Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 177 total)
  • Posh watches ?
  • TheWrongTrousers

Got a yearning for a nice watch. Want something practical that I can wear every day so not massively chunky or blingy, something like a Tag or Breitling. Metal bracelet strap, maybe titanium, preferably automatic rather than quartz.
    Any thoughts on these brands ? any recommendations ?
    Ta in advance

bearnecessities

Aqua Terra.

yosemitepaul

I procrastinated for 5 years. Trying to decide, Rolex, Omega, Panerai and many others before finally choosing an IWC Portuguese. It took a long time but was worth it.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve worn my Omega Seamaster pretty much everyday since getting it in 2002. Lovely bit of kit.

Kryton57

Wedding present from 2006, never gone wrong, still looks good. Much cheaper in Barbados 🙂

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I have a hankering after a Bremont, usually after a bottle or two.
    Next morning I forget…

onandon
    Free Member

Why stop at one 🙂

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Very Personal View alert:

I think TAG are too common and “obvious” as a status symbol, owned by the same company who own Louis Vuitton and Moet & Chandon, worn by sales reps, propping up the bar at the golf club, saying things like “Yah. BMW M5. Cracking bit of kit.”

Breitling. Great watches with great heritage, worn by combat pilots and NASA astronauts. Personally put off by the trashy marketing. John Travolta? Really? Having said that, if I were a pilot, I’d probably get one. But I’m not, so I won’t.

Personally I wear a Raymond Weil Freelancer. RW are one of the few Swiss watchmakers left who haven’t been gobbled up by huge conglomerates, they’re a little less obvious as a brand, and I liked the design, and could afford it.

And seeing how everyone else is posting pictures of their Swiss watches:

loddrik
    Free Member

I have a hankering after a Bremont, usually after a bottle or two.
    Next morning I forget…

Completely overpriced shite from a company started by a couple of hooray Henry brothers using daddy’s money. Bremont are a pile of ****!!

My current watch…

Wally

Start saving, 2nd post Bearnecessities has it covered.
    Titanium (check) Automatic (check) Classy (IMO check) Small 37mm (check)

I wear a titanium Lorus RRP £45 that is fab and more in keeping for me.

Harris
    Free Member

Have a look through the Watchfinder site. I’m sure you’ll find something to like.
    @on and on. Is that a Deep Sea nearest your wrist?

stevedoc
    Free Member

loddrik Liquid metal planet ocean ?

onandon
    Free Member

Harris – it’s a DSSD.

loddrik
    Free Member

loddrik Liquid metal planet ocean ?

8500 Ceramic Planet Ocean XL.

Wally

[video]https://youtu.be/SQ09OPG1d7s[/video]
    I find this guy on Youtube one of the more sensible watch guys.
    I would also suggest you take a breath and think again about Tag or Breitling,
    particularly if you don’t want chunky or blingy, IMO they do exactly that in spades. Go JDM – Japanese Domestic Market for some really nice titanium with class.

lunge

I have a Tag and it’s lush, but oddly if not buy another one. I keep looking at Grand Seiko’s and Rolex’s, both damn fine for very different reasons.

Harris
    Free Member

@ on and on. nice piece

Sundayjumper

I’ve been wearing my Speedmaster every day for very nearly nine years. Not for mountain biking or mucky DIY but otherwise it’s been everywhere.

onandon
    Free Member

Cheers Harris. It’s a bit of a lump but that’s why I like it. Totally over engineered and still looks new after being worn for three years.

beej

A couple of other ideas.

I’ve got a Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Magnate GMT (just for the stupid name.

And a Bell and Ross (small one)

As my “best” watches. I wear a Tissot Racing Touch 90% of the time though.

richmars

What do you mean by ‘nice’?
    Nice doesn’t have to be expensive. Just what you like.

Wally

Tudor Pelagos are the only other Titanium, automatic beater I would suggest.

