• This topic has 306 replies, 103 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 307 total)
  • Porsche Macan
  • aracer
    Free Member

Your first point makes them selfish cars – clearly if everybody had SUVs then nobody would be able to see over other cars. For the vast majority of owners ground clearance is fine on a standard car (I’m tempted to suggest 100%, but there’s maybe the odd exception somewhere) – I’ve certainly done more “off roading” in my standard cars than most of those do and never had a problem with ground clearance (I’d also note that at the events I go to which involve driving off tarmac there’s probably a lower proportion of SUVs than in general use). Ease of getting in and out depends – having to climb up could make things harder.

In reality the compromise is design and marketing led.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Range Rover was the first (and still ?) luxury 4wd drive superbly capable off road and luxurious inside. What we see today is a derivation.

When launched the Macan had a 24 month wait and it’s still 6-9 months for petrol. It’s a brilliantly executed car people want to own.

aracer
    Free Member

Which is pretty much irrelevant for almost everybody buying one today.

What we see today is a derivation.

What we see today is something with a similar image.

It’s a brilliantly executed car people want to own.

I’m not sure that the latter implies anything about how good a car is.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustySpanner

The original Range Rover wasn’t luxurious.
    It was designed as a working vehicle that was more suited to mixed on/off road use than the Land Rover.

Ever sat in an early one?
    They’re all plastic and rubber, designed to be hosed out.
    The posh bits were added later, to appeal to the type of person described above.

The Macan is a fashion item.
    It was designed as such.

jekkyl

can you fit 2 29ers in the back with front wheels off?

shifter
    Free Member

All this hate is a waste of your time and energy.

Euro
    Free Member

If i was buying a Porsche it’d be a 911, not one that looks like a badly pimped Rover 200.

RustySpanner

🙂
    Buy one, it means nothing to me.

Cletus
    Free Member

Optional bike

Looks reasonable until you see the price.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Isn’t the cayman the sensible/informed choice of the whole range?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Isn’t the cayman the sensible/informed choice of the whole range?

Apparently it would be the best car in the range if the suspension engineers were allowed to do as they wanted. Couldn’t make it too good as they wouldn’t sell any 911s…
    Looks great in that blue as well.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It looks great IMO and enjoyed the ride in Jambas one a couple of year’s back.

Not sure it passed the golf club test – forget a 29er!

RichPenny
    Free Member

I watched it. It shows that you can buy a much better looking car that’s faster than a Macan Turbo for £18k less. I’m not sure you’ve made your point well 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

RichPenny

I watched it. It shows that you can buy a much better looking car that’s faster than a Macan Turbo for £18k less. I’m not sure you’ve made your point well

So lap times and appearances are the main factors when buying a car?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

They kind of lost interest with the rear end though…

j5kol
    Free Member

Well I was loaned the Macan for a day on Saturday and all I can say is wow. Drives like a sports car and the power is impressive. Refinement is also there, so foolish of me not to order one. Roll on May 2017 !!

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ just a couple of months after Brexit starts..

You sure?

RichPenny
    Free Member

So lap times and appearances are the main factors when buying a car?

Those were basically the two points from the post that the video was attempting to counter, yes. (well it was inefficiencies and appearance)

somouk
    Free Member

Well I was loaned the Macan for a day on Saturday and all I can say is wow. Drives like a sports car and the power is impressive. Refinement is also there, so foolish of me not to order one. Roll on May 2017 !!

What other cars have you tried of a similar design?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes indeed. I am cynical with sales people and when they told me the Macan drive was modelled on my Cayman I thought – yeah right. Salesman was right and I was wrong

Make sure if possible you can get a price guaranty as it seems likely prices will rise 10%

Bikebouy I am expecting new and used car prices to rise post A50 and thats without tariffs. If we have those they will both (new and used) rise further. Relative economic risk post A50 is all on Europe, I expect plenty of pressure from German (and French) car unions to put plenty of pressure on their Governments

jambalaya
    Free Member

What other cars have you tried of a similar design?

