Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Portable wood burning stove
  • partyboy1101
    Free Member

Has anyone used one of these with the flashing kit in a modern tent rather than the bell tents that they were designed to work in? I rather like the idea of a nice warm tent but don’t want to have to buy a new one.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’d be a bit concerned at introducing a live flame into the close proximity of nylon. At least with a big cotton/canvas bell tent you’ve got the fabric a long way from the heat source.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Carbon monoxide?

partyboy1101
    Free Member

That’s what the flue is for isn’t it?

LoCo
    Free Member

A mate has a stove made out of an old gas bottle (with flue out top) for his teepee, however it’s only portable in his car

tomaso
    Free Member

Its not just the heat from the flue it is the embers that can be emitted that then land on the tent and woof = shrink wrapped campers :mrgreen:

LoCo
    Free Member

The teepee is a canvas one and was hot enough in there to sit about in shorts and tee shirts in January in North Wales.

pictonroad

I have one, bought it off here, the flue is very very hot.

It’s not something I’d do myself.. the time to react to impending disaster could be very short.

remeber the stories of shell suits going up at BBQ’s in the 90’s.

TooTall
    Free Member

As said above, carbon monoxide too. Bell tent doesn’t have a sewn in groundsheet, modern tent probably does. Need to get air to the stove for combustion – that doesn’t come down the flue.

partyboy1101
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever come across an airtight tent. Point taken about heat and nylon though!

bokonon
    Free Member

Just as an aside, some of the fancy bell tents do have sewn in groundsheets.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ve never come across an airtight tent either, but if there were enough people in there plus a fire, that might be enough to reduce oxygen levels to dangerous.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Too Tall – Appologies for the daily mail link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2140326/Shropshire-campsite-death-Girl-14-killed-tent-barbecue-fumes.html

You really shouldn’t be running any kind of burning device in a nylon tent. Bell tent / tipee are very different animals, especially the tipee that has 2 layers of canvas at ground level with a several inch gap all around the base which is the air inlet for the chimney.

If you have ever been in a tipee with a real fire in the middle you can see the smoke getting pulled directly up the middle of the tent and out of the large hole at the top which also has flapps that can be adjusted for the prevailing wind direction etc.

My opinion is its not worth the risk either buy the correct tent or don’t bother.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Just put more clothes on. Camping isn’t meant to be about being warm – its about suffering, the cold, rain hammering down and having to pack up/pitch up in the wet.

AlexSimon

I can understand the worries about nylon, and my personal choice is cotton or polycotton. However, there are quite a few people who use wood burning stoves in nylon teepees.
    Look for info on Helsport tents and stoves for some inspiration.

It would need some thinking about though. Not to be done lightly and without understanding all the factors involved.

For example:
    Flue height compared with tent angle – sparks/embers come out of the end. Is there time for it to cool before it’s likely to hit your tent.

Temperature of the flue – my titanium one glows red at the bottom! It has a double-wall as it passes through the tent. Some use rubber flashing instead.

Space around the stove. We leave a knife dangling at the opposite side to the door so someone can cut their way out.

Floor material. Our is a tough poly material, but it has zips to pull it back away from the stove (revealing the ground). It gets pretty warm if straight on the floor and the legs are approx 8″.

I wouldn’t be as worried about fumes as some here, especially if it’s a good airtight system with a tall flue to draw the air through.

Stoner on here, got a good cheap portable stove for his shed – look for pics. Not lightweight though.

Here’s mine (with only half the flue in place):

Fourdog titanium stove. First burn by thingswelike, on Flickr

Trying to find a pic of it in the tent

AlexSimon

Here it is in the tent. As mentioned this is polycotton, although they do do nylon versions with exactly the same stove/fire capabilities:

If you want specific info from knowledgeable folk, then I heartily recommend http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/forum.php

AlexSimon

I found a video I remembered of the Helsport nylon basecamp tent with their stove in it.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbQ3muQoqHE[/video]

Edit: I should point out that all Helsport nylon fabrics are treated with fire retardent. But I don’t see why you couldn’t do the same. FOr example: http://www.stagesuperstore.co.uk/msl-firecheck-fire-proofing-spray-48-p.asp

birdage

Better sleeping bag? I have a frontier stove but wouldn’t use it in my nylon tipi.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Portable wood burning stove’ is closed to new replies.