Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Portsmouth to Bilbao fery
  • mildred

Anyone done this route?

Contemplating it with P&O to avoid the long drive through France. Is it toddler friendly? Is there entertainment? A good food choice?

Any info’ would be appreciated.

Ta

Stoner
    Free Member

Id recommend the plymouth-santander one.

The Pont-Aven vessel that Brintey Spears Ferries runs is superb. Toddler Stoner is more than happy on it. 16:30 disembark, time for a play/beer/eat, lots of kip and then just the morning to entertain Jr before berthing again. Being a french vessel the food is great too.
    http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=2681
    us in pre-Jr days.

We are on the ferry again at the beginning of May for a month away.

mildred

I looked at this one but its about 45 mins longer to get to Plymouth, and then its £100 more in total. If I thought it was gonna be loads better i don’t actually mind that, but also, £100 is a good meal out for the family.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’ve not done that route but I’d recommend Brittany Ferries.

Very comfortable cabins and as Stoner said the food is great. eg They ask you how you want your steak doing in the self-service restaurant. Not something you could see a British company doing.

marcus7
    Free Member

Did it 18 months ago, it was hell, was forced to do this due to having to work in spain for a week, If you like bingo and low end live entertainment then go for it and the food (well thats what they called it) was all a bit las vegas (all you can eat bilge). I had to travel with a work geezer that i didn’t have much in common with and our conversation dried up after the first twelve hours so that may taint my view…. Even the crew we spoke to said that “you have to put in a lot of effort to make a ship this bad”. Was glad to get off at bilbao….on a more positive note the cabin had us in stitches as to how small they were!.

mildred

Marcus7, was that with P&O or Brittany?

I’ve read a few online reviews now that P&O are crap – looks like it’ll be Brittany.

DenielHop
    Free Member

Wow great place to enjoy things,

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Went Plymouth – Santander with motorbike in 1998. Enjoyed it very much, and thought of doing it again. Price put me off – it was ridiculous – over £300 I think, and that was 10 years ago. We flew and hired cars instead for a fraction of the price.

atlaz
    Free Member

I did the Brittany Ferries run about 8 years back. Was fine really and although I wouldn’t go and see the entertainment on dry land, it wasn’t too bad and as others have said, you can get a decent meal. If you view it the same as driving (i.e. a neccesary evil) then you’ll have a good time, if you view it as a rplacement for a flight then it might well feel like purgatory 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

It is expensive – I think our one-way ticket is about £350, but we take the camper van so it’s an “unavoidable” cost for us. The alternative is at least 2 days, maybe even 3 driving (2.5 yr old Stoner Junior isnt a fan of 12hr non-stop drives), to get down that far. 1,300km, about £50 in tolls, and £100 in diesel, plus the £150 ferry at the top, so not that much different in the end.

uplink
    Free Member

I can see the benefit with kids in tow but otherwise I’d rather drive even if it costs more.
    I got booked on it once by a secretary at work instead of the normal Le Harve boat – jeez that was a boring trip.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Portsmouth to Bilbao fery’ is closed to new replies.