Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)
  • Pope Resigns
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Scandal coming??? I wonder….

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304

scuttler

zokes
    Free Member

He’s not been found out to be dyslexic and has actually been telling people to worship Dog, has he?

thx1138
    Free Member

Has a pope ever resigned? I thought they just died.

I wonder what the former Hitler Youth member will do next?

Will this spell the beginning of the end of the Vatican/Roman Catholic church?

philconsequence
    Free Member

pope

who?

</stw response>

geoffj

Was looking a bit doddery recently – Alzheimer’s?

allthepies
    Free Member

IBT….

unklehomered
    Free Member

Discovered to have been using EPO when he won in 2005?

andrewh
    Free Member

[pedant]I thought they abdicated rather than resigned?[/pedant]

unklehomered
    Free Member

I sense a new reality TV series coming!

POPE IDOL!!!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Magic hat not working, I presume..,.

allthepies
    Free Member

Proven to have horse meat content ?

binners

unklehomered
    Free Member

****[mod]

#too soon?#

Seriously though urban Feral Popes are a problem we have ignored for too long…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ9sJVJMiYM[/video]

hammerite
    Free Member

Calendar and postcard sales. That’s what I put it down to.

The current pope was nowhere near as popular as John Paul in the sale of these items when I went to look round the Vatican. Perhaps they’re getting a bit skint so the RC CEO has decided to move him on.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Quote from Pope’s personal message today

I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfil the ministry entrusted to me.

Perhaps news of someone’s illness and subsequent incapacity to fulfil their role will be treated with some respect?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

financial irregularities….. the money was just resting in his account 🙄

zokes
    Free Member

Perhaps news of someone’s illness and subsequent incapacity to fulfil their role will be treated with some respect?

Depends what the role is. In charge of a group worshiping a magical sky wizard whilst causing huge damage to many people across the world, then perhaps not.

aracer
    Free Member

Has a pope ever resigned?

Not in modern times according to the article linked in the OP 🙄

I assumed the topic title must be a joke – this is really a massive surprise. It’s hard to believe he’s struggling more than JP2 was by the end.

Cue another long argumentative thread about religion – having made my useful contribution I’m out.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

zokes – Member
    Depends what the role is. In charge of a group worshiping a magical sky wizard whilst causing huge damage to many people across the world, then perhaps not.

Sigh…wishful thinking! I am out too – but polite request to mods made to save us from another religion bashing thread especially if someone is ill.

zokes
    Free Member

especially if someone is ill.

I’m not sure being ill is a suitable defence for the actions of some of his church.

And he has had chance to change a lot of things – the spread of HIV in Africa due to the dogged view of contraception being a start.

Then there would be the systematic cover up of child abuse.

Or would those be ‘ecumenical matters’?

GrahamS

retro83
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    Not in modern times according to the article linked in the OP

When the thread was posted that article was about 3 sentences long, they’ve plonked the extra bit in recently.

konabunny
    Free Member

If there’s one thing the Catholic Church is known for, it’s being respectful, sensitive and supportive of the weak and afflicted. Those in fact were the hallmarks of Ratzinger’s handling of both priests that stood up for the poor and reports of priests abusing children.

aracer
    Free Member

He does look awfully frail in the videos. A year younger than the queen (and only a few years older than my mum) – I wonder what she will do if she gets to the point where she can no longer fuflfil her duties? Or is she personally not so important as the pope, in the sense that most of her duties can be performed by other members of her family?

<desperate attempt to deflect this into a discussion about the British constitution>

binners

Maybe he’s hedging his bets and is giving Islam a go?

Cougar

He’s 85. As Billy Connolly said of Ronald Reagan, “he’s the same age as my dad and we don’t let him have the TV remote.”

footflaps

Well I did express my criticisms of the Catholic Church when I was at the Vatican on Saturday, but I didn’t expect them to take it that seriously!

warton
    Free Member

when said person is head of an organisation that systematically covers up child abuse, I’d say he’s fair game.

footflaps

He just fancied a shag before he pegs!
    Can’t blame him for wanting to see what he’s been missing!

This is the Catholic Church, they’ve been raping children in their care for 100s of years!

peterfile
    Free Member

I have no useful contribution to make 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

most of her duties

There are only a handful of required duties (opening parliament, asking leader of party with most seats to form government, receiving credentials of ambassadors, handing out medals) and they’re all ceremonial and she is not required to do anything more than show up and say what she has been told to say. If she didn’t show up, nothing substantial would change. She is a classier TOWIE celebrity.

The Pope is the CEO of the most successful global franchise, a dictator of a wealthy opaque financial hub, and messenger of God on earth with millions of followers, some of whom are in unstable places.

Cougar

Not that I’m particularly royalist, but I’ve read an article detailing what the Queen does all day. “Required” duties or no, she does a surprising amount of daily work.

grum
    Free Member

Not that I’m particularly royalist, but I’ve read an article detailing what the Queen does all day. “Required” duties or no, she does a surprising amount of daily work.

Yeah subverting our supposed modern democracy can be quite time consuming.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/14/secret-papers-royals-veto-bills
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/15/ministers-exploited-royal-veto-legislation

Whitehall papers prepared by Cabinet Office lawyers show that overall at least 39 bills have been subject to the most senior royals’ little-known power to consent to or block new laws. They also reveal the power has been used to torpedo proposed legislation relating to decisions about the country going to war.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Illness or no illness he will still be replaced with another blithering idiot!

Get well soon old ex pope dude.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Oh, c’mon my post wasn’t that bad was it? 😆

Cougar

the most senior royals’ little-known power to consent to or block new laws.

I don’t really understand why that article keeps papping on about “little known secrets”; isn’t this common knowledge?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

the most senior royals’ little-known power to consent to or block new laws.

I don’t really understand why that article keeps papping on about “little known secrets”; isn’t this common knowledge?

Not been covered in Chat/Heat/Today for ages, people forget.

RustySpanner

I absolutely despise Margaret Thatcher.
    However, I don’t gloat in the fact that she’s seriously ill or wish her a painful, lingering death.
    That would just be ignorant, unpleasant and stupid.

I’m not a huge fan of the Church either, but to revel in someone elses pain and illness is, frankly, repulsive.

Still, if you’re going to flaunt your credentials as a spiteful, ignorant, nasty individual, then this place is as good as any.

Sigh…wishful thinking! I am out too – but polite request to mods made to save us from another religion bashing thread especially if someone is ill.

However, I strongly disagree with this – let it run – no right not to be offended etc.

grum
    Free Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/aug/31/secret-royal-veto-powers-exposed

The information commissioner ruled last year that details about it could no longer be kept secret. But you knew already eh? Spooky. 🙂

I think everyone knew they could theoretically do it but assumed they didn’t (what with us supposedly being a democracy and all). But they do.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Pope Resigns’ is closed to new replies.