Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Portable jet wash or car park cleaning options
  • sillysilly
    Free Member

Hey All,

Anyone got any tips on best way to clean a muddy bike using only items that can fit into the boot of my car. Have no outside running water right now aghhhh.

SirHC

Worx Hydroshot and a 10litre drum of water, washing when the mud is wet is key.

tjagain

or the cheapo version – 10 l plant sprayer from B&Q

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Worx is great, we have one with a 25 litre water container in the van. Had a Mobi which was also good, but it was a bit old and died.

Cheap version is the eBay version of the Worx off eBay. Friend used one and it’s fine. They are about £20.

Wally

From ebay + 25L water container + powerbank.

CheesybeanZ

+ Mobi

fathomer

Worx Hydroshot is an ace bit of kit.

GolfChick
    Free Member

+1 for the Wally option. We have the same in our van and it’s a brilliant bit of kit. Can’t really see why I’d spend more than that tbh or it would have to have a big functionality improvement to justify it. Like an inbuilt blow drier maybe.

doomanic

Another Mobi user here.

ta11pau1

Worx hydroshot, I have the brushless version (has a bit higher flow rate), and a 20l water container in the back of the car.

mattbee

Worx & 20l container of water along with a cheapo set of bike cleaning brushes from Planet X.
    Live permanently in the back of my motor.
    You can adjust the spray angle from ‘pencil’ to ‘shower’ type and none are really quite at ‘taking paint off’ pressure.
    Perfect for bike washing, muddy dog rinsing, boot cleaning and I’ve managed to pre soak and then rinse my motorhome with it on one battery.
    20l water good for two bikes if it’s not sticky mud (so Swinley, Welsh trail centre type stuff is ok but South Downs chalk needs more water/scrubbing.)

kayak23

I had the ebay special that Wally suggested combined with a 25l container. Brilliant. Nothing wrong with it essentially, apart from it’s kind of a collection of bits. I made a storage box for mine with all the bits screwed in so it could all be stowed easily. It worked really well, but I wanted an even more minimal setup.

I also found that being a 12v connection, you had to run that through a door. I shut the door on the cable a couple of times in cambered parking spaces(ditches) and it kinked and then slightly exposed the wire. The wire was kind of brittle and hard I found so easily damaged. Had to run it with the door ajar after that which obviously isn’t ideal although you can get a good distance from the power source. Might work better if you have a better accessible power source.

I have a Worx Hydroshot now. So much neater, plenty of power. Just that and a 25l container. Perfect. Only thing is you have to train yourself to remember to charge the battery…..and bring aforementioned battery with you… 😉

v7fmp

another vote for Worx Hydroshot!

Pickers

And another vote for the Hydroshot, as well as remembering to charge the battery!

Duane…
    Free Member

I’ve got a £20 ebay special, ziptied to the handle of a 15-ish litre jerry can. I then have a bit of netting glued to the side of the jerry can that holds all the hoses.
    All in one unit, works well, cheap. Sorted.

doomanic

Top tips for the Mobi;
    1. fill it with hot water before you go out. It stays hot/warm for ages and does a better job of cleaning the bike.
    2. put a small amount of MucOff in the tank. Wash as many bikes as you can with the first tank, then refill with plain water and rinse.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I bought a hydroshot last winter when my lad started doing cyclocross. I’ve never seen so much mud on a rider and bike in my life and I’ve been Mountain biking for 30 odd years.

Awesome for both the bike and the rider. Can’t recommend the tip of filling it with hot water before you go, highly enough. The lad actually enjoys it.

jonba
    Free Member

Another Worx fan. I had a cheap garden sprayer and it wasn’t powerful enough. If you are in Newcastle you can have it for £5.

The Worx with 25L of water does me a CX day with water to spare. So wash after warm up and inspection and 2 bikes at the end of the race. Powerful enough to shift thick claggy mud with only light brushing. Rare I would need any further cleaning when I get home if I didn’t rush it.

Tracey

We have had a Worx Hydroshot in the camper since they were first released. Far better than anything else we have tried and packs away into a small box. It shifted a load of mud over the years especially at race meetings.

I noticed in Lidl this weekend that they were selling off their version of the Hydroshot but cant comment on how it Works

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the aftermarket batteries for the Hydroshot?

I was looking at getting one as a spare for weekends away but wasn’t sure if they’d end up burning my garage down when I’m charging them?

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

I didn’t know these existed. New house we moved into has no outside tap and due to the layout of the house it would be a difficult/messy job to install. I’ve been using a hosepipe connected to a mixer tap but i’m bored of it pissing the kitchen through.

