Possible daft question – Singlespeed conversion?

Home Forum Bike Forum Possible daft question – Singlespeed conversion?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Possible daft question – Singlespeed conversion?
  • Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Subscriber

On my Kona Cindercone, I have vertical dropouts, does this mean I have to use some form of chain tensioner?.

I did warn you!.

Smee

Unless you can fluke a magic ratio where the chain wont slip – yes.

bassspine

yes. and don't believe anyone who mentions 'magic ratio'

Could try a half link in a chain, that can work fine.

trail_rat

MAgic ratio there – completely stumbled upon when my tensioner failed in the woods last night …. still tight – overly tight imho …. wont last long like that

hopefully will last tomorrow nights ride then i will bbe fitting a new tensioner ill buy on saturday when im back home !

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Subscriber

59 – can you expand on that?

Subscriber

Trail rat – How'd the racing go this year, was it your knee you whacked at Clova?.

trail_rat

i didnt whack it it was just **** from running ITB syndrome in left knee and Achillies tendonitus in my right leg

racing i actually did went "ok" but i didnt feel consistent at all

Basically, you need a 7/8 speed chain. Then if you look on alansbmx.com, theres a half link that fits these chains (the thinner one of the two)

A half link is basically a link with two opposite ends i.e. a male and female end so you dont have to shorten the chain by two links at once, you can just do one then use the half link.

So if your chain is either too tight or too slack, you can add a half link to get it perfect, then when your chain stretches, just remove it and bigno, perfect tensio again. ish. They usually work and are only about £2

Subscriber

Can I run that chain on my current 9 speed front chainring?.

trail_rat

no – it will be shit

the 9 speed chain ring will be ramped and cut out to aid shifting – also the ring will have shorter teeth than a singlespeed ring !

trail_rat

no – it will be shit

the 9 speed chain ring will be ramped and cut out to aid shifting – also the ring will have shorter teeth than a singlespeed ring !

Premier Icon Seamus
    Subscriber

I run a 9 speed front chainring on my singlespeed with a 7/8 speed chain, so yes it can be done. It appears to cause some people problems but I would suggest if you have one try it before buying a new one.

nobtwidler

I run a 9 speed front chainring with a conversion kit from Charlie the Bikemonger, absolutely no bother

Yeh, it worked fine for me too, 7/8 speed chain on a 32 tooth deore ring.

Give it a go

Currently running the Sram singlespeed chain which looks MINT, on a used 9 speed deore chainring, and a surly sprocket, which hasn't left a mark on my Ti freehub body thankfully!

To tension I just ran the chain through my medium cage mech and pulled it tight. You can then adjust the mech sideways by fitting a small amount of cable in the barrel adjuster. The singlespeed chain caught on the sides of the mech so i had to fit a small washer either side of the jockey wheels, which did the trick.

I've dropped the chain once in three months winter riding so I'm fairly happy with that!

qwerty

WI eccentric Eric 💡

Subscriber

Thanks folks.

My old cindercone is gonna get a new lease of life!. Used it only for commuting for 4 years now, basically zero maintenance, except the odd brake pad etc, so you can imagine the state of it.
    Ordered the ss kit from charliethebikemonger, new v brakes and cables and planning to get it ripped down and powder coated! canny wait!. the hubs need a wee bit of TLC, but I reckon this'll be my new night riding bike, as my local trails ain't too hilly, but are muddy as ****.

Just hope my old fitba knee injuries hold up to it!.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Possible daft question – Singlespeed conversion?’ is closed to new replies.