possible but as long as you don’t let it boil dry it’ll be fine.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its fine bit of a hot spot in the middle and baltic on the edges though!

andytherocketeer

the water in the pan is a massive heat sink. can even boil a mug of water in an old paper sugar bag over flames.

trangia (or any brand) alu pans on stove (trangia or gas) with nothing in them might melt.

only ever succeeded in doing that on an old electric ring hob where we used an alu pan directly on the ring, empty and tried to make fire and smoke with various hydrocarbons.

aP
    Free Member

I once loaned a friend an aluminium Bialetti stove top for a 24 hour race and it was eventually returned with the comment that it didn’t work very well and the seals had gone. It also had melted aluminium droplets on the base, and the seal had been burnt, so I can only assume that it’d been left on a gas burner overnight and had boiled dry.
    Now I have an alessi Aldo Rossi stove pot, I think its fairly certain that it won’t be loaned out…

aracer
    Free Member

Like others above I’ve used trangia pans extensively on gas burners and never had any problems. In fact for ultralight trips (ie Polaris/KIMM type events) nowadays I use foil takeaway containers for boiling water in. I am admittedly also using a solid fuel stove rather than gas, but given how fast the boiling time is with that (it’s a bit like a rocket stove with good airflow and burns red hot) the heat output is fairly similar to gas, and I’m quite confident those containers would work to boil water on a gas stove.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Some good info 🙂 I’m only after the info as I will be cooking boil in the bag meals at the bonty this weekend.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Possible stupid question but… Trangia pots on a gas camping stove’ is closed to new replies.