Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Possible changes to teaching GCSE PE in schools
  • Clink

Worth a read – personally I think the proposed changes are a really bad idea.

Chenges to GCSE PE

Clink

Bump for Xmas eve – worth signing the petition if you have a few spare minutes.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m completely ignorant of what PE as a qualification is in that I don’t think it existed when I went to school.
    What does the current practical element consist of?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    somouk
    Free Member

When I did GCSE PE we had to pick a number of physical activities to be assessed on and they could be different sports. We pretty much did all the sports the school had equipment for and I was lucky to also go to an outward bound centre and was allowed to use mountaineering as one of mine, that is an off chance though and not normal.

I can’t see it being a major issue changing the split by 10% and realistically GCSE PE is meant to be a bit more intensive on the theory side compared to the physical side by its very nature. It’s designed to teach you all about the human body, performance, assessment and improvement in sports and not just running round a field having fun playing some sport.

Also bare in mind the theory stuff is not always classroom based it could be taking your ten minute turn out of a game of basketball to assess someones performance etc

Stoner
    Free Member

That petition doesnt really help itself a great deal does it:

They have decided that the course will change from the current 60% practical 40% theory to 30% practical and 70% theory!

This change will almost completely take the physical/practical aspect out of Physical Education.

Well, no, it wont “almost completely” it will shift the balance of focus from one area to another but that’s all.

They are also proposing to massively narrow the activities that students can use as the practical element (moving to a much more traditional / Public school offering of activities).

What’s that supposed to mean? More Quoits, Eton Fives, and Rackets?

This will have long lasting and damaging effects on the health and fitness of future generations.

No it wont. PE GCSE isnt the same as PE in schools. One might as well campaign for more physical exercise in GCSE Chemistry if having exercise attached to a syllabus was so vital for health and fitness of students.

The changes will also take away another avenue for students who are less academic to be successful and get a qualification in an area that they may wish to follow as a career

I fail to see how the physical performance of a “less academic” student can genuinely improve their employability unless they are a pro in a competitive sport, in which case PE GCSE is going to be irrelevant to their selection.

I’m sorry I think the petition is a bit misty-eyed and ill thought out.

Clink

Currently it’s 60/40 practical/theory. Neither element is easy and even the best students find it challenging.

These 2 areas particularly concern me:

They are also proposing to massively narrow the activities that students can use as the practical element

Yet more narrowing of the curriculum offer in secondary schools. Also look for a reduction in the DT offer.

The changes will also take away another avenue for students who are less academic to be successful and get a qualification in an area that they may wish to follow as a career.

It’s part of a bigger picture of the marginalisation of non-core subjects.

Clink

I fail to see how the physical performance of a “less academic” student can genuinely improve their employability unless they are a pro in a competitive sport, in which case PE GCSE is going to be irrelevant to their selection.

Unless they want to pursue a career in sports, leisure centre management etc?

Stoner
    Free Member

They are also proposing to massively narrow the activities that students can use as the practical element

any examples?

Stoner
    Free Member

Unless they want to pursue a career in sports, leisure centre management etc?

If an applicant needed to rely on a grade based on physical performance to get a job in leisure centre management, someone, somewhere will have got something wrong.

Clink

Nope – I don’t teach PE. I’ll try and find out.

Clink

Assessment
    18. Non-exam assessment will contribute to a total of 30% of GCSE specifications, and will be split into the following:
    • 20% practical performance where students will be assessed in two different activities in the role of player/performer
    • 10% analysis/evaluation/training programme

So it looks like the proposal is to reduce the practical activities from 4 to 2.

f an applicant needed to rely on a grade based on physical performance to get a job in leisure centre management, someone, somewhere will have got something wrong.

Not purely that – but a knowledge and awareness of a range of sports would be necessary. A lot of staff start at a basic level and work they way up to management.

STATO
    Free Member

Since grading and grades has become an important part of a child’s ‘career’ why do we still grade physical activities like football or running? Surely this is just a historic tie to when grades meant you had participated?

If we think grading ability to run, kick a ball or cycle (since some schools include this now) is important, why not darts or pool, since the hand-eye coordination and tactics are just as complex on those as currently approved sports, and could be just as applicable to getting a job or place at higher education.

(For balance, I’m crap at all these, inc cycling)

anagallis_arvensis

As a teacher I’m all for less coursework. I guess PE teachers might think differently to me though. Most of them cant write proper anyway!! Its all a farce with teachers under too much pressure to make sure all kids do well in it and what do you think that leads to?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Possible changes to teaching GCSE PE in schools’ is closed to new replies.