Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • porage, how do you eat yours?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Quakers oats. 50g. 225g of semi skimmed milk. 2 minutes on 800W. 25g of raisins. Every single day. Mrs blobby despairs!

Reading that lot, no wonder a good percentage of you are overweight

Usually followed by pancakes, toast and an espresso 🙂

richmtb

Cook with milk, or half milk / half water.

Season with salt

Eat with spoon

Any other way is bourgeois

ocrider

[philistine]With milk and maple syrup, in the microwave[/philistine]

back2basics
    Free Member

oats
    water,
    quality brown sugar or honey
    cream
    spoon
    mouth
    belly

Jamie
    Free Member

Reading that lot, no wonder a good percentage of you are overweight

It seems Nick has his porage with a big helping of sweeping generalisations.

Sounds delicious!

nickc

Guilty as charged oh mighty gifious one 8)

But read those posts… Fruit sugar more sugar Demerara sugar Nutella dried fruit honey syrup… The list of sneaky add ins to an already carb heavy meal, and it wouldn’t be a massive surprise would it

Look at it like BMI, a bit pants for individuals but a good indicator of population, one post of sugar heavy breakfast a fatty does not make, but a loooong list of people..?

Yak

in the winter and before cold wet rides only.

and then:

V thick mix, barely any water – think flapjack consistency.
    Cook for only enough time to get hot
    Then arrange in a big mountain shape
    Add dried fruit, honey and a little lake of milk at the bottom.

Winner 🙂

speed12
    Free Member

A few drops of vanilla essence in the mix before cooking – lightens the whole thing and adds enough flavour/sweetness that you don’t need loads of sugar….not that that should stop you of course 🙂 A good one for out-of-winter porridge.

For depths of the darkest months – dried dates and a wee bit of very dark chocolate. Mmmm. A very good way to start a dreary winter day.

mikey74
    Free Member

No need for added sugar: just use dried and fresh fruit, mixed with cinnamon and soya or coconut milk.

Good idea with the vanilla extract, though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Pro-Tip:

Buy frozen berries/fruit. Chuck in your porridge before you nuke it in the microwave. That way it defrosts/cooks at the same time.

mogrim

Look at it like BMI, a bit pants for individuals but a good indicator of population, one post of sugar heavy breakfast a fatty does not make, but a loooong list of people..?

Porridge with sugar every day, and BMI of 22.5 8)

Like the frozen berries tip, that and a banana and a bit of honey should be enough to cover my sweet tooth cravings and wind nickc up nicely 😀

AdamW
    Free Member

Am currently doing an experiment for cold porridge. Three cups, one with 20g posh oats, two with 20g cheap oats. Posh+1 cheap has sultanas and 100g soy milk (don’t tend to drink moo milk). Other cheap has sultanas and 100g water.

Leaving overnight in the fridge to see what happens. I want to eat oaty stuff but don’t fancy it hot in the morning.

Jamie
    Free Member

@AdamW

I think you’re essentially making ‘gazpacho’ flapjacks.

mogrim

I think you’re essentially making ‘gazpacho’ flapjacks.

WTF has gazpacho got to do with it???

Gazpacho has tomatoes, green pepper, onion, garlic, cucumber, vinegar, olive oil, salt and water. Of these only one ingredients is present in AdamW’s frankly disgusting sounding experiment. You might as well have said he’s making lentil stew flapjacks, that’s got water too 🙂

grievoustim
    Free Member

I have cold soaked oats all the time in the summer

half a cup of oats, whole cup of milk

leave to soak in fridge overnight

in the morning add honey + banana, or grated apple

stick to hot porridge when its cold outside

Jamie
    Free Member

WTF has gazpacho got to do with it???

Gazpacho is a soup made of raw vegetables and served cold

😛

LoCo
    Free Member

big oats 2/3 water 1/3 goats milk & salt

mogrim

Not convinced, I know what gazpacho is and oats don’t come into it…

gazc
    Free Member

with one of these

Bazz

1 part oats, 1 part water, 1 part milk, serve with maple syrup and toasted almond slices and chopped hazlenuts.