I agree with the sentiments of get something nice and you have searched for, not something you can walk off the shopping Mall and get. My dad and I wear old “Ray Mears” titanium Citizens, this makes the watch nice in my world. And yes, cheap titanium can be dire, Citzen Duratec is super hard and a good bet. However just to balance, all my triathlons and endurance events are done with…

Very thin and light, fits perfectly under a wet suit and stays put. Willy Waving a watch around is not what you are worried about when you are wobbly legged out of docks or lake.

onandon
    Free Member

Titanium is a really bad material for watches. It scratches and marks easily looking tatty really quickly.
    Even wearing one while typing on a desk will scratch the clasp.

I got rid of my pelagos after a few weeks, lots of fuss when they were released but would be vastly better in steel.

Harris
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

I wear an early 60’s seamaster manual keeps excellent time

beaker

Another Seamaster owner here. Next watch will be another Omega or a Bell and Ross.

redthunder
    Free Member

godzilla
    Free Member

Rolex Omega Tudor

CountZero

Look for a good Seiko, they make their own movements, Grand Seiko movements are chronometers in all but name, Seiko couldn’t be bothered to go through the certification process.
    Seiko ‘Tuna’ are serious ‘tool’ watches, having a shroud around the case to protect it in hostile environments.
    My own Seiko ‘SPORK’ is as good a watch as you could want, lovely clear face and reliable.
    It’s finding one that could be an issue, Seiko have a habit of only producing some models for a limited time, and they become quite collectible as a result.
    I found mine as NOS from a dealer in the Midlands for £350, they were around $650.

Seiko ‘Tuna can’

Not a ‘posh’ watch, exactly, but with a chronometer-grade movement, and 1000 metre water resistance, I’ll take one over any posh make like Rolex, Breitling, IWC that you care to name.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I have one of these – Seiko Alpinist, JDM, nicely understated and not too pricey – but auto so maybe not what you’re after.

wrecker
    Free Member

We need to have a steer on preference on style and a budget. I’m a fan of IWC.

Omega speedmaster 57 is nice too

Pelagos lovely for a bit less, but it is a diver and will be a bit chunky.

redthunder
    Free Member

Seiko with a Pepsi Bezel 😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member
    jimdubleyou

I’d quite like a Rolex Millgauss

My Tag Aquaracer is in it’s box upstairs because I can’t be arsed spending £300+ on a service/making it work properly again.

Currently wearing a Seiko Pepsi for everyday wear.

cpon
    Free Member

Completely overpriced shite from a company started by a couple of hooray Henry brothers using daddy’s money. Bremont are a pile of ****!!
    My current watch…

There’s absolutely nothing shite about anything Bremont produce. Their watches are priced similar to others with the same spec and quality. And so what about a company started by two Englishmen? Try and meet the guys, they’re as passionate about producing good quality watches as anyone on the Swatch Group board.

Back to the point, chunky and titanium piece, look at Breitling.

wrecker
    Free Member

they’re as passionate about producing good quality watches as anyone on the Swatch Group board.

Good point. Difficult to criticise some people who have started a company, and wearing the products of a faceless global mega-corps.
    I like Omega watches, they are nice but they can’t be held up as the model of watchmaking purity, certainly not since they sold out.
    A vintage ploprof? Now we’re talking.

LAT

If you’re feeling very flush, a Ressence.

If you’re feeling a more normal level of flush, Longines make some good looking watches (conquest, hydroconquest are classic looking numbers). They have a long history in watch making and the automatic versions use movements that you’d find in far more expensive brands.

Or seek out German watch makers for something a little different.

TheFlyingOx

I’d look at Sinn. They have something for most budgets and tastes. The 903s are vaguely Breitling-esque, and their Frankfurt Financial District watches are nice too.

I’m tempted by a 757 UTC for my 40th. Gives me a few years to save up…

tom200

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘Posh watches ?’ is closed to new replies.