Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Positive Ventilation for a ground floor flat – Damp mould remedy
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

I have read lots about positive ventilation on Singletrack and other forums and I am just about to fit a Nuair drymaster in our house to help sort out condensation on the windows and damp in the corners etc. I can’t find nearly as much information about the units that are designed to work if you don’t have a loft space to draw the air in from. My sister lives in a ground floor flat of a stone built house with very thick walls. They have a general damp problem with damp behind furniture and in wardrobes etc. In general areas where their is little air flow, there is also a slight damp smell to the house when it has been locked up for a while. They have had a company around that have suggested to fit a Atmos wall mounted ventilation unit with heater that will then be ducted to blow into the hall way that is the central point to the apartment, all rooms lead off it. They have also suggested fitting 3 cyclone 7 extractor fans. One in the bathroom which currently doesn’t have anything, one in the en suite that has a unit but it is badly plumbed and one in the Kitchen. The cyclone 7 is a wall mounted fan where I have always favored an inline fan for shifting more air, it runs all the time in a trickle mode and then detects humidity to run at full power when needed. the quote is just £2900 which seems pretty high to me but there are 2 thick stone walls to cut hole through

Any experience of fitting PIV to a flat greatly received and also any experience of Envirovent and there products.

They are located just south of Bristol in Cleavdon so any recommendations for other companies or people to approach greatly received.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Cutting, or coring through stone is no big job these days so there’s sod all cost there.

myti
    Free Member

Had envirovent fit a piv in a loft for £800 and then fitted a piv ourselves in a different loft for £300 both work spot on. So if you can do it yourselves then all good otherwise pay someone else a premium.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Anybody else know specifically about fitting PIV to a flat where you don’t have access to a loft space to draw the air from.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

If you’re willing to spend 2900 I’d get a heat exchanger (vent axia, blauberg, nuaire at 1000-1500 quid) ) and not just a positive pressure apparatus. Get one with a nice filter too . You can get wall mounted ones or ones that fit into the ceiling (I don’t know how that works in flats though). Also comes with G4 and sometimes f7 filters which can only be a good thing.

I’m planning to get one for our house but baulking at the installation of ducting for both floors).

You can get heat exchanger single room thingies too which cost substantially less (2-300) but will require hole in the wall too.

oreetmon
    Free Member

I bought a bungalow with cavity wall insulation which are notorious for damp problems.
    First winter and the black mould started (previous owner had removed all trace before we bought)

Fitted extractor fans to bathroom/kitchen AND trickle vents to window frames and have been problem free for 3 years.

Cost me about £150 for materials and hire of a core drill.

tjagain

Cutting, or coring through stone is no big job these days so there’s sod all cost there.

Errmmm really? I have done it a few times – £600 drill bit that wears fast and can take half a day easily to drill thru a properly thick stone wall

wrightyson
    Free Member

Errmmm really?

Erm yes really. For your cost there tj you were utterly dry bummed especially if you paid 600 nicker for a core bit I’m afraid! I can get 2 men in on a minimum visit and drill (as I did 2 weeks ago) 9×150 diameter holes through a 200mm thick reinforced soffit. All for the grand total of 350 plus vat.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Haha, TJ not knowing his arse from his elbow again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Positive Ventilation for a ground floor flat – Damp mould remedy’ is closed to new replies.