Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Portreath Biking
  • zippykona

Not going anywhere near the jumps!
    Pointers for some 2-3 hour routes would be nice.
    Does it get muddy? Are there lots of sand dunes?
    Bike choices are fatty. great in sand ,rubbish in mud or plus bike which is good everywhere.

dovebiker

Stayed in Portreath a few times and plenty of good routes. Obvious one is the Tramway ‘coast-to-coast’ to Devoran and back, mix of back roads and gravel. Avoid Tehidy Country Park if wet – it can get very muddy, particularly in winter. My favourite ride was on the old mine trails to Porthtowan, Chapel Porth, St Agnes Head and up to St Agnes Beacon – narrow and exposed in places up beyond Wheal Coates. Head to St Just and there’s some good riding on coast tracks out to Botallack, Cape Cornwall, Cot Valley, and if you’re feeling adventurous along to Sennen and Land’s End. There are a couple of bits where you have to negotiate some rocky steps with bike on your shoulder and an exposed ledge with a fair drop over some cliffs! For sand dunes, you could ride from the Hell’s Mouth out to Godrevy Point and dues at Gwithian. I also attempted to ride the coast path from Portreath to Porthtowan, past the old RAF station – the map doesn’t show the steeps ups and downs with lots of steps. Taken both fatbike and CX/gravel – the fatbike was particularly good on the steeper rocky stuff. Lots of the bridleways and tracks away from the coast can be overgrown and blocked with gates and brambles – can be pot luck

jam-bo

Shortest coast to coast ever..

dovebiker

Shortest coast to coast ever..

Under 40 minutes – disappointment is there’s not much in Devoran to celebrate such a ‘monumental’ achievement

zippykona

@dovebiker do you have any gpx I can pinch?

colournoise

The only coast to coast I’ve managed so far…

2020 10 28 bike 100 01

2020 10 28 bike 100 02a

(was followed by the ride back from Devoran to Sennen Cove, so was a biggish day out in the end)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.