Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Popped my Waitrose cherry
  • tinribz
    Free Member

Today. To see what all the fuss was about, expectations were perhaps a little high.

Shelves bare bar a suspicious abundance of grey looking crayfish sandwiches. And strange offerings titled ‘wraps’.

3 of 20 tills manned,clogged with OAPS arguing the case for 241 offers.

Spent 20 mins queuing for dummy self service tills that you need to pre-register for WTF!

Distinct absence of meal deals.

What am I missing out on? Should I be Google mapping Sainsburys the morrow?

DT78
    Free Member

M&S is where it’s at

nealglover
    Free Member

Should I be Google mapping Sainsburys the morrow?

No, you should stop exaggerating 😉

20 minutes queuing for a till ?

Mmmmm ok.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Waits for a sub-jock to mention Booths.

Jamie
    Free Member

Haze

What am I missing out on?

Beer section usually has a few delights kicking about…

MrSmith
    Free Member

They do Thornbridge Jaipur and wild swan, the cheese is good too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member
    Waits for a sub-jock to mention Booths.

Sub-jock?

Booths is nice though but so is Waitrose

Stoner
    Free Member

Was it a real Waitrose or just one of those potemkin Waitrose they pepper the North with to confuse the whippetry?

Drac

Never found it to be anything special either, some of their stuff is nice but not any better than M&S or higher end supermarket’s own brands.

JCL
    Free Member

It’s mostly quality stuff. If you don’t see any difference from Tesco you’re maybe a bit of a chav?

Drac

Nah! It’s just if I want quality I don’t buy supermarket stuff.

If I do then I get their higher end stuff which as I’ve said is no different to Waitrose own.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Big new one opening up March 20th at the site of the old Coop at the Salford roundabout in Keynsham. (Tbf to Waitrose, they’re offering 125 new jobs as well as employing all the existing Coop staff.)

somouk
    Free Member

I have to agree with some of the above, M and S is where it’s at.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

M&S is where it’s at

I love M&S Food Hall…keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose.

If one can’t tell the difference between Waitrose and the other supermarkets, then one is encouraged to continue filling one’s trough elsewhere. The best thing about shopping at Waitrose isn’t the food, it’s not having to share the same space with the feckless masses.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Sub-jock?

Northener.

boltonjon

The girls on the check out are way prettier than the gorillas in Tescos

Always cheers me up after a shite commute 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Of course, there’s an added benefit…
    Waitrose top for organic vegetables, customer service and milfs

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

MrSmith, if you’re reading this, cheers for this post.. Went with the Zetter.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Top choice. I hope you had at least 2 cocktails.

Kryton57

Ocado is where it’s at. It’s wait rose with a cherry on top. Still waiting for one of the calendars girls to make an appearance as our driver though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Top choice. I hope you had at least 2 cocktails.

Nah…rooftop studio booked for end of May. Looks pretty cool, as does Bistro Loubet.

zilog6128

If one can’t tell the difference between Waitrose and the other supermarkets, then one is encouraged to continue filling one’s trough elsewhere. The best thing about shopping at Waitrose isn’t the food, it’s not having to share the same space with the feckless masses.

this

The girls on the check out are way prettier than the gorillas in Tescos

and this

Having said that, I do most of my shopping in M&S (nice stuff) and Aldi (everything else) these days!

jamiea
    Free Member

Ocado is where it’s at. It’s wait rose with a cherry on top. Still waiting for one of the calendars girls to make an appearance as our driver though.

+1

We’ve been doing the Ocado thing for a few weeks now, saves an hour over the weekend popping to the supermarket.

Cheers,
    Jamie

budgierider67

They sell the best fresh pain aux raisins & croissants. I’m off out for my morning fix in a minute.

Yak

Properly awful place. Occasionally pop in as they stock a few things that I can’t get elsewhere, but it puts me in bad mood.

The thing that grates me is the type of leisure shopper you find there – lets call them posh old biffers (POBs). Typically what will happen is that I’ve nipped in at lunchtime, razzed round the store to get my shopping, avoiding the POBs, then join a checkout behind a POB. When the POB gets to packing her shopping, a variety of wicker baskets come out and she then deliberates each shopping item for size, or type and then which basket it should go in…wtf!! The process couldn’t get any slower if you tried. GET A MOVE ON.
    You don’t get this sort of thing in Aldi – its shopping, not an event..grrr!

Anyway rant over. Food’s fine, just the POB problem. I’ll take my impatience (and large chip) somewhere else. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Were you in a town centre ‘Little Waitrose’ at lunchtime perhaps?