IMO there are none comparable, not even close. An Evoc ????

legend
    Free Member

they told me the Macan drive was modelled on my Cayman

4wd, front engined hatchback on stilts = Rwd, mid-engined low coupe that’s 500kg lighter? 😕

Or would I be right to assume that this ‘modelling’ is the steering/suspension/pedal feel when bimbling around?

j5kol
    Free Member

I have driven many cars in this category and owned high performance two seater sports cars and in my opinion the Macan doesn’t feel like a 4×4, it’s a sports car on steroids. I had read the reviews and didn’t think it would live up to the hype, I was proven wrong when I tested it on country roads/urban/motorway routes only to find it is everything they say it is.

clodhopper
    Free Member

I thought this would be about an exciting new sports car, from a legendary marque. 😳

No, it’s about a vulgar ego-chariot marketed at insecure people who need to feel somehow elevated from the common herd, yet can’t afford the ‘real deal’. It’s a glorified Audi ffs. 😆

The Chelsea Tractor is the evolution of the fact that some overprivileged matriarch, unable to ride horses any longer, yet still wanting to follow the local hunt etc, didn’t want to travel in a dirty old Land Rover, and insisted on something more in keeping with their overinflated sense of their own importance. Hence the development of the first Range Rovers (the more traditional shooting brakes were shit at getting around muddy fields). It gives the owner the illusion of status, without them actually needing any. They appeal to the insecure, because of the way they can substitute for inadequacies of character.

How interesting that such a pointless bauble is owned by a certain poster on this forum. 😆

A neighbour of ours, who is currently doing up an old LWB Landy with a view to offroading it round Iceland, sees Chelsea Tractors as ‘dick enlargements’ for the not so well endowed. A perfect summary, imo.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You want to put all your money in an uncertain and unproven Brexit, go ahead.

Car prices will slump as no one buys them for fear of expected massive job losses.

Wait for 12 moths then go in and expect 40% discount because they can’t shift em’.

bedmaker

A neighbour of ours, who is currently doing up an old LWB Landy with a view to offroading it round Iceland, sees Chelsea Tractors as ‘dick enlargements’ for the not so well endowed. A perfect summary, imo.

I see lots of females driving them 😯

I hope he has some ‘One life – live it’ stickers for the crowning glory of the restoration. 😆

I quite fancy getting some ‘on a driveway, covered in stinking transmission oil’ stickers made up to stick next to the one life ones..

retro83
    Free Member

The real deal being … ?

I hate the things in general, but by all accounts these are really rather good.

RustySpanner

I honesty hope you enjoy it.
    🙂

Not the brown, surely?

sbob
    Free Member

clodhopper – Member

As someone that doesn’t currently drive, can you imagine how large my penis must be?
    I could probably beat you to death with it! 😯

I take it you’re somewhere in between with a more average car type and penis size?
    Let me guess, are the limits of acceptably ostentatious car ownership defined by what you’ve decided to drive? 💡

jam-bo

not sure what he’ll make of the super-jeeps out there. they make chelsea tractors look modest

jimjam
    Free Member

sbob

As someone that doesn’t currently drive, can you imagine how large my penis must be?
    I could probably beat you to death with it!

Don’t be silly. The landrover penis expert will simply use some other metric to deride your genitals (whilst subtlety aggrandizing his own) such as your dog, your house, phone, power tools etc.

In comparison with a man who fixes landrovers with HIS OWN hands pretty much all penises are tiny. He can weld and drive at the same time after all.

Hope this helps.

santacoops
    Free Member

Aren’t Aston Martin going down this route too now?

(edit) and Bentley?

jimjam
    Free Member

Before Steve here bought this Mercedes-AMG G 63 6×6 he was a hugely endowed manly man. But just look at him now.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“The real deal being … ?”

This:

This:

And this:

IE, not some glorified shopping trolley…

jimjam
    Free Member

Do they increase penis size?

clodhopper
    Free Member

Owning one of those rebadged Audis is a bit like owning one of these:

😆

j5kol
    Free Member

I often nip to Booths in a LeMans car to pick up some spuds

ps: I don’t shop at Booths by the way, just thought I would prod the fire

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Do they increase penis size?”

Dunno. Can you afford one?

jimjam
    Free Member

Not this month. But for the sake of the others on the forum who may well be able to afford them it might be relevant information. Avoid the tiny penis stigma of a Porsche Macan, buy a classic Porsce Le Man car and bask in the shadow of your giant penis.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Not this month.”

Never mind eh. But maybe you can afford a t-shirt?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 307 total)

The topic ‘Porsche Macan’ is closed to new replies.