This will do the job perfectly connected to a water butt.

oikeith

eBay special cable tied to 25 lites drum here, no issues with the ebay special, it gets chunks of dirt of then I use a wet brush on the whole bike. 25 litres did 3 bikes easily after a winters ride.

I’ve made the mistake of leaving my drum full over winter and the water in it has gone quite manky!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Probably worth being careful with cheapo batteries. Saw this on facebook (obvs a lot more cells in a bike battery though!)

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FChichesterFire%2Fposts%2F3417479614937112&width=500

jairaj

Nothing new to add other than backup what’s already been said.

I used a cheap eBay special for many many years. I a used small lead acid battery with a lead so I didn’t have to plug it into the car. Screwed everything to a panel and then attached a Jerry can you that so it was an all one job although looked terrible and the electronics where open to get splashed. But nothing bad ever happened to me in many years of use.

I now have a Worx One and it’s more powerful and convenient to use as it’s in more compact and better packaged.

If money is tight go for the cheap option it worked very well for me for many years. If you can justify the cost of the worx then it will be a much more convenient solution.

I found I could wash two heavily muddy bikes with sticky clay mud with only 10l of water.

Trick is to use a brush to shift the mud. If you try and blast it with just water you’ll use up lots.

But if you do a quick splash to soften the mud. Attack with brush and cleaner and then finish with a good rinse the water will go a long way.

ta11pau1

I find with a spray down with fenwicks green cleaner, leave for a few mins (less if it’s warm as it dries) then a blast with the hydroshot, I don’t have to use a brush at all.

Quick dry off/wipedown with a rag and it’s good to go.

Get yourself a stand too to save you having to lean the bike against a random post/fence/your car.

jairaj

Note for people with Worx hydro shot. I found my Erbauer “non EXT” batteries were identical and work fine the Hydroshot.

I believe Erbauer now have a newer “EXT” battery which they claim is. It compatible with their older non EXT tools. I haven’t tried to test this claim.

But my non EXT batteries work fine in the hydroshot.

marksnook
    Free Member

Had 3 of those eBay specials over the course of a year. All broke with a couple months using them. My van requires my engine running to power the 12v so it feels a little anti social running my van while in a car park around a load of people.
    The £60 that the eBay specials cost is most of the way to a hydroshot so wished I just bought that in the first place!
    They are definitely better at doing the job in my eyes

tails
    Free Member

Lidl make a fake you say! Anyone got a link as I can only find a jetwash

Tracey

This is the only link I can find but they were 3 in the sale bin yesterday at our local,

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/parkside-20v-cordless-pressure-washer-bare-unit-3488090

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Is it worth the extra money for the Hydroshot brushless motor?

pothead
    Free Member

Worx Hydroshot and a 10litre drum of water, washing when the mud is wet is key

^^^ This

kayak23

Brushless should give you a bit more run time I guess.

ta11pau1

Is it worth the extra money for the Hydroshot brushless motor?

You get a better flow rate, a bigger battery and fast charger – 45 min charge time for the included battery.

Not much more power but the flow rate is much higher.

22bar vs 24bar
    120ltr/ hr vs 200ltr /hr

I’ll happily wash my car with the brushless version, the lower version doesn’t have enough water output to do a good job.

dirkpitt74

I’ve got a Mobile V15 – seems to work well.

drewd

I’ve tried the garden pump spray and it was ok but not perfect. I’ve now got s Worx Hydroshot and it’s much more powerful so better for getting mud out of tyre treads etc.

I noticed in Lidl this weekend that they were selling off their version of the Hydroshot but cant comment on how it Works

If I didn’t have the Worx version I’d be trying the Lidl one as it’s cheaper and although it doesn’t come with a battery or charger Lidl were selling 4AH batteries for not a lot. I can’t remember the exact price but the washer, battery and charger came to less than the Worx version.

tails
    Free Member

Nothing in the Cambridge Lidl boooo although probably better I go hydroshot just don’t fancy spending £100

biglee1

Another mobi 15 fan here 👍 top tip about the warm water 😁 Excellent bit of kit!

sillysilly
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Trip to Lidl, if no knockoffs in Stock Hydroshot it is.

sharkattack

I didn’t even know what a bloody Worx Hydrshot was until I read this thread and now I NEED one.

doomanic

Evesham Lidl has 2 of the Parkside Powershot copies.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Portable jet wash or car park cleaning options’ is closed to new replies.