Try doing your shopping in a big one in the evening. Ours is quiet, peaceful, clean and staffed with well trained polite and helpful staff.

Our Asda is rammed, noisy with crap pop music cranked up, chaotic and messy.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I love M&S Food Hall…keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose.

Waitrose keeps the riff-raff out of Wholefoods.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Try doing your shopping in a big one in the evening. Ours is quiet, peaceful, clean and staffed with well trained polite and helpful staff.

Agreed. Waitrose in Salisbury is a delight. Excellent staff, and never feels that much like mayhem, even in the run up to the coming apocalypse Christmas. Very friendly place, maybe because of the type of customer, but certainly helped by the staff.

peterfile
    Free Member

Waitrose keeps the riff-raff out of Wholefoods.

+1

Lidl = practical Dacia
    Tesco = run of the mill Vauxhall people carrier
    Sainsburys = basic model BMW on PCP
    M&S = boring Mercedes
    Waitrose = ghastly Range Rover (plus matching his/hers body warmers)
    Wholefoods = car? who cares about my car? only commoners care about what car they drive.

(i’m a commoner who shops at wholefoods, so not sure where I fit in!)

jamiea
    Free Member

They sell the best fresh pain aux raisins & croissants. I’m off out for my morning fix in a minute.

They always seem to overbake them in our local store 🙁 Have a go at making your own, pretty time consuming, but worth it- miles better than any you can buy in a supermarket.

Cheers,
    Jamie

Yak

yes – little town-centre waitrose. Looks like a tory party conference minus the blokes.

But I need to go occasionally as their own brand expresso coffee goes through my machine better than all the others.

tbf – I get bothered in most supermarkets. Home delivery is my preference and then I regularly swap between all the brands as they give good deals to entice you back.

montarius
    Free Member

ummmm?

20 min queue for a till and having to pre-register for self checkout?

Stop making up nonsense.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’ve waited 20 minutes to get served before. Had my meal deal in the queue and the cashier put the rubbish in the bin.

Odd experience.

*not a lie*

sbob
    Free Member

Yak – Member

yes – little town-centre waitrose. Looks like a tory party conference minus the blokes.

Doing so well…

But I need to go occasionally as their own brand expresso

…but he’s fallen from the herd, cast out, alone.

CaptJon
    Free Member

People are still going into supermarkets these days? How quaint.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Waitrose – a range of crumpet, customers and staff, to suit all ages.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Our only proper supermarket is Waitrose and use it regularly

Some nice stuff and service is pretty good, prices are competitive especially when it would cost me petrol money to go anywhere else.
    Free newspaper if you spend over a fiver with the loyalty card. shame its only the Mail, Telegraph or Guardian so just weigh in 30p for the I.

Don’t know what all the fuss is about, just another shop and no better/worse than others I have been in

miketually
    Free Member

How the other half live.

MrOvershoot

Yak – Member

Properly awful place. Occasionally pop in as they stock a few things that I can’t get elsewhere, but it puts me in bad mood.

The thing that grates me is the type of leisure shopper you find there – lets call them posh old biffers (POBs). Typically what will happen is that I’ve nipped in at lunchtime, razzed round the store to get my shopping, avoiding the POBs, then join a checkout behind a POB. When the POB gets to packing her shopping, a variety of wicker baskets come out and she then deliberates each shopping item for size, or type and then which basket it should go in…wtf!! The process couldn’t get any slower if you tried. GET A MOVE ON.
    You don’t get this sort of thing in Aldi – its shopping, not an event..grrr!

Anyway rant over. Food’s fine, just the POB problem. I’ll take my impatience (and large chip) somewhere else.

Ha you have just described my step-mother, every time I visit her in Bristol she wants to visit Waitrose which turns into a living hell of indecision over every little thing to go in the trolley.
    The final knife in my withering soul comes at the checkout as you perfectly describe the endless deliberating what bag/basket to put things in, followed by the painful search through the mega handbag for one of three purses that contain every bloody card she’s owned since about 1980 & then comes the 110 decibel Horse & Hound style conversation with the checkout girl as to what the PIN is & can’t she just sign like she used to.
    By the time we are out I have an irrational hatred of any of the food now in the bags.

In many respects the Aldi way of scanning it back into the trolley & you sort it out away from the till would work much better for her.
    The funny thing is I used to go to that very Waitrose store with my mother back in the 70’s and I have to say its looking a bit of a dump compared to my local Sainsbury’s!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Popped my Waitrose cherry’ is closed to new replies.