• This topic has 23 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by accu.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Porsche Bike Anyone?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Made by Votec, IIRC, so not actually a bad bike at all. Was around £8k new or something, priced to appeal to the sort of person who’d buy a Porsche bike.

onandon
    Free Member

It would go with my Porsche toboggan 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomhoward

Rode one when they were new. Was crap, even by the standards of the day 😆

woodster

The bike comes with a new set of brake pads ( front & rear

And there was me thinking Black friday wasn’t until the end of the week!

Quite like it though. But if I wanted a £4.5k Porsche to use off-road I’d get a ropey Cayenne S.

tomhoward

Iirc they were £3k ish new in 99/00. Which was about as much as you could spend on an off the shelf bike at the time

robhughes
    Free Member

Are the bars supposed to be in front of the front axle. 😆

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Would make a cracking pub bike, front bottle cage is ideal for hanging your takeaway from.

JoeG
    Free Member

Pair of Mercedes on my local CL. 🙄

accu
    Free Member

seems that this bike has still the original carbon fiber stems,
    there was an oficcial recall for all 2540 fs evo bikes from porsche because
    of problems with broken cfk stems,
    they changed it for ali stems, the original ones where injection molded carbon fiber…
    original price was 2108.-euros with spengle wheels, cane creek ad 10, magura luise brakes,votec gs air quadrat fork and xtr group..
    votec bought all the carbon frames, only the ali ones where welded/made by votec…
    their ali version was the f7 back then…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Very optimistic pricing, worth a few £100 ? Who cares about a Vortec with a Porsche sticker or two ?

njee20
    Free Member

they were £3k ish new in 99/00. Which was about as much as you could spend on an off the shelf bike at the time

You do not RC, they were far more. We had one of the earlier yellow ones in the shop once. It had massive triple clamps, like 40mm stantions, but only 100mm travel. Forget the exact figure, but it weighed over 40lbs. Complete shit.

Lester
    Free Member

bmw Q6 s
    i had one of these that was just as s***e, well made though, but heavy and the brakes wouldnt stop you. the shock was awful

http://www.foldingcyclist.com/BMW-folding-bike.html

bikebouy
    Free Member

Looks like it came out the same era/factory Treks Y5 came from…

Leku
    Free Member

Guardian cut and paste press release review of BMW bike;

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/nov/22/bmw-cruise-bike-review

zbonty

Not sure of the pricing but I worked in the shop that built them up before sending to dealers as we were near to Porsche HQ and the owners got chatting to some Porsche staff in the local curry house. They supplied bikes FOC for the team too.

The little red hardtail was a decent frame, the full suss as flawed as all the others in the mid/late 90s!

binners

AAAAARRRRRRGH!!! MY EYES!!!!!!

pickle
    Free Member

That is proper gash!

joat

This looks a little more promising, only Porsche “inspired” though.

leegee

In the paddock at the Spa round of the WEC the Porsche team were all getting round on Porsche branded ss commuter bikes.

njee20
    Free Member

This risks getting into a ‘Google off’ versus what we remember, but that would be a total bargain for a full XTR equipped carbon bike 15 years ago…

$10,612 here. Perhaps they were vastly cheaper in Germany? Not like online shopping was quite as prolific back then, but that’s a really really horrendous exchange rate!

Still, we’re all agreed they look/were crap.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

2 grand is probably what porsche had to drop the price to so they could clear the final 95% of their stock.

The last decent car brand bikes i can think of off the top of my head is the couple of years when Pashley were making some of the Land Rover ones.

accu
    Free Member

porsche had another recall for this bike before the stems because of the votec fork and carbon seatposts…so prices dropped finally ..
    (and dropped dramatically in a secret sale for the staff members)
    people where joking the only two recalls from porsche are the fs evo bike…
    for this reason they changed the manufacturer short time later,
    storck bikes,quite similar frame, different specs, acros mamba fork.. all black..and back to high prices
    and ..at that time lots of carbon frames broke..just think about the first cannondale raven…dealers where collecting broken frames in bunches to send them back to c..
    and this…

Still, we’re all agreed they look/were crap.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Porsche Bike Anyone?’ is closed to new replies.