_tom_
    Free Member

No need for added sugar: just use dried and fresh fruit

So added sugar then.

nickc

I get your gazpacho reference Jamie, even if that clearly uneducated oaf mogrim doesn’t 😆

homer

Made with milk, cut up dried figs then microwave. Pecans on top.

mogrim

I get your gazpacho reference Jamie, even if that clearly uneducated oaf mogrim doesn’t

kcal

bit less than 2:1 water / oats, pinch of salt, simmer, add bit milk. serve – with some cream.

Speeder

3/4 cup outs – can’t remember the brand but they came in a box
    3/4 cup soya milk
    3/4 cup water
    pinch salt
    some cinamon – probably a 1/2 teaspoon but I just shake it out, who knows how much but as per one of the iDave suggestions, it makes you forget it’s not a sweetened breakfast.

It’s not delicious but I do feel better for it.

mikey74
    Free Member

So added sugar then.

No, no added sugar. We are allowed to eat fruit, aren’t we?

Ps: not a question

Scapegoat

Half mug Sainsburys Taste the Marketing whole rolled oats, mug of water, third of a mug of milk, teaspoon of sweetener, good pinch of salt. Simmered but most importantly stirred to break out the starch, until it is thick enough to stay on the spoon upside down, then a banana sliced into it and eaten.

bruneep

Banana and maple syrup

athgray
    Free Member

Syrup and plenty of milk. I don’t microwave it too long. I like it quite thin. More like a porridge soup.

garage-dweller

I am a milk and syrup person but rarely eat it more than once a week. Made by Mrs gd in a saucepan with basic oats.

I also have ready mix flavoured porridge in the office for the occasional days I ride in.

robland
    Free Member

Just milk 3 minutes in microwave.

_tom_
    Free Member

No, no added sugar. We are allowed to eat fruit, aren’t we?

Yeah, but sugar’s still sugar no matter where you get it from.

user-removed
    Free Member

I eat mine properly spelt. GRRRrrrR. And with raisons and a banana chopped into it before a three minute microwave (with milk). Seven minutes?!

slowoldman

rendo – Member
    traditional porridge i have

…and if it’s good enough for Joda.

I go for jumbo oats, milk, salt, lovingly stirred and heated in a saucepan to just the right consistency (Goldilocks would understand). Then serve and dribble on a little Golden Syrup.

cliffyc
    Free Member

When I’m at work,early doors,I make what I call Fleece Poridge. I use Mornflake Oats (one of the oldest companies in Britain,history fans),an old 600ml poly soup pot (from ready-made soup) with a snap lid, and any fleece top or blanket (keeps the heat in). Boil the kettle,add boiling water to pot, half-full of oats,brown sugar (1 tsp )and powdered milk (1 tblspn)- if you want a creamy porridge,then stir,pop on the lid. The first fill of boiling water should be just eno#ugh to make a thick consistency. Wrap lidded pot in fleece. Wait about 4 minutes,remove pot lid and stir in a little more boiling water. Tastes lovely first thing and no pan to wash up!.

mogrim

Happy to report I had a bowl of Scottish Gazpacho (TM) this morning, although in keeping with the un-gazpacho nature of the stuff I heated it up. Mornflakes, too 🙂

AdamW – was the experiment a success?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

One tea cup of porridge mixed with one cup of milk and one water.
    Add pinch of salt and sprnkle of black pepper. Stir. Bring to bubbling, stir occasionally and simmer.
    Add tablespoon of manuka honey to serve. mmmmmmm.
    This takes exactly the same time as it does to boil the kettle.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Timed kettle,cold to boiling (minimum level) at 80 seconds. Asda Smart Price kettle mind,there may be faster ones,here at work……where there is no microwave….. or cooker. Will try black pepper in next time sounds nice. 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

Nuked 3 mins, milk and bloody great spoon of chocy spread or ice cream sauce. Caramel is good
    As chocky spread inevitably is nutty :?it also counts as 1 of my 5 a day 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘porage, how do you eat yours?’ is closed to new replies.