Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Porcelain tiles – cleaning
  • alcolepone
    Free Member

I had some porcelain tiles fitted before christmas, all looked great. a winter later they were due for a clean, so got the jet wash out and scrubbed, but the was still footprint marks and discoloured tiles from mud. Disappointed, i went and got some product to clean the tiles better, to find even after 3 days cleaning they are still slightly discoloured. the website/store the tiles were bought from says easy clean and maintenance free.

https://www.stonesuperstore.co.uk/lagos-grey-porcelain-paving-slabs-2

i don’t think 3 days cleaning is easy! Speaking to the store, they says its due to either the grouting or the lack of protector applied before grouting.

The installer has been great throughout this and has really tried to help, but has said procelain tiles don’t need sealing. even the store website says they dont need sealing.

So why are the tiles so hard to clean? anyone had experience?

Clean tile
    how the tile should look like after being cleaned

dirty tile

and heres a heavy traffic tile, hard to see in the picture, but i believe this should look as good as the other, ignore the grouting and just the center. the dirty tile has been heavily scrubbed and ltp Grimex used. and yet it is still off color.

alcolepone
    Free Member

not sure the dirt shows very easily in pictures 😀

retrorick

I have the same problem with outdoor porcelain tiles. Bought light grey 600mm squares and they look grubby.
    Sealing them didn’t even cross my mind due to their ability to withstand the dirt. I have watched a few videos suggesting some sealants but not going to do it until I’ve cleaned the tiles.
    I have left the grout joints empty so there isn’t any issue from that either.
    I am hoping a stiff fine bristled brush and power washing might shift the majority of the stains.
    I have also used an oxy style cleaner, the stuff you can put in the washing machine.
    Going to try other cleaning products that are going cheap in the bargain stores also.
    I haven’t put too much effort into the cleaning yet so can’t really report on any one successful attempt.

alcolepone
    Free Member

Would been interested to know which tile you gave. Mine is a non slip type and is quite rough. I think this is why it had mud sticking to it.

I feel the website has mis sold the tiles. They sell them as easy clean and look the same all year round.

dave28
    Free Member

lithofin stain remover or one of there other products should work . try out on an small area first .
    and some porcelain do need sealing

cheekyget
    Free Member

I can’t see the footprint , have you tried limex acid cleaner? Thinking maybe the foot print is cement based mark left over from when the slabs were laid.
    From memory sealer is used after the slabs are laid to protect the slab /tiles from being stained from the grout and making them easier to clean

alcolepone
    Free Member

the foot prints are from walking mud from the garden on to the tiles, so not cement. just dried in mud, that i would expect water from a hose pipe to clean,but they remain sometimes even after a jet wash.

aP
    Free Member

There’s a constant discussion on the balance about slip resistance with ceramic tiles. The higher the slip resistance the harder it is to clean because they are textured to give the required number.
    An alternative is to use a product which has carborundum embedded within the matrix to provide the required slip resistance but they’re probably not so easily available on the domestic market.

alcolepone
    Free Member

aP, could you define harder to clean? My issue is the website states they are easy to clean, and i would accept a jetwash as easy (just about), but even a jet wash doesnt get rid of the mud discoloration, so i think there is a issue with the tiles? or have they mis sold the ability to clean the tiles?

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

What grout was used?
    If cementiuous then you’ll want an acidic grout haze remover.
    If epoxy, a good scrub with another specialty product or keep it simple with acetone.

I’d say it’s haze that’s the issue from installation.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.