Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Porlock/Minehead locals
  • thepurist

I’m down that way later this month for a few days of riding – I’ve got Max Darkins’ book, The Good MTB Guide & the OS Map and have realised I’m absolutely spoilt for choice. I’ve done a few trips to the Quantocks so will be heading over there for sure, but only 1 ride on Exmoor (West from Minehead, S from Porlock, then back via Horner Wood).

So what are the ‘must do’ bits and which bits are likely to be pointless muddy slogs in a few weeks time? If I know that I can probably stick a few loops together. Think it’ll be half term so nothing too cheeky.

Thanks!

singletracksurfer

Shillet wood from Hawkcombe Head is superb and worth extending with a small climb half way down to join the bridleway to the north/left of the valley. Selworthy Beacon bridleway or cheeky footpath to the north, any descent off (but not west) off Dunkery Hill all rounded off with some exploring of the many trails in Horner Wood (its only semi-cheeky).

You won’t have to worry about mud too much around the Porlock area tbh, it’ll just be a bit soft in places on the moors.

ceepers

the lynton/ valley of the rocks route in that book is pretty fun

skin
    Free Member

I rode Horner Wood/Dunkery several times a couple of years ago as I was staying locally for a course. It’s worth just climbing up to Dunkery beacon and just heading down anywhere. I loved it.

thepurist

Thanks so far folks – all useful info

ceepers

Meant to add, that lynton route was chips exmoor adventure in issue 69

http://singletrackworld.com/magarchive/issue-69/

thepurist

singletracksurfer – on that Shillett wood route I take it you mean heading N to the BW that runs along the top of the woods? Best to go up the fire road via the ford or that BW that sort of bends back on itself? Ta!

Pook

See the photos by chris Malone in that book? That’s me that is.

The descent to porlock is one of my favourites in the UK.

Email me for a gpx

thepurist

Pook – YGM!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Be careful of the fords on that descent – you could go over the bars and impale yourself on a brake lever, especially if drunk and on a BMX.

😐

Pook

Thepurist – I’ll try to do something for tonight for you.

acehtn
    Free Member

Ah a fellow Knight of Clunker eventer 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

The Hawkcombe descent is ace. Never done the cheeky 1/2 way “hang a left and ride a parallel descent to Porlock” option though.

snaps
    Free Member

Give me a shout when you’re down if you want showing around – I ride that area most weeks.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ah a fellow Knight of Clunker eventer

I salute you. 😉

acehtn
    Free Member

Performs the secret handshake 🙂

And scurries off to find a worthy steed 🙂

singletracksurfer

That’s the one. Sorry for the way late reply. For next time, I’d use the fire road as you don’t miss anything. The 2nd half of the trail from there to Porlock is great fun, rather than just a wide track.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Porlock/Minehead locals’ is closed to new